Careers

Escape from Retail Management Rot (Laid off)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2018 8:19 am
[OP]
Sep 7, 2006
516 posts
146 upvotes

Escape from Retail Management Rot (Laid off)

Well, I've been in the game for about 7 years and this is the second time I've been laid off. Unfortunately my expected path leads into retail management once again for another company and need to live with the same predictable, volatile career path. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the pleasures of retail but the cons outweigh them. So I'm in a bit of a pickle atm because I either continue this again or I try to merge into something else. I'm 31 with a kid on the way and have a very dated advanced diploma in pharmaceutical laboratory technology (2008), with a certificate of achievement in advanced pharmaceutical instrumentation (2013?). I need some assistance when it comes to parting with retail life. Has anyone done it? Going back into the chemical world is pretty difficult to accomplish right now. What would be some recommendations?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2194 posts
218 upvotes
North York
One thing I could think off - I used to work in the Head Office of retailer, and many people doing various things (such as merchandising, retail strategy, brand coordinator, store training, endless myriad of positions) used to work in retail where your experience comes in handy. I think it may be an easier break to go through working in the retailer HO than going back to chemistry.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5305 posts
758 upvotes
Toronto
From what I understand today, the jump into HO from retail isn't the same like it once was. Kind of like a bank teller trying to break into a finance position out of the branch. Not saying it can't be done, but no longer a stepping stone.

I've known people getting out of that job because they were expecting kids and couldn't work retail hours anymore and went into sales roles with their vendors.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2194 posts
218 upvotes
North York
No Frills wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 9:45 pm
From what I understand today, the jump into HO from retail isn't the same like it once was. Kind of like a bank teller trying to break into a finance position out of the branch. Not saying it can't be done, but no longer a stepping stone.

I've known people getting out of that job because they were expecting kids and couldn't work retail hours anymore and went into sales roles with their vendors.
There is not much parallel between working cash teller/financial advisor and moving to corporate. Most positions in corporate banking requires hard finance / quantitative skills that just simply not possible with working in retail bank.

On the other hand, home office retail positions - some requires merchandising knowledge, store training, store operations, trouble shoot know-how of store systems, etc all are attainable during working at the store.

It may be hard to get into corporate retail office but probably a lot easier than teller trying to get a job at corporate banking.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2006
516 posts
146 upvotes
Ethan15 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 8:39 pm
One thing I could think off - I used to work in the Head Office of retailer, and many people doing various things (such as merchandising, retail strategy, brand coordinator, store training, endless myriad of positions) used to work in retail where your experience comes in handy. I think it may be an easier break to go through working in the retailer HO than going back to chemistry.
Head office was the bees knees when it came down to career progression but as NoFrills says it's not the case anymore.

I suppose I'm going to repeat the cycle once again. I've been getting in touch with some old HR colleagues to give me some guidance. I'll see what they say as well and react appropriately .

I also did consider second career but I don't know if it's the best time to do it. Don't know if I'll be financially stable if I do.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2194 posts
218 upvotes
North York
IceCreamGee wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 10:44 am
Head office was the bees knees when it came down to career progression but as NoFrills says it's not the case anymore.

I suppose I'm going to repeat the cycle once again. I've been getting in touch with some old HR colleagues to give me some guidance. I'll see what they say as well and react appropriately .

I also did consider second career but I don't know if it's the best time to do it. Don't know if I'll be financially stable if I do.
No Frills is part of Loblaw Companies Limited. My recommendation is just to pound the career site with your resume. Of course, you must tailor your resume to align with the skills required. Apply for a specific role where you can enhance your experience at the store to match with what they asked. Good luck!

Also - I would open the horizon a little a bit to apply to Sobeys, Empire (Metro), etc.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2006
516 posts
146 upvotes
I was quoting "No Frills" sorry for the confusion
Feb 13, 2017
132 posts
47 upvotes
toronto, ontario
No Frills wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 9:45 pm
OP is experienced and not entry level.

Perhaps a better analogy would be a bank MANAGER trying to break into a finance position out of the branch.

(Still very challenging though.)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2823 posts
641 upvotes
Edmonton
IceCreamGee wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 10:44 am

Some second career choices will pay better at start than your retail position....
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)