Ongoing Deal Discussion

Epson.ca

3LCD projectors 40%+ off clearance (refurb) sales.

Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1616 posts
853 upvotes
CLEARANCE HD PROJECTORS
REFURBS FROM EPSON.CA (720p and 1080p)
Epson provides full warranties on their factory refurbished items. And free shipping.

http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/Buy ... oid=-13364

*FALL 2016 UPDATE* Best 1080p deal is 2040 for $519

IMO, best performance for buck value is going to be the 730HD for $375. I don't think there is anything better at this price point.
If you want native 1080p and 3D features then they have the 2030 for $639. I ordered a 2030.

They all have different throw distances, offsets, zoom capabilities etc. Do your calculations to see what will work for your intended screen sizes and placements.
https://www.epson.com/alf_upload/landin ... alculator/
Last edited by Netcruzer on Jan 23rd, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Always in search of a great deal....
Thread Summary
aasoror added 2/18/20
- Epson Warranty Check: https://epson.ca/w/warranty
- Epson Authorized Dealers (purchases from unauthorized dealers will carry no warranty from Epson): https://epson.ca/authorized-home-entert ... -resellers
- PSA about Epson's manual payment verification: 3lcd-projectors-40-off-clearance-refurb ... #p32142475
- Credit Cards that passed Epson's payment verification: CIBC-Visa, TD-Visa, BMO-MC, CT-MC, PC-MC, RBC-MC, RBC-Visa, Captial One Aspire MC, Scotiabank MC.
- Credit Cards reported to not work: Capital One Costco MC, TD Visa, Visa Desjardins
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1616 posts
853 upvotes
Deal Link:
Retailer:
Epson.ca
More offers from Epson.ca
99SiR wrote: ....When does the sale end and is this available in stores there is a 10% off coupon for the 29th I got via email so that would bring this down to $675 which seems like a nice price .....
Staples sale is over now, EX9200 is back up to full price.

However, Epson.ca is doing their clearance sale now. I still think the 730HD refurb is a great price ($375) considering how bright and capable it is, even if 720p native. Next step up in clearance would be the 2030 for 1080p and 3D capabilities ($639).

They have a bunch of business multimedia projectors on clearance too, if you are in the market for something like that.
Last edited by aasoror on Aug 10th, 2016 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed price
2653 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
2409 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
What projector would you guy(s) recommend for gaming?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1956 posts
368 upvotes
Kitchener
Dred wrote: What projector would you guy(s) recommend for gaming?
Also interested in this. How are projectors for PC gaming specifically?
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1477 posts
1410 upvotes
Montreal
X-Nemesis wrote: Also interested in this. How are projectors for PC gaming specifically?
It's worth mentioning that unless you're a group of people or can't / don't want to sit in front of the screen, a screen a few feet in front of you will cover as much of your visual field as a projector, or more if you go with multiple monitors.
Aug 30, 2005
226 posts
93 upvotes
Nikhilvoid wrote: There's no problem with refurb projectors. They always come with new bulbs. I was looking at them, but I got an open box from BHPhoto instead. BHPhototo has good deals on open boxes often, if you have some USD balance.
+1.. I personally bought a refurbished Espon 720p projector from Epson's website a few years ago. Nothing wrong with it at all. Plus, I found Epson's customer service phenomenal. My bulb burst close to the 2 year mark, and I notified them and then shipped a brand new original one for free. Would get Epson again for sure, but now i'm selling mine.. lol.
Jul 27, 2008
486 posts
599 upvotes
That Epson 730HD refurb is really tempting. I have never owned a projector before, so I have no basis of comparison between 720 and 1080. Both my flatscreens are 720, and I am fine with PQ on those. I know it's personal opinion, but for anyone that has made the jump from 720 to 1080, is there a significant difference?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1956 posts
368 upvotes
Kitchener
davidm wrote: It's worth mentioning that unless you're a group of people or can't / don't want to sit in front of the screen, a screen a few feet in front of you will cover as much of your visual field as a projector, or more if you go with multiple monitors.
Isn't there an immersion factor that you cannot replicate with sitting closer or using multiple monitors that one big clear screen will give you? I mean, watching a movie on your 27" 4k monitor while visually great, isn't the same feeling as watching the same movie at the theatre.

Now VR in a few years is something I'm really looking forward to see in person. What will it be like to watch a film or play a beautiful looking game in VR.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
2409 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
sniper_ wrote: That Epson 730HD refurb is really tempting. I have never owned a projector before, so I have no basis of comparison between 720 and 1080. Both my flatscreens are 720, and I am fine with PQ on those. I know it's personal opinion, but for anyone that has made the jump from 720 to 1080, is there a significant difference?
Depends 720p as oppose 1080p on a 26" monitor won't be noticeable at all. However on a 80" monitor ,which they don't make in 720p. I can only assume you would, as there simply isn't as many Dots Per Inch. Now on an image that's streached 100"+ you certainly would notice a difference...
I would watch the video posted as the reviewer compares an older 720p projector to the new 1080p.. I can see a difference.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1477 posts
1410 upvotes
Montreal
X-Nemesis wrote: Isn't there an immersion factor that you cannot replicate with sitting closer or using multiple monitors that one big clear screen will give you? I mean, watching a movie on your 27" 4k monitor while visually great, isn't the same feeling as watching the same movie at the theatre.

Now VR in a few years is something I'm really looking forward to see in person. What will it be like to watch a film or play a beautiful looking game in VR.
I agree, but movie screens are huge, measured in dozens of feet, not inches.

For me, the noise of projectors really detracts from the immersion, along with requirements around the environment.

I completely agree about VR. It's something I've been fantasizing and trying to prepare for a long time. It's really frustrating to read on forums where comments are staunchly that a projector is "for" watching movies or "for" using with the computer. It really cut shorts quality discussions. Even though I don't play games, gaming projectors will probably be the best ones to focus on for mixed media/VR.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
1682 posts
881 upvotes
Montreal
Dred wrote: What projector would you guy(s) recommend for gaming?
X-Nemesis wrote: Also interested in this. How are projectors for PC gaming specifically?
I would go with Optoma (I personally have the HD20 from 2009) as they have very input lag. Input lag is the number one concern for a gamer using a projector. I can play games like street fighter with no problems. With that in mind, the Costco Optoma deal is best
http://www.costco.ca/Optoma%C2%AE-HD28D ... 34588.html

And here's a review with a decent focus on gaming
http://www.trustedreviews.com/optoma-hd28dse-review
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
2409 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
Bulletwithbatwings wrote: I would go with Optoma (I personally have the HD20 from 2009) as they have very input lag. Input lag is the number one concern for a gamer using a projector. I can play games like street fighter with no problems. With that in mind, the Costco Optoma deal is best
http://www.costco.ca/Optoma%C2%AE-HD28D ... 34588.html

And here's a review with a decent focus on gaming
http://www.trustedreviews.com/optoma-hd28dse-review
Ya that's what I was thinking, when I mentioned the hd28dse.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1616 posts
853 upvotes
I think the 730HD should be perfectly good for gaming and is likely the best value right now if you are willing to get a refurb.
I can't find any response time data for that model, but the 750HD is 40-50ms.
You get the advantage of much brighter colours and no rainbow effect by using a 3LCD projector.

Unless you are a competitive FPS gamer, I don't think you need to worry about input lag. Since this is a lower end entry level model, it doesn't have a bunch of fancy frame processing that slows the input>output down. I've been gaming on a projector from 2003 and never noticed any lag, and I don't notice any on the EX9200 either. I think this only becomes an issue at 100+ ms lag for cinema projectors that do a lot of image processing by default.

http://youtu.be/dvtnFoOqWRY
In my video between 4:20 and 4:50, I'm showing my old 1024x768 projector with a 1080p input signal vs the new 1920x1200 native projector with a 1080p input signal.

Besides the much improved brightness and color gamut of my new projector, there was a major reduction in screen door effect, with a x2+ increase in native pixel density. I was able to get the new projector even clearer and sharper after mounting and doing some setting tweaks (increase sharpness, increase noise reduction)

Keep in mind that a 720p native projo will display a 1080p input with scaling, and it might still look better than a 720p input image from a normal 10+ feet away viewing distance on a 90"+ screen.
On my XGA projector, I found that 1080p input signal looked a lot better than 720p input signal. That can depends on the projector scaling quality though so each brand/model might differ here.

Converting non-native signal formats to native resolution (info from projector central)

When a projector gets a signal that does not match its native resolution, it must convert that signal to the format of its native resolution in order to display it properly. This conversion process is commonly referred to as scaling.

So for example, let's assume you have a video projector with a native resolution of 1280x720 that is capable of displaying an HDTV 1080i signal. That means that the projector's physical pixel matrix is 1280 pixels wide by 720 pixels in height. However, each frame of video in an HDTV 1080i signal contains 1920x1080 pixels, which is a lot more than the projector has on its physical display. So in order to display the 1080i signal the projector must compress it into a 1280x720 format. It can do this because it has been programmed to do the compression from 1920x1080 to 1280x720. Furthermore, if 1920x1080 is the highest resolution that your projector has been programmed to recognize and compress into its native display, then 1920x1080 is known as the maximum resolution of that projector.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Netcruzer wrote: I think the 730HD should be perfectly good for gaming and is likely the best value right now if you are willing to get a refurb.
I can't find any response time data for that model, but the 750HD is 40-50ms.
You get the advantage of much brighter colours and no rainbow effect by using a 3LCD projector.

Unless you are a competitive FPS gamer, I don't think you need to worry about input lag. Since this is a lower end entry level model, it doesn't have a bunch of fancy frame processing that slows the input>output down. I've been gaming on a projector from 2003 and never noticed any lag, and I don't notice any on the EX9200 either. I think this only becomes an issue at 100+ ms lag for cinema projectors that do a lot of image processing by default.
Yeah, as long as it's somewhere near the 40-50 mark, I think it'll be fine. There are projectors with even lower input lag times (30 and below), but 40-50 should be ok for most people. My only concern is that the contrast for the 730HD isn't great. It's mentioned in this Wirecutter comparison, and I saw it mentioned in a couple other places as well.
Oct 24, 2005
974 posts
225 upvotes
Netcruzer wrote: Staples sale is over now, EX9200 is back up to full price.

However, Epson.ca is doing their clearance sale now. I still think the 730HD refurb is a great price ($375) considering how bright and capable it is, even if 720p native. Next step up in clearance would be the 2030 for 1080p and 3D capabilities ($639).

They have a bunch of business multimedia projectors on clearance too, if you are in the market for something like that.
Looking for a projector for presentations... which one which you recommend for that? Still the 730HD for $375?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1616 posts
853 upvotes
mattchoo wrote: Looking for a projector for presentations... which one which you recommend for that? Still the 730HD for $375?
http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/Buy ... oid=-13368

EX7235 PRO for $414 looks good to me for presentations because it has WiFi connectivity and a carry case. I'm pretty sure the guts are the same as the 730HD comparing specs, so they should perform comparable. The difference is the included accessories like the wifi USB dongle, and likely some colour modes for presentation/blackboard/ etc.

If you want ultraportable presentation projector, there is a 1761W for $500, but it's not quite as bright and will likely be a bit louder (fans) than the 7325.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5083 posts
2804 upvotes
Edmonton
sniper_ wrote: That Epson 730HD refurb is really tempting. I have never owned a projector before, so I have no basis of comparison between 720 and 1080. Both my flatscreens are 720, and I am fine with PQ on those. I know it's personal opinion, but for anyone that has made the jump from 720 to 1080, is there a significant difference?
I have both an Epson 1080p and and older Hitachi 720P projector, running on an 109" screen. I think the improved contrast/brightness of the Epson was probably a bigger improvement over the resolution. The hitachi is about 8 years old and we upgraded to an Epson 8345 probably 2 years ago already. If anything, we could probably use a screen upgrade as ours is fairly old as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2015
1525 posts
259 upvotes
Peterborough
What's the best paint to use on a wall to make a screen been calling around Peterborough and no one really has a clue should I just mat white??
Oct 24, 2005
974 posts
225 upvotes
Netcruzer wrote: http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/Buy ... oid=-13368

EX7235 PRO for $414 looks good to me for presentations because it has WiFi connectivity and a carry case. I'm pretty sure the guts are the same as the 730HD comparing specs, so they should perform comparable. The difference is the included accessories, wifi, and likely some special modes for presentation/blackboard/ etc.
Hmmm... The difference between $375 and $639 is $264. And now the difference between $414 and $639 is $225... at these differences, should I just go ahead and get the well-regarded Epson 2030? I would have liked to get the Epson 2040 at $699, but that deal is long gone.

(It's for presentations, but also for movies occasionally, etc.... just trying to decide whether to get a cheaper projector now for the main purpose of presentations, or futureproof and get a more expensive one and use it later for movies as well.)
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1616 posts
853 upvotes
ScottF391 wrote: What's the best paint to use on a wall to make a screen been calling around Peterborough and no one really has a clue should I just mat white??
I use a manual pull down screen, but Projector Central or AVSForum should help you with paint info.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_p ... n_$100.htm

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-s ... paint.html

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)