• Aug 19th, 2019 2:26 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 18, 2017
227 posts
131 upvotes

Estate lawyers

Anyone have any recommendation for estate lawyers around the GTA, preferably North York? Looking to transfer some real estate property under my deceased parents name to me and my brother.

What should I be looking for with estate lawyers? Personally I’ve never dealt with any lawyers about anything so I am not sure what to expect.

Our notary in Montreal told us that to deal with the properties in Toronto, we would need to deal with a lawyer down here.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4360 posts
1315 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
There are some notaries/lawyers with offices in both provinces else would suggest contacting On lawyer and see if can do transfer with you being in another province.

Hopefully folks will chime in with names.
Apr 3, 2008
10 posts
mid-town Toronto
I had a good experience with this lawyer just a few months ago. Look him up online, he apparently has worked on thousands of deals. And he is in North York.
His staff deftly cleared-up two title issues that came to light during the closing.

Jay Teichman
Barrister & Solicitor
5255 Yonge St., Suite 800,
Toronto, Ontario, M2N 6P4
Telephone: (416) 512-1072
Direct Line: (416) 229-5461
Facsimile: (416) 512-9992
E-Mail: jay@jayteichman.com
[OP]
Apr 18, 2017
227 posts
131 upvotes
I saw a lawyer yesterday and was hesitant to take our case because she didn’t want to do things the wrong way since she is not too familiar with the laws of Quebec. And she got tremendous ratings too.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1474 posts
745 upvotes
TORONTO
My condolences.

I don't quite understand your problem:

- Your parent passed away.
- Since you mentioned a notary in Quebec I assume the parent lived in Quebec but owned some real estate in Ontario.
- Since you mentioned a notary in Quebec I assume the parent prepared a valid will using that notary.
- Someone is the executor of the estate (in Quebec they are called the liquidator https://www.educaloi.qc.ca/en/capsules/ ... -executors ).
- The real estate in Ontario was left to you and your brother.
- The liquidator has to transfer the real estate to you and your brother.

Unless I misunderstand something, this is an ordinary real estate transaction, any Ontario lawyer could handle this for you. If you are familiar with real estate transactions (it sounds like you aren't), you probably don't need a lawyer at all.
[OP]
Apr 18, 2017
227 posts
131 upvotes
M8Rxmjsik wrote: My condolences.

I don't quite understand your problem:

- Your parent passed away.
- Since you mentioned a notary in Quebec I assume the parent lived in Quebec but owned some real estate in Ontario.
- Since you mentioned a notary in Quebec I assume the parent prepared a valid will using that notary.
- Someone is the executor of the estate (in Quebec they are called the liquidator https://www.educaloi.qc.ca/en/capsules/ ... -executors ).
- The real estate in Ontario was left to you and your brother.
- The liquidator has to transfer the real estate to you and your brother.

Unless I misunderstand something, this is an ordinary real estate transaction, any Ontario lawyer could handle this for you. If you are familiar with real estate transactions (it sounds like you aren't), you probably don't need a lawyer at all.
You are correct in what you said. Parents lived in Quebec and had properties in Ontario. I was saying the will states that everything they owned goes to me and my brother 50/50. But the houses in Ontario are under my parents name. So we will have to do probate for one of my parents.

Basically the gist. My dad passed away march, the houses would go to my mom automatically as it was jtwros. Then when my mom passed away in May, since me and my brother arent already on the title, we would have to go through probate no? My brother is the executor/liquidator of the estate. He lives in quebec while I live in ontario.

Do we not need a lawyer to transfer the titles and do the probate of my mom?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1474 posts
745 upvotes
TORONTO
It's not uncommon that a person lives in one province and has assets in a different province. Ontario recognizes wills from other provinces (and foreign countries).

There is paperwork to file for the will to be recognized here: https://hullandhull.com/2010/04/probate ... n-ontario/ (you can use a lawyer or do it yourself).

Once the will is recognized in Ontario, transferring the real estate to you & your brother is straightforward (you can use a lawyer or do it yourself).

As liquidator, your brother has other responsibilities, such as filing taxes & paying any debts the deceased had. Most people aren't familiar with the process (and dealing with the death is traumatic), so many people will get professional advice from a lawyer or accountant).

Good luck.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)