• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2010 7:18 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 1, 2009
103 posts

estimate my commute time from TO to Brampton

I am thinking about taking a job in Brampton. I live in midtown Toronto (yonge and davisville). I can get to work by the GO, but the whole trip would take 1.5 to 2 hours each way. I am wondering how long it would take to get there if I had a car.

google says it would take 31 mins, but I heard the 401 is commuter hell so I can't rely on that figure.

google maps:
http://tinyurl.com/ylq4slu

any estimates? let's assume my work hours are 8-4

T.I.A.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
Would you consider moving to Brampton? Assuming you rent, the rent cost would be much cheaper out in Brampton than in Toronto, you'll save more and in the long run it could work better for you.

Google Map time estimation work based on the average speed (consider it work based on the posted speed limit), hence it wont be accurate as you'll be driving on rush hours. Although it's not as bad because you'll be driving outwards of Toronto rather than going in. However, the drive back in the afternoon could be bad because there will be rush hour traffic (I've driven westbound from Toronto around 4-4.30pm several times and I've seen the eastbound traffic is pretty bad)
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2144 posts
189 upvotes
Where in Brampton specifically?

Remember that from GO Transit, most likely you need to transfer to Brampton Transit. I took a trip once from YorkU to West Brampton and it took me around an hour.

You shouldn't be concerned about traffic as there is much less traffic if you go from Toronto to Brampton (as opposed to the other way).

The best way to figure this out is by doing an actual test run for that day :D (Buy a day pass!)
Would you consider moving to Brampton? Assuming you rent, the rent cost would be much cheaper out in Brampton than in Toronto, you'll save more and in the long run it could work better for you.
Yes, but most residential rent in Brampton is basement ... so should take that into consideration. There are also some apartments there if you don't mind living in one.
Correct me if I'm wrong with this label I affixed to Brampton area :D
[OP]
Jan 1, 2009
103 posts
I am not considering moving to Brampton. It is too far from my girlfriend (who lives in my neighbourhood right now) and I don't like the atmosphere there (industrial)
Ethan15 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2010 10:36 am
Where in Brampton specifically?

The best way to figure this out is by doing an actual test run for that day :D (Buy a day pass!)
The workplace is near the 410 and Queen St.

I already know how long it takes on the GO, I want to know how long it takes to drive if I bought a car.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2009
1297 posts
2 upvotes
Waterloo
That commute time during rush hour would be really bad (well over an hour). Just move closer if you get the job.
Nov 11, 2008
29 posts
TORONTO
410 will be slow in the morning when u get to work and both 401 E & 410 get really bad in the afternoon on ur way back home.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
tehsquipmunk wrote:
Mar 7th, 2010 10:58 am
if I bought a car.
So you dont have a car yet?

I am sensing taking this job to Brampton would be a bad financial decision considering the extra expenses of commuting (gas, time) as well as buying a car (purchase cost, maintenance, insurance). Unless this job in brampton is paying something significantly higher to cover all those extra costs.

If this new job in Brampton is something that would be very good in your career in the future:
- suck it up and move to Brampton. You can hang out with your gf on weekends and some weeknights. (better financially)
- take in a lot more expenses and hoping that it pay off in the future (no real guarantee)

Need to consider whether cost v benefit is worth it:
cost of the new job (either financially or not being close to your gf everyday)
vs
benefit (good for career? significantly higher income?)
[OP]
Jan 1, 2009
103 posts
Yes I don't have a car. The job is perfect for me and will represent a big pay raise and a career boost.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3148 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
I commute a similar distance into Peel Region from pretty much the same neighbourhood as you. I am lucky in that work isn't too far from a GO station. In your case, you'll probably want to look into carpools as well.

You might want to look into any express buses that might run into Brampton as well (not necessarily GO Transit, but Mississauga Transit or Brampton buses).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7794 posts
3665 upvotes
tehsquipmunk wrote:
Mar 7th, 2010 11:41 am
Yes I don't have a car. The job is perfect for me and will represent a big pay raise and a career boost.
410/401 during traffic hour is insane! I would personally not be doing this commute with the car unless you really have no other options.
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2005
2645 posts
44 upvotes
Bay Area
tehsquipmunk wrote:
So take the job, move to brampton and make it work.

Brampton <--> Toronto is nowhere close to being a long distance relationship (especially if you drive)
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
tehsquipmunk wrote:
career boost is very important,
but at the end $$ is what feed you, ... how does that raise compare to commuter cost (car purchase, maintenance, gas, insurance)

If I were you (and seems like quite a few others here agree): move to Brampton. You get career boost, you get to save more ... and Brampton to Toronto is not far at all for a relationship. (Tell her she'll get nicer presents if you move to Brampton because you save more :D )
May 20, 2005
288 posts
8 upvotes
I would disagree about moving to Brampton right away since I would miss my neighbourhood. Driving is the only option if you're working in Brampton IMO. I would get a used car and try the commute for a few months. If you can survive 3 months on the 401 you're braver than 90% of the posters here. If you can't, suck it up and move.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
lofidelity wrote:
Mar 7th, 2010 5:51 pm
If you can survive 3 months on the 401 you're braver than 90% of the posters here. If you can't, suck it up and move.
Note that it's not just about the time you spent in traffic - one of the issue is OP havent got a car yet, so there will be extra costs to him for commuting associated with car ownership (which are not necessarily cheap)

I actually commuted Waterloo <-> Toronto for a bit, then I tried greyhound for sometime before I finally moved to Toronto.
May 20, 2005
288 posts
8 upvotes
damnos wrote:
Mar 7th, 2010 6:35 pm
Note that it's not just about the time you spent in traffic - one of the issue is OP havent got a car yet, so there will be extra costs to him for commuting associated with car ownership (which are not necessarily cheap)

I actually commuted Waterloo <-> Toronto for a bit, then I tried greyhound for sometime before I finally moved to Toronto.
Yes, but my point is that Brampton public transit sucks. Even if he moves there, he would still want to get a car to go back to Toronto and drive from his place to work. So I am suggesting he get the car first to see if he can live with the commute. Even if he ends up moving there, he could still use the car.
× < >