• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2019 8:42 am
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world

Error synching Windows clock

My PC at work doesn't sync time and date from one day to the next.
I have to manually update it.

OK, I'm positive the CMOS battery is dead, that's why it doesn't hold charge for the next day.

However, I have Windows to automatically sync the clock with time.windows.com or time.nist.gov.
I have also changed the time synchronization interval in the registry in order to update the clock every half hour.

Once I successfully sync the clock, the updates run fine (well, the computer is on, so Windows time gets updated normally).
The following day, I would assume Windows would sync the time every half-hour with an Internet clock server, but it doesn't.
I have to manually click on the update now button in order to sync the clock.... strange thing is that it doesn't sync at the first click, but after the second click I do on the button AND after I switch the clock server. It doesn't work if I pick the same server I had chosen... for example, if today I pick time.windows.com, I'd have to choose time.nist.gov in order to sync the clock, and viceversa.

The Windows Time Service is running automatically.

I tried running the Atomic Clock Sync program, and if it works synching now, it doesn't do it automatically next day.
So I tried running Dimension 4, with a bunch of clock servers, but all of them retrieved errors while trying to connect.

The only thing that works is me clicking on the update button to sync.

Don't know what to do to sync automatically.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2005
5203 posts
2486 upvotes
Vancity
Just replace the CMOS battery and see how it goes. Some dollar stores have them.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Serious question, has Windows Time sync worked ever?
I don't think I've ever seen it fire correctly since Windows 7 when it first debuted.

EDIT: Also I hate you OP you triggered my alert for "error" in the title.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world
death_hawk wrote: Serious question, has Windows Time sync worked ever?
I don't think I've ever seen it fire correctly since Windows 7 when it first debuted.

EDIT: Also I hate you OP you triggered my alert for "error" in the title.
LOL. My bad.
I hadn't have problems with time sync in Windows 10 until now.