• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2018 8:04 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
7985 posts
798 upvotes
Richmond Hill
will the pump be able to scan phone for PC Optimum number?
Oct 12, 2016
222 posts
35 upvotes
Its so surprising that Aeroplan is losing partners so quickly while a rubbish loyalty program like AirMiles is still getting by OK with theirs.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17685 posts
2377 upvotes
GTA West
Limited7 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:15 pm
Its so surprising that Aeroplan is losing partners so quickly while a rubbish loyalty program like AirMiles is still getting by OK with theirs.
Air Miles will always live on here in Ontario, because they are a parasitic infection on the public owned LCBO corporation.

I don't know why such publicly owned companies are even allowed to have these partnerships with private loyalty companies.

At LCBO, I deliberately steer clear of any product that has an Air Miles promotion.
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Mar 13th, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30579 posts
5496 upvotes
Ottawa
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:33 pm
Air Miles will always live on here in Ontario, because they are a parasitic infection on the public owned LCBO corporation.

I don't know why such publicly owned companies are even allowed to have these partnerships with private loyalty companies.

At LCBO,I deliberately steer clear of any product that has an Air Miles promotion.
But, all purchases at LCBO has AirMiles..... whether there is a special promotion or not.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17685 posts
2377 upvotes
GTA West
Pete_Coach wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:39 pm
But, all purchases at LCBO has AirMiles..... whether there is a special promotion or not.
True. I don't even carry my AirMiles card anymore.
But I also don't want to reward manufacturers who are trying to benefit from the additional visibility of AirMiles promo offers.

So if my beer of choice has promo Miles this week, I buy a different beer.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30579 posts
5496 upvotes
Ottawa
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:43 pm
But I also don't want to reward manufacturers who are trying to benefit from the additional visibility of AirMiles promo offers.

For full disclosure, I cashed in my AirMiles after their screwup, took a long time to get the "rewards" and have not used it since.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Nov 3, 2009
475 posts
144 upvotes
wlee wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:28 am
will the pump be able to scan phone for PC Optimum number?
That would be hard to believe... but they could activate the NFC on phones that support it and let you tap against the Speedpass pad...
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14615 posts
1629 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:43 pm

***Clapping***
I hate AirMiles too and I'm not going back :D
That's next-level devotion, I like it!
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14615 posts
1629 upvotes
Toronto
zalapski wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:03 am
Any idea where the next place to keep the account open "for a few dollars?" Esso was the easiest. TIA.
We are going to have to study the list to see who has a small purchase amount and available stores. Right off the bat, I saw Home Hardware, they are still around ... here and there lol
Personally I've circled May 31st on my calendar and I'll be making a $3 purchase at Esso the week of that date, to make sure I get a year from May 2018.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4511 posts
1005 upvotes
Alberta
Pete_Coach wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:46 pm
For full disclosure, I cashed in my AirMiles after their screwup, took a long time to get the "rewards" and have not used it since.
Goes for me too., we had over 62,000 AM at the time. I'm done with them also.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17685 posts
2377 upvotes
GTA West
DaVibe wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:09 pm
***Clapping***
I hate AirMiles too and I'm not going back :D
That's next-level devotion, I like it!
Yes... I realise that the efforts of 1 guy make negligible difference. But if a lot of people do not purchase items with Air Miles promotions, hopefully Air Miles partners will see Air Miles as a stamp of death, and distance themselves from the program in general.

This is why I hate Air Miles at the LCBO. There's no way to avoid the price premium necessary for them to offer this reward, even if you don't collect it.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3811 posts
5162 upvotes
Ontario
In case you missed it, you now have to spend $30 at LCBO before earning 1 base Air Mile. It was $20 minimum spend to get the 1 AM last summer.

Given that Fortinos (part of the Loblaws chain) offered incentives to save on gas at Esso if customers spent a minimum amount at Fortinos, I'm not surprised that Esso has a deal with PC Optimum. However, one of the weeks that my local Fortinos had the Esso promotion last year, the gas station (across the street from the store))just happened to be out of gas service for over a week for some sudden repair.
Summer 2018-retro candy and treats time
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2382 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
Ciel wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 2:53 pm
In case you missed it, you now have to spend $30 at LCBO before earning 1 base Air Mile. It was $20 minimum spend to get the 1 AM last summer.

Given that Fortinos (part of the Loblaws chain) offered incentives to save on gas at Esso if customers spent a minimum amount at Fortinos, I'm not surprised that Esso has a deal with PC Optimum. However, one of the weeks that my local Fortinos had the Esso promotion last year, the gas station (across the street from the store))just happened to be out of gas service for over a week for some sudden repair.
ditto with loblaws. They also has esso promos.
Jan 4, 2009
201 posts
60 upvotes
Calgary
Swerny wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:14 am
pretty sure the RCSS/Loblaws/No Frills gas stations are being phased out. The 2 near me (Toronto) are now Mobil...and they already give PC points
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/loblaw- ... -1.4075290

Which is funny, because Mobil stations are selling Exxon gas, which is basically Esso gas. If you fill premium, Mobil is selling Esso premium for cheaper than Esso. Or you're getting better return on regular vs Esso regular if the prices are the same.
Feb 11, 2015
44 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Use the carrot app to earn pointlessly small amounts of aeroplan points to keep the account alive. Either do their quick "live healthy" surveys, or get 2 points a day for steps.