Personal Finance

Equifax and Transunion score off by 90 points?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2018 8:09 pm
[OP]
Apr 1, 2017
14 posts
1 upvote

Equifax and Transunion score off by 90 points?

I got these scores through Borrowell and CreditKarma

I understand there's going to be a difference in scores as each bureau has their own way of calculating things but they should still be within 20-30 points of each other no? My CreditKarma is showing 860 whereas Borrowell is showing 770. They both accurately reflect my credit cards and 1 car loan. No collections or late payments.

I applied for 2 credit cards last year and was approved for a 12k Tangerine Mastercard and 15k TD Aeroplan Infinite card. Is this a case of 1 bureau thinking I have too much available credit? The new cards in addition to existing cards leaves me around 90k available in credit cards. None have a balance and are paid in full each month.

Wondering if maybe I should request some limit decreases...?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2419 posts
1307 upvotes
Winnipeg
BaconBro wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 1:27 pm

I understand there's going to be a difference in scores as each bureau has their own way of calculating things but they should still be within 20-30 points of each other no? My CreditKarma is showing 860 whereas Borrowell is showing 770. They both accurately reflect my credit cards and 1 car loan. No collections or late payments.

I applied for 2 credit cards last year and was approved for a 12k Tangerine Mastercard and 15k TD Aeroplan Infinite card. Is this a case of 1 bureau thinking I have too much available credit? The new cards in addition to existing cards leaves me around 90k available in credit cards. None have a balance and are paid in full each month.

Both use different scoring models. The Credit Karma site changed the type of score they were using in the last couple of months and most people's scores went up 75-100, so I wouldn't be worried about it. Your scores are good on both of them
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Mar 4, 2016
351 posts
216 upvotes
Shawguy wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 4:17 pm
Both use different scoring models. The Credit Karma site changed the type of score they were using in the last couple of months and most people's scores went up 75-100, so I wouldn't be worried about it. Your scores are good on both of them
Just noticed that about my credit karma score the other day
Jul 9, 2016
671 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
BaconBro wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 1:27 pm

both bureaus use completely different criteria to calculate score, retain data both negative and positive for differing lengths of time, and certain inquiries will usually only be from one bureau or the other. all these, and many other factors could go into the point difference. there is no "they should be 20-30 apart".

and i wouldnt request any decreses if you are trying to INCREASE your score, decreasing your credit limits would just increase your utilization ratio, and have the opposite effect. AND your 'lowest' score is still considered excellent and youd have no problem getting further credit, so there is no need to raise it further or make them closer to the same.
Banned
Oct 10, 2016
758 posts
332 upvotes
Don't worry my TU has a 70 points difference RBC to TU monitoring that I pay monthly
Pulled the same day same balances.