Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4888 posts
307 upvotes

Error 99

So with only about 2000 shutter actuations my Canon XS has ERR99. I've looked it up and tried all solutions. Will need to send it in for repair =(.

I've tried everything.
-cleaned lens contacts (shooting with lens or no lense, same error)
-different memory cards (formating them too)
-full charged battery
-different settings
-etc...

Problem seems to be when it auto powers off or I turn it off and back on after a shot it gives me the error when I take a picture. I suspect it has something to do with the file count and it tries to write a file that already exists. I tried reseting it but for some reason the camera doesn't like to remember any new settings I give it either. After I power it off, I lose it. Off to the canon service centre it goes.

Seems like a common problem. =| Anyone else have the same problem?

My problem is like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcFhZawP ... re=related
9 replies
Apr 30, 2007
450 posts
44 upvotes
I think I had the same issue with my XSi. In my case, it was the pop up flash unit which was causing this issue. I took it to Canon repair and they fixed it....the camera was still under warranty
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2218 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
canon and their shotty QA...
err99 pretty much means "bring it in so we can charge you since err99 is the message that means it could be ANYTHING"

my 20D suffered from that on so many occassions!

are you using a battery grip by chance? thats when it happened to mine the most.
Oct 11, 2006
969 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
i had rebel xs, and had err99... brought back to canon for a fix, then it never happens again...
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2218 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
sounds like another manufacture defect they refuse to announce and just fix them as asked....

just like the 1dmk3 before everyone startin bringing the AF issue up and the 5Dmk1 mirror falling out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4888 posts
307 upvotes
Nope no battery grip. 100% canon equipment too (minus the memory card).

I've tried shooting with no lens too. same result.

Yesterday I tried reseting the file count, it wouldn't reset, it'd reset for a few photos then it'd try and resume in the 2000s again. Settings I set have trouble staying on the camera. I suspect it's something electrical or maybe the battery is defective.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4888 posts
307 upvotes
So I got my camera back from Canon. It doesn't show the error code now anymore. The lady at the counter told me that on the file it said something about them changing a circuit. So maybe some sort of circuit burnt out? I dunno. I sometimes forget to switch my camera "off" and it sits on autopower off mode for days or weeks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4888 posts
307 upvotes
No I haven't. But Canon Canada has repaired it and it works fine now