Equifax Hacked Jul 29- 143M Americans, Unknown # of Canadians

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 8:39 am
Jan 13, 2009
58 posts
5 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:31 pm
Opened a bank account and the statements are mailed to your current address?
I'm not 100% sure how to answer this question. I'm in the process of moving so some of my credit products still have my old address and some have my new address. my new house is being renovated so I'm keeping my old rental. so the documents went to my rental.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15749 posts
4654 upvotes
Ottawa
elfion wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:35 pm
I'm not 100% sure how to answer this question. I'm in the process of moving so some of my credit products still have my old address and some have my new address. my new house is being renovated so I'm keeping my old rental. so the documents went to my rental.
Hopefully the damage isn't too big.
Time to put a fraud alert with the bureaus.
Jan 13, 2009
58 posts
5 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:41 pm
Hopefully the damage isn't too big.
Time to put a fraud alert with the bureaus.
well I mean I didn't really lose any money, not yet anyway. Scotia detected that something was wrong and called me. I wonder what gave it away. Was it the fact that I already have a bunch of other things with them under another name? lol. anyway, I did place fraud alerts on Equifax...but TransUnion. Oh man, these guys are an even bigger joke apparently. So I call their call centre. The inbound IVR they have is truly an IVR from HELL. Like, it won't connect you with anyone, it won't let you press buttons until it finishes talking etc. So anyway, I finally get connected. The quality of the call is just horrible, clearly they are using VoIP and something is terribly wrong with their lines. I barely can sustein the conversation. The lady asks me to go through multiple choice security questions authentication. I think I failed some stupid question so the lady tells me - the system doesn't let me continue, you should go online and do it there. So I go and I do the same thing online. I don't even get to the security questions, the website tells me I can't do this online, I have to call in. So I call in again, now their lines are so messed up that I can barely understand the IVR. When I finally get connected I just hear "GULB GULB GULB ... hard time hearing you, Sir... GULB GULB GULB". So yea, I don't know how I'm going to put fraud alerts with TransUnion...
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
2351 posts
818 upvotes
elfion wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:20 pm
ok here we go. so somebody opened a chequing account in Scotiabank under my name with 2.5K in overdraft protection.
When was the account opened and how did you learn of it?
Loose lips sink ships.
Jul 10, 2007
301 posts
9 upvotes
I don't care if Equifax says that a small percentage of CDNs are affected by this hack. I bet my life the hackers made out with every bit of information that Equifax had on anybody. Everyone is at risk and even Equifax says I'm not, they don't have the proof that the hackers didn't make out with my info. Plus, they would probably just say it wasn't stolen to avoid confrontation with you.

This hack makes me wonder why need so many credit monitoring services. For heaven sakes, most can't get your info right.
Aug 6, 2012
246 posts
393 upvotes
AURORA
Just found this on equifax.ca:
Are you concerned you are affected by the Canadian impact of the breach against Equifax?
We are still investigating, but this is what we know now:
Only a limited number of Canadians may have been affected. We are working on finding out how many.
The breach is contained.
At this point, it seems the personal information that may have been breached includes name and address and Social Insurance Number.
We will update this information as we learn more.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2133 posts
491 upvotes
so SIN was leaked :(. Does anyone remember what CRA did when they leaked some accounts with SINs a few years back? did they give free protection or something?
Sep 28, 2007
915 posts
47 upvotes
azhang24 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:08 am
At this point, it seems the personal information that may have been breached includes name and address and Social Insurance Number.
We will update this information as we learn more.
The SIN is by far the most important information. At least Americans have the option of a credit freeze, Canadians are stuck with putting flags at the bureaus. Far less effective than the American option.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15749 posts
4654 upvotes
Ottawa
Just received an email from Mogo, that they're working to push out alerts for all new credit inquiries.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2810 posts
438 upvotes
Aurora, ON
vkizzle wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 6:40 pm
Just received an email from Mogo, that they're working to push out alerts for all new credit inquiries.
I signed up with them a few days back, got instant credit score. I think they'll email monthly so that I can keep a track of my credit that way. I'd imagine they're doing a booming business this week! Yes, I saw that email that if there is a change you'll get notified instantly...nice service!
Jan 13, 2009
58 posts
5 upvotes
McMaggot wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 12:07 am
When was the account opened and how did you learn of it?
not sure, a few days ago. remember, the data leaked MONTHS ago. they only decided to tell the public about it now. like i mentioned above, scotia fraud called me. there were plenty of reasons to suspect fraud. for starters the name was wrong.
Last edited by elfion on Sep 12th, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 13, 2009
58 posts
5 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 6:40 pm
I'm pretty sure these alters will be delayed by up to a month, which is the frequency with which equifax refreshes the data.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4677 posts
327 upvotes
Victoria
So Equifax had a publicly accessible website which had access to SIN numbers plain text. That's absolute madness. I wouldn't even visit equifax.com if I were you never-mind their "status site" which is probably a honeypot.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15749 posts
4654 upvotes
Ottawa
elfion wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 6:57 pm
I'm pretty sure these alters will be delayed by up to a month, which is the frequency with which equifax refreshes the data.
Better than nothing, considering Mogo is free.
It's going to be interesting in the next few months.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
2351 posts
818 upvotes
dealguy2 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 7:29 pm
So Equifax had a publicly accessible website which had access to SIN numbers plain text.
Where did you read that?
Loose lips sink ships.