• Mar 20th, 2017 2:48 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2603 posts
427 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
jandumm wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 1:25 pm
If you have the space for it, a rocking recliner is a wonderful thing to have. I spend a lot of time nursing and rocking my first child and now my 3 month in it. The bed just isn't as comfortable. Makes those late night wakeups much better.
As a father i also appreciated the swinging/rocking chair. Even if you get one that doesn't recline. Very comfortable.
Nov 13, 2013
721 posts
245 upvotes
OTTAWA
A double breastpump is a great investment. See if you can get a Medela on sale during the pregnancy. You might not "need" it as maybe you won't have problems breastfeeding or need to pump at work etc. but, even for general use it is so worth it to have a proper electric double pump instead of a hand-pump.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13196 posts
672 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 7:16 pm
#1 for me is a changing table. It's just so handy when the little one is on it, as you can keep all the diapers, creams, clothes etc within reach
Not really essential though. We didn't have a change table for any of our three kids. Just changed them on a changing mat on the bed. Diapers and wipes were in a small box beside the bed.
Nov 13, 2013
721 posts
245 upvotes
OTTAWA
If you want real RFD savings then cloth diapers are the way to go. The modern ones with removable covers are easy to use and will save you over $3000 per kid. More if you live in a condo and don't pay for hot water.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14114 posts
4577 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 7:54 am
If you want real RFD savings then cloth diapers are the way to go. The modern ones with removable covers are easy to use and will save you over $3000 per kid. More if you live in a condo and don't pay for hot water.
I'm not quite sure your math is right on the savings unless cloth diapers save in other places besides the cost of diapers...

If you pay $0.20 / diaper (a nice average price since you pay less per diaper for the smaller sizes but more for bigger) $3000 gives you 15,000 diapers. Average 7 diaper changes a day and you are at just over 2000 days, which is over 5 years of your child in diapers.

This is assuming $0.20 / diaper, which if you use the coupons / CO51 / etc. is on the high side. And this is not considering the price/hassle of washing the cloth diapers.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2603 posts
427 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
TrevorK wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 11:16 am
I'm not quite sure your math is right on the savings unless cloth diapers save in other places besides the cost of diapers...

If you pay $0.20 / diaper (a nice average price since you pay less per diaper for the smaller sizes but more for bigger) $3000 gives you 15,000 diapers. Average 7 diaper changes a day and you are at just over 2000 days, which is over 5 years of your child in diapers.

This is assuming $0.20 / diaper, which if you use the coupons / CO51 / etc. is on the high side. And this is not considering the price/hassle of washing the cloth diapers.
Your $0.20/diaper assumes someone is already buying cheaper or sale diapers. Pampers/huggies run $0.20 - $0.50 regular price as size goes up so the average for those will be higher. Yes with liberal sale/coupon/co51/etc you can get deals.

When it comes to cloth i think this analysis is pretty good.
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/cloth-di ... -analysis/

Essentially for a single kid buying brand new cloth diapers (incluing estimates for costs of washing) will come out about even with getting good sales on your disposeables.

BUT you can then sell your cloth diapers for about half of their original cost. Or re-use them for a 2nd kid at a fraction of the original cost. So there are significant savings to be had in that case.

Although i agree with the one comment i read (and experinced first hand by cloth diapering my kid). Cloth = "more hands on poop time".
Nov 13, 2013
721 posts
245 upvotes
OTTAWA
TrevorK wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 11:16 am

I budget about .30 per diaper and about 10 per day and based it on 3 years. You might be able to get this down if you buy in bulk but the first six months they change sizes fast so you might be left with a lot of left over diapers. When we use disposables we spend $20-$25 a week but I guess this is generally on vacation so we might use more than average and my wife also likes to buy organic or premium brands. I would be curious what someone who religiously keeps track of their expenses spends.

We spent $150 on diapers and they lasted 2 1/2 kids (had to buy a few new ones for number 3. We use disposables for first few weeks of each kid so didn't need multiple sizes. It costs me about $50 a year to wash the diapers. (This includes cloths/wipes as we use reusable wipes also.) This is soap and (off peak) electricity only. I hang to dry overnight and I am in a condo so don’t pay for hot water. If you pay for gas for hot water it might add another $5-10 a month. Dryer about the same. In terms of hassle; I throw dump the bin into the washer run the cycle twice and hang them. With disposables I need to leave my apartment and go to the garbage room almost every day. A diaper genie reduces the trips but adds to costs. In a house you have to keep the garbage for two weeks and take it outside everyday. I hate taking out the garbage but maybe that's just me.

Yeah you might get some pooh on your hands once in awhile and around 1 year you might want to use a throwaway when they start to really eat solid food. On the other hand training happens much earlier as they feel when they are wet.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14114 posts
4577 upvotes
Kevinck wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 12:04 pm
Your $0.20/diaper assumes someone is already buying cheaper or sale diapers. Pampers/huggies run $0.20 - $0.50 regular price as size goes up so the average for those will be higher. Yes with liberal sale/coupon/co51/etc you can get deals.
No, $0.20 is close to regular price.

For example, Costco is $44.99 for 210 size 3 Huggies (http://cocowest.ca/costco-west-sales-it ... katchewan/). Which works out to $0.214 / diaper. On sale, as you can see in the link above, it is $0.171 / diaper.

This is where I think $0.20 is fair. You use more diapers in the lower sizes, which are cheaper, and then even's out when you use the larger sizes which are more expensive but you go through many less. Even if you only buy some of them on sale, it seems $0.20 is actually a little high.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14114 posts
4577 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 2:38 pm
I budget about .30 per diaper and about 10 per day and based it on 3 years. You might be able to get this down if you buy in bulk but the first six months they change sizes fast so you might be left with a lot of left over diapers. When we use disposables we spend $20-$25 a week but I guess this is generally on vacation so we might use more than average and my wife also likes to buy organic or premium brands. I would be curious what someone who religiously keeps track of their expenses spends.

We spent $150 on diapers and they lasted 2 1/2 kids (had to buy a few new ones for number 3. We use disposables for first few weeks of each kid so didn't need multiple sizes. It costs me about $50 a year to wash the diapers. (This includes cloths/wipes as we use reusable wipes also.) This is soap and (off peak) electricity only. I hang to dry overnight and I am in a condo so don’t pay for hot water. If you pay for gas for hot water it might add another $5-10 a month. Dryer about the same. In terms of hassle; I throw dump the bin into the washer run the cycle twice and hang them. With disposables I need to leave my apartment and go to the garbage room almost every day. A diaper genie reduces the trips but adds to costs. In a house you have to keep the garbage for two weeks and take it outside everyday. I hate taking out the garbage but maybe that's just me.

Yeah you might get some pooh on your hands once in awhile and around 1 year you might want to use a throwaway when they start to really eat solid food. On the other hand training happens much earlier as they feel when they are wet.
Costco has Huggies at regular price between $0.19 (size 1) and $0.28 (size 5). I'm sure the organic brands are different, but I'm not sure what the "premium" brands are - I would have thought that was Huggies or Pampers. This seems well under the $0.30 assuming you pay regular price.

Personally I find 10 diapers per day as an average is way too high, but I know every child / parent is different. For us our average is much lower.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3014 posts
199 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:57 pm
Costco has Huggies at regular price between $0.19 (size 1) and $0.28 (size 5). I'm sure the organic brands are different, but I'm not sure what the "premium" brands are - I would have thought that was Huggies or Pampers. This seems well under the $0.30 assuming you pay regular price.

Personally I find 10 diapers per day as an average is way too high, but I know every child / parent is different. For us our average is much lower.
While there are a lot of new born things I miss, I certainly don't miss going through 20-30 diapers a day and having them pee right when I'm putting on a fresh diaper.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14114 posts
4577 upvotes
boonjaca wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:04 pm
While there are a lot of new born things I miss, I certainly don't miss going through 20-30 diapers a day and having them pee right when I'm putting on a fresh diaper.
Wow that's a lot of diapers. No where near what we went through with ours.

I know with our son we just put a small cloth over the area so if he pee'd it was straight into the cloth rather than on us. Now, when he goes #2 suddenly - there's no tricks I have for that.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3014 posts
199 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:46 pm
Wow that's a lot of diapers. No where near what we went through with ours.

I know with our son we just put a small cloth over the area so if he pee'd it was straight into the cloth rather than on us. Now, when he goes #2 suddenly - there's no tricks I have for that.
Mind you that was only for a month or a little over, then of course new challenges presented themselves. I remember we had to buy 3 of the newborn size diapers since he was just running through them.

Just we we thought we were safe and strapping on the last Velcro slip, he pees. I always joked that it was like clockwork for #2, he would only do it in a fresh diaper. Lol
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn