Equifax mixed my account :(

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2013 8:10 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 22, 2013
1 posts

Equifax mixed my account :(

I am currently subscribed to Equifax monitoring service and last night i received an alert about some account changes, i had logged it and pulled a new report. My score was dropped by significantly. And surprisingly when i checked, i saw my name being changed to my brother names and all his credits become under my name (his cc, student loans, his address, his previous employer name) and it include my credit all in one. It seems like the account somehow been merged. However the social security number and date of birth is mine. I just cannot understand how this endup happening. I have been extremely prudent with my credit score since i am looking to purchase a house, hence the reason i signed up to the monthly monitoring service. Now i have a whole hassle in trying dispute it.

what should be my next steps, beside filing for correction? Should i consider taking any legal option against them? please advise..
7 replies
Mar 4, 2007
541 posts
416 upvotes
Halifax
No legal action. A phone call should sort it out. This is a really stupid mistake on their part but it happens. Phone them ASAP.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29971 posts
1297 upvotes
Fernando Po
Saw a report on the reporting agencies, think it was 60 Minutes, they said that they never change anything in a report. When you call to have a correction made, you're patched to India or Brazil and it ends there (they have no line back to the reporting agency). The only thing you can do is hire a lawyer and threaten to sue, they'll lose but it will cost you thousands.

Here you go\:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50153672n
Mar 4, 2007
541 posts
416 upvotes
Halifax
hagbard wrote:
Nov 9th, 2013 1:58 pm
Saw a report on the reporting agencies, think it was 60 Minutes, they said that they never change anything in a report. When you call to have a correction made, you're patched to India or Brazil and it ends there (they have no line back to the reporting agency). The only thing you can do is hire a lawyer and threaten to sue, they'll lose but it will cost you thousands.

Here you go\:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50153672n
This might be one of the dumbest things ever posted on RFD. They can and absolutely will change a legit error on your credit report. Just might make you just through a few hoops first...
Aug 10, 2013
26 posts
4 upvotes
Hmm... If a phone call doesn't work, fill in their dispute form with the corrections and they'should update it within 2-6weeks.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29971 posts
1297 upvotes
Fernando Po
cheruboo wrote:
Nov 9th, 2013 3:12 pm
This might be one of the dumbest things ever posted on RFD. They can and absolutely will change a legit error on your credit report. Just might make you just through a few hoops first...
Take it up with CBS.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7073 posts
1970 upvotes
Financial District B…
patelmoh wrote:
Nov 9th, 2013 10:43 am
I am currently subscribed to Equifax monitoring service and last night i received an alert about some account changes, i had logged it and pulled a new report. My score was dropped by significantly. And surprisingly when i checked, i saw my name being changed to my brother names and all his credits become under my name (his cc, student loans, his address, his previous employer name) and it include my credit all in one. It seems like the account somehow been merged. However the social security number and date of birth is mine. I just cannot understand how this endup happening. I have been extremely prudent with my credit score since i am looking to purchase a house, hence the reason i signed up to the monthly monitoring service. Now i have a whole hassle in trying dispute it.

what should be my next steps, beside filing for correction? Should i consider taking any legal option against them? please advise..
What you are experiencing is a common problem.
We decline applications for credit on a regular basis due to mis-match, duplicate and fragmented bureaus.
Much of this is due from people applying for credit with adopted English first names, inverted/reversed full names, shortened or abbreviated names, or incorrect DOB's.
Any of these app procedures will cause identities to be cross-ref'd with other bureau ident data.
Yes, there are lots of people out there who can't get any credit products until they get their bureau fixed with the correct idents.

Worst case scenario is your brother(or you) have a dispute with a creditor and a collections tradeline gets reported to the credit bureaus. That tradeline can hurt you(if reported correctly) or you brother(if reported incorrectly) vis-versa - (well, actually the creditor thinks its reported correctly but your ident data is so fragmented to the point that it reports to the ident it matches.)
You will have to speak to your brother and devise a policy on how each of you will apply for credit from now on. Always disclosing SIN's and/or adding birthed middle names is a plausible solution.

I've had lots of posting replies in regards to dupe and fragmented bureau idents. This latest thread may help
multiple-credit-bureau-inquiry-problem- ... st17663564
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8135 posts
2436 upvotes
Toronto
mikeymike1 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2013 3:56 pm
What you are experiencing is a common problem.
We decline applications for credit on a regular basis due to mis-match, duplicate and fragmented bureaus.
Much of this is due from people applying for credit with adopted English first names, inverted/reversed full names, shortened or abbreviated names, or incorrect DOB's.
Any of these app procedures will cause identities to be cross-ref'd with other bureau ident data.
Yes, there are lots of people out there who can't get any credit products until they get their bureau fixed with the correct idents.

Worst case scenario is your brother(or you) have a dispute with a creditor and a collections tradeline gets reported to the credit bureaus. That tradeline can hurt you(if reported correctly) or you brother(if reported incorrectly) vis-versa - (well, actually the creditor thinks its reported correctly but your ident data is so fragmented to the point that it reports to the ident it matches.)
So it's best to have names like Jim Smith, or Jane Doe.