Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3043 posts
2561 upvotes
Vancouver

Esso Extra or PC Optimum at Esso?

I have just started using Esso Extra, so am not really familiar with the points yet and what they're worth. We can't earn both PC Optimum and Esso Extra points in the same transaction at Esso—we have to pick one or the other. Anyone crunched the numbers and figured out where the best value is?
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
28 replies
Jun 5, 2017
43 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver
Haven’t tried PCO.
I’m assuming 1% back(PCWE) + 30 points per liter(PCWE) + 10 points per liter(PCO).

Esso extra points are $1 for 3 points(supreme) and 160 per dollar for lottery tickets or 150ish for fuel saving cards. So about 2% cash back-ish. If you can fulfill esso extra offers, that can get you another ~0.25% value back in fuel savings. And it’s very convenient and cheap for car wash with esso extra points.

So if you use supreme or medium gas esso extra + a 4% g&g card + speedpass+ is the BiS solution.

Probably the same with PCO if you use regular gas.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3043 posts
2561 upvotes
Vancouver
Ican1v5 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 1:48 am
So if you use supreme or medium gas esso extra + a 4% g&g card + speedpass+ is the BiS solution.

Probably the same with PCO if you use regular gas.
Hmmm. No PCF credit card here. Buying regular gas with 4% Visa card, speedpass+ app with 2.5¢/L fuel discount card. Looks like PCO can't be used with speedpass+ app. So if the earnings are the same I'll just stick with the Esso Extra and Speedpass+ because it's so much more convenient.
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6210 posts
3811 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Hi @Kiraly
The General consensus so far is Esso Extra is more rewarding if you buy Mid Grade or Premium Gasoline

For Regular, there are soooo many variables that it’s tough to know what exactly is better, where & when

PCO Base Points are 10 Points per Litre

BUT you can significantly improve your earn, if you pay with a PC Financial MC... with the highest Earn Rate on the PC WE MasterCard

“The variables” that come into play though are Esso vs Mobil Stations

And if there are any offers that impact the Earn Rate by paying out bonuses... be they Personal Offers - Local, Regional or Provincial Offers - or promos that pay out Bonus Points on Mid or Premium Gasoline

Then you add in payment options...

Some are choosing to swipe their PCO Card at the pump for PCO Points, but pay with a CC that offers its own points program or Cash Back

Which brings up another option... swipe at the pump with Esso Extra, but pay with a PCO MC, and earn PCO Points too

There has been much discussion of late on the pros & cons over on the PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

pc-optimum-discussion-thread-formerly-pc-plus-2040084/

ADD - Ya I know it’s a royal pain to find what you are looking for regarding Esso or Mobil in that thread (all 639 pages of it)
For now just type either name into the SEARCH THIS TOPIC box
I agree Esso & Mobil probably merit their own topics
But it is where RFDs Mods keep moving such topics... their mindset being that all PCO topics be in one spot
(This one may end up there too for all we know)
Hopefully, going forward in 2019 this will be resolved... and things will be easier to find
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6210 posts
3811 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
RE - Esso Speedpass

Evidently, for now there is a workaround so you can use the Soeedpass. No need to swipe a PCO Card or fiddle with the PCO App. Just set up your PCO Account for phone number recognition

You’ll find more info here on the Esso Website in the PCO FAQs section
https://www.esso.ca/en/pc-optimum-faq
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
4273 posts
1888 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
PointsHubby wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 3:07 am
RE - Esso Speedpass

Evidently, for now there is a workaround so you can use the Soeedpass. No need to swipe a PCO Card or fiddle with the PCO App. Just set up your PCO Account for phone number recognition

You’ll find more info here on the Esso Website in the PCO FAQs section
https://www.esso.ca/en/pc-optimum-faq
Speedpass+ is the app, not on the terminal at the pump.
No way, for now, to collect PC Points with the Speedpass+ app.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3043 posts
2561 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for all the info PointsHubby. There are no Mobil stations near to me. I just buy regular gas at Esso. I'll keep doing that anyway because I get 2.5¢/L discount. I find the speedpass+ app convenient; I can unlock the pump, apply my discount, collect the EE points, and pay all with the app in a few taps, so if the points are a wash I'll just keep doing this.

I hope mods don't merge this thread to the PCO thread. I started a new thread because my question is Esso Extra specific and didn't want it mixed up with grocery and SDM discussion. If it has to be moved I'd rather them move it to an Esso Extra thread, but I couldn't find one.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6210 posts
3811 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
MoneyHypeMike wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 4:27 am
Speedpass+ is the app, not on the terminal at the pump.
No way, for now, to collect PC Points with the Speedpass+ app.
Sorry, not an Esso Customer

I understood Speedpass to be the Key Tag that you wave at the pump to pay.

That’s what my explanation referred to.

Punch in your phone number to get the PCO Points, wave the Speedpass Key Tag to pay with the CC you have on record with Esso

EDIT - looks like I was right Speedpass is the Key Tag
Speedpass+ is the App.
And you are correct ... none of the Apps (PCO or Esso) have been integrated yet to work with PCO at Esso or Mobil Stations
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11977 posts
1744 upvotes
City of Vancouver
At the pump, I swipe my Esso Extra card, then my PC Optimum card. U sure u can't earn pts on both?
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3043 posts
2561 upvotes
Vancouver
Becks wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 1:48 pm
At the pump, I swipe my Esso Extra card, then my PC Optimum card. U sure u can't earn pts on both?
"Will I be able to earn Esso Extra™ points and PC Optimum points in the same transaction?
No, customers will need to choose to earn either Esso Extra points or PC Optimum points in each eligible transaction.
" https://www.esso.ca/en/pc-optimum-faq

Too bad, because Petro Canada and Overwaitea Foods Group have a similar arrangement. But it's better in that you can link both your Petro Points and More Rewards cards and earn points in both programs when you fill up at Petro Canada. Maybe Esso and Loblaws will eventually offer this too.

Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1687 posts
262 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I dont have a physical PC optimum card, my wife carrys that in her wallet, I have the smaller keychain sized card and the PC optimum app on my phone and the PC optimum card on my StoCard Android App. How in the heck can I enter my PC optimum number in the gas pump with my android app or the mini keychain card? it seems impossible? because of this i cant collect PC optimum points when I PAY at the Pump, its gonna force me to go into the gas station and pay at the teller instead which i do not want to do
Hi
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
4273 posts
1888 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
GoodFellaz wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 3:15 pm
I dont have a physical PC optimum card, my wife carrys that in her wallet, I have the smaller keychain sized card and the PC optimum app on my phone and the PC optimum card on my StoCard Android App. How in the heck can I enter my PC optimum number in the gas pump with my android app or the mini keychain card? it seems impossible? because of this i cant collect PC optimum points when I PAY at the Pump, its gonna force me to go into the gas station and pay at the teller instead which i do not want to do
See post #5
Dec 18, 2017
171 posts
65 upvotes
The other factor here is do you actually use a PCO account for other collecting? If so, it might be better for you in the not so long term to earn worthwhile points to redeem with PCO, rather than only earning Esso points when you get gas and it taking however long to actually get enough points for something. Even if the actual return isn't as great on PCO.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6210 posts
3811 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
djeffery wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 5:36 pm
The other factor here is do you actually use a PCO account for other collecting? If so, it might be better for you in the not so long term to earn worthwhile points to redeem with PCO, rather than only earning Esso points when you get gas and it taking however long to actually get enough points for something. Even if the actual return isn't as great on PCO.
Ya, it takes a long time in my experience to earn Gas Points ... especially @ Esso.

Which is why we left Esso to begin with... Petro Canada partnered up with other Retailers where one can earn link programs and earn in both with every purchase at either one like @Kiraly mentioned in the second para of Reply # 10

For us, that’s Petro Canada Points + CAA Rewards Dollars + HBC Rewards Points
And at the end of the equation / year
The Petro Canada Points can be turned into CAA Dollars, which in turn go towards paying our annual CAA membership

Would be awesome if Esso established a linked Rewards Program with PCO (a double dip earn)

Other RFDers have said though, until things improve at the Esso Stations with PCO Points (low returns & currently Earn only) many are staying with Esso Extra Rewards, and using any points therein to buy gas, or car washes
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3043 posts
2561 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 6:13 pm
For us, that’s Petro Canada Points + CAA Rewards Dollars + HBC Rewards Points
Just those? You haven't signed up for More Rewards yet? I expected better from @PointsHubby!