• Mar 20th, 2017 2:48 pm
[OP]
Feb 14, 2016
819 posts
239 upvotes

Essential baby goods? to buy ?

first soon to be dad here, bit nervous

there are so many stuff to get, and I'm kinda lost

Can you guys please give me some tips on buying items that helped during parenting?

which bassinet should i get? moving one or just stable one?

so lost!
26 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13413 posts
4068 upvotes
My best piece of advice is that you will need less than you think. Your child wants you - not stuff. I know of quite a few people that decked out their house with stuff and the baby outgrew it before it was ever used.

For toys, I would read through this site:
http://mamaot.com/15-toys-for-babys-first-year/
The person who runs it is an occupational therapist and provides an explanation for each of the toys, such as what skills it develops.

A bassinet, in my mind, is strictly for sleeping. Because of this we went with a fixed position one as we did not want our child to need a "crutch" to sleep. Instead we wanted him to learn to sleep on his own.

Stuff we found useful:
- swaddling blankets (the biggest you can find) which you use for everything. Whether it is for wrapping your child, putting it in the car, playing on, etc.
- microfibre clothes to wipe spitup, clean their face, etc. I found the cheap ones in the store "scratchy" so I would get microfibre
- if your child is going out in winter and is in an infant seat - an infant seat cover (http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp ... ore=TRUSCA)
- some sort of swing for the child to sit in. Whether it rocks itself or not, something for them to sleep in / hang out in that you are able to easily move around the house
- humidifier
- thermometer (either under arm or ear - don't bother with a tongue one)
- baby bath tub

I know I'm forgetting a lot but any particular questions just ask!
Oct 25, 2016
132 posts
56 upvotes
Congrats, I was the same way :D

Below is my list. Also, don't worry about toys--they don't really use them. Avoid over stimulating your baby with blinking lights and music stuff. Just play with them!

1. Crib with a proper mattress. Look at reviews and pick one. It will last through all your kids, don't be stingy. (dont forget a mattress cover)
  2. Swaddling blankets--these will save your life--trust me, I have 4 kids.
  3. carseat (gender neutral colour so it can be used with your future 2nd baby ;) You will want one with a base that sits in the car and a seat that you can clip in and out. When they are small it is very handy. Be sure not to use it as a long term bed though!)
  4. stroller (Something that folds down and is reasonable in size and cost. You don't need a crazy large stroller but make sure it has support, sun shade, and can let the baby lay down or sit up--gender neutral colours!)
  5. diapers (You won't need many in the smallest size as the baby grows out of them quickly.)
  6. wipes (Don't bother buying loose wipes that need a plastic container. Get the Costco wipes that are in bags with a built in lid. So much simpler and don't dry out)
  7. clothes (most gender neutral, so you can reuse them with future kids ;)
  8. bottles (keep them the same type so any lid fits--especially at 2am when you cant think)

Tips
  • Again, babies don't do much at first. Later in life they are fascinated more with a jar lid then with all the expensive toys you buy.
  • Spend time with your child and not on your phone. I see so many people with their children at parks paying more attention to their phone then to their child. Try to imagine hanging out with someone and all they did was look at their phone... you probably would not feel very important.
  • Avoid the urge to sit them in front of computers and tv so you can play on your phone :) You can always send them outside to play--it is better for their brains and lungs.
Member since Feb 19, 2008
Jan 9, 2011
905 posts
214 upvotes
Vancouver
Places to ask questions, or just search for questions that have already been asked, rfd's parenting is relatively dead compared to this:
www.reddit.com/r/babybumps
www.reddit.com/r/predaddit

Two websites with lists that I found helped structure things systematically:
http://www.babygearlab.com/
https://www.lucieslist.com/

There are so many choices because there are so many ways to do it and it depends on your circumstances.
For example, bassinet, pack n' play, or direct to crib? Depends on how big your place is and where you see yourself throughout the first year (just at your home, or at your or her parent's place)
Stroller? depends on you and what you expect to do. Drive and walk, walk directly out of your place, dealing with stairs a lot, trails/gravel roads.

It gets kinda nuts with all the choices out there.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2423 posts
315 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Ear plugs. Get some. Use them when you have a crying baby in your arms just to cut down on the decibels.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2016
819 posts
239 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 10:54 pm
My best piece of advice is that you will need less than you think. Your child wants you - not stuff. I know of quite a few people that decked out their house with stuff and the baby outgrew it before it was ever used.

For toys, I would read through this site:
http://mamaot.com/15-toys-for-babys-first-year/
The person who runs it is an occupational therapist and provides an explanation for each of the toys, such as what skills it develops.

A bassinet, in my mind, is strictly for sleeping. Because of this we went with a fixed position one as we did not want our child to need a "crutch" to sleep. Instead we wanted him to learn to sleep on his own.
Hey!, thanks for the awesome advice,
I am reading through the website you mentioned and its definitely helpful!
[OP]
Feb 14, 2016
819 posts
239 upvotes
ElliottGalt wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 11:36 pm

Below is my list. Also, don't worry about toys--they don't really use them. Avoid over stimulating your baby with blinking lights and music stuff. Just play with them!
hi, Thanks for the tips and explanation of each items,
I read some pregnancy magazines explaining each essential items, but I can't help to think magazines are more focused on advertising aspect rather than real life experiences
I will definitely take a note from your list! thanks!
[OP]
Feb 14, 2016
819 posts
239 upvotes
Sypsy wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 11:49 pm

Two websites with lists that I found helped structure things systematically:
http://www.babygearlab.com/
wow, I just checked out the babygearlab site, its exactly what I was looking for !!
I was lost on which stuff to get right after giving birth, after bringing baby home, for first few months, and then so on

luciestlist.com seems to be pretty good also,

Thanks!, bookmarked both
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7795 posts
864 upvotes
We skipped the Bassinet, everyone I talked to who have kids told me not to bother, the kids will generally outgrow the Bassinet in a few months and then it doesn't get used again and you basically flushed a hundred bucks down the toilet when they could've slept just as well in a crib the whole time.

The other two essentials I haven't seen listed here are butt cream (i.e. Sudocream) for any potential diaper-related rashes and something to help with the inevitable colic, like gripe water.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13413 posts
4068 upvotes
JIB9022 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 10:06 am
Hey!, thanks for the awesome advice,
I am reading through the website you mentioned and its definitely helpful!
I forgot one of the biggest ones - sleep sacks:

Way better than trying to swaddle them with a blanket.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
2957 posts
165 upvotes
See my signature for freebies for your baby, let me know if any of them are expired.

Good luck with your baby, depending on when they are born, you might be able to hold off on the stroller for a couple of months. My kids were born later in the year and we could've waited until boxing day for a sale but we only realized that later.

You can pick up some good stuff off of mommy groups in facebook, most stuff I have seen on there have been in pretty good condition for reasonable prices.

Just remember what one person deems essential, others might not. Anyhow, my list is:
-swaddle blankets, the ones with the velcro straps, this really helped us a lot
-towels with the flaps on the side, basically a regular towel but in the middle there is a hood, it's hard to explain
-small washable wipe clothes, you'll be wiping a lot
-baby wipes, for number 2s. We found the Costco ones to be there best, they don't rip easily and not scented
-A LOT of onesies
-diaper rash creams, we also used olive oil on them after a bath as suggested by a nurse during a course we attended
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Dec 9, 2012
67 posts
48 upvotes
ElliottGalt wrote:

1. Crib with a proper mattress. Look at reviews and pick one. It will last through all your kids, don't be stingy. (dont forget a mattress cover)
  3. carseat (gender neutral colour so it can be used with your future 2nd baby ;) You will want one with a base that sits in the car and a seat that you can clip in and out. When they are small it is very handy. Be sure not to use it as a long term bed though!)
  4. stroller (Something that folds down and is reasonable in size and cost. You don't need a crazy large stroller but make sure it has support, sun shade, and can let the baby lay down or sit up--gender neutral colours!)
  5. diapers (You won't need many in the smallest size as the baby grows out of them quickly.)
  6. wipes (Don't bother buying loose wipes that need a plastic container. Get the Costco wipes that are in bags with a built in lid. So much simpler and don't dry out)
  8. bottles (keep them the same type so any lid fits--especially at 2am when you cant think)
This looks like a good list. I will add into that.

- crib: the one I used before was one with adjustable height. You can set it higher with a new born so it is easier to put the baby down in the crib. When the baby is older and can stand on its own, you can set the the crib lower so the baby can still stand inside without falling over. This can be used as a playpen. Better yet, it is a crib with wheels. You can push the crib to a room for the baby to sleep or take it to the living room (measure it if it will fit through your door) so you can watch the baby when you are in the kitchen.

- Swaddling blankets: I didn't use many, only used when the baby was small. When the baby grows bigger and always moves legs, I didn't use them any more.

- carseat: you must have a carseat to get the baby out of the hospital

- stroller: with newborns, you need one for the baby to lie down because the baby can't sit yet. So if you get one for both sit up and lie down, it will last for 1-2 years.

- diaper / wipes / bottles - agree.
Bottles- if breast feeding maybe you don't need bottles at the beginning. If you need bottles, get bigger size bottles, as small ones won't be enough when the baby grows up.
Clothes - don't buy pants yet, as you are going to change diapers and you really don't want to take off pants every time

More...

Baby monitor - essential. You can leave the baby in another room and still hear the sound.

Waterproof baby changing liner - Below is a link looks like the one I used before. The liner I had was with one side fabric and the other side plastic. And it was washable. I had a few before. The size can fit in a stroller. It's very helpful to change baby on them at home or outside (in the car, in the stroller etc.) to prevent a mess.
http://intl.target.com/p/munchkin-3pk-w ... A-14323622
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10179 posts
1969 upvotes
Oakville
#1 for me is a changing table. It's just so handy when the little one is on it, as you can keep all the diapers, creams, clothes etc within reach

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Feb 16, 2017
3 posts
ElliottGalt wrote:

Tips
  • Again, babies don't do much at first. Later in life they are fascinated more with a jar lid then with all the expensive toys you buy.
  • Spend time with your child and not on your phone. I see so many people with their children at parks paying more attention to their phone then to their child. Try to imagine hanging out with someone and all they did was look at their phone... you probably would not feel very important.
  • Avoid the urge to sit them in front of computers and tv so you can play on your phone :) You can always send them outside to play--it is better for their brains and lungs.
+ Breast Pump
Clothes (few infant size and many 6M size)
Bath Tube
Diaper rush cream
D drop
Crib bedding - mattress, fitting sheet, small blanket...etc...
Thermometer
Bottle warmer
Nursing pillow
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1664 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
If you have the space for it, a rocking recliner is a wonderful thing to have. I spend a lot of time nursing and rocking my first child and now my 3 month in it. The bed just isn't as comfortable. Makes those late night wakeups much better.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel