Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21264 posts
2088 upvotes

Equipment Bag(s)

I was trying to pack my stuff and noticed I out grew my current bags. I currently use a Crumpler 6Mil plus a Lowepro shoulder bag to haul everything when necessary. However with my newest equipment, and soon lighting gear, I will be needing something new. I generally will have to pack 3 bodies, 4 lenses (2 big, 2 small), extension tubes, 2 speedlights, 2 light stands and umbrellas, and a mess of wires/batteries/chargers.

I am unsure what the best approach to packing is. It is currently modular (ie 1 bag for lenses, 1 bag for light+bodies. I would prefer to keep it modular, perhaps with a larger roller to toss everything into. What do you guys do?
4 replies
Nov 19, 2002
170 posts
2 upvotes
Edmonton
Get a pelican case and be done with it. I have one for my 35mm gear and one for my MF stuff.

They not only protect your gear from the elements, but they are basically indestructible.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1507 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Think Tank. I am an addict. It is a little expensive but I think it'd be hard to outgrow their system, and you get what you pay for.

You might be able to fit 3 bodies and your lenses, maybe also your flashes, in an Urban Disguise 60 if you wanted to go shoulder. Or you could go with the Speed Racer belt bag, and then add belt pouches - as modular as can be. Or you could go backpack - maybe Shapeshifter, hold all your gear in there, and use a speed belt and then add some belt pouches for what you really need quick access to. You could probably put the umbrellas and stands in one of their tripod bags. Or you could get one of their wheeled bags and know that everything except maybe the stands can fit with no problem.

It's all extremely well made and the number of pockets and features in their stuff is astounding.

For the record, I have the Shapeshifter backpack, Speed Demon and Speed Racer belt packs, Urban Disguise 30 and 60, the Humongous Bazooka, a Steroid Speed Belt, and a number of their pouches, so I put my money where my mouth is. Each one of the bags has a time that I like to use it, unlike most bags which I try and discard as soon as I find something I like better.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2008
1301 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
I started with a lowepro (small bag), then grew to a 7 MDH, then outgrew that last dec..

Bought an airport security and never looked back. I figure if I outgrow this one, I've got problems :lol:

This thing can basically stow my entire gear lineup minus the 400 (if I have all my crap in it, the 400 isn't going to fit in there lol)

I figure this is a better buy than my 7mdh, and I bought the 7mdh for a great deal.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Borbor wrote:
Nov 26th, 2009 10:01 am
Bought an airport security and never looked back. I figure if I outgrow this one, I've got problems :lol:
i want this bag... the security features are awesome not to mention more space then you'll need for normal gear

i want to use this in conjunction with the TT modular belt system and dual rstrap