• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2009 9:17 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 13, 2009
3 posts
brampton

Etest, and car certification

i am buying a acura integra and it is not certified or etested and i wanted to know how much it would cost. can anyone help me?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
3772 posts
219 upvotes
etest is $35 anywhere (government set that price)

safety test it varies by where you do it. Could be from $60 - $120
Oct 13, 2009
48 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
g_star15 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 11:02 pm
i am buying a acura integra and it is not certified or etested and i wanted to know how much it would cost. can anyone help me?
It cost me $36.75 last September.

Story of my Ontario e-test (similar to Ont. Auditor General's finding in 2004)

If you are to do e-test, do it @ a place that does ONLY e-test, & have no other vested interest in the outcome. One such facility is on the East side of Warden Ave just South of 401 in Scarborough.

I was taken in for a ride by a garage in Scarborough. They failed my car, & I felt that the garage intentionally failed me to offer repair service(offered $75 diagnostic service!!). I am very well aware of warming the engine just before test etc. Also, I had tune-up etc done only a week earler to the test.

The same day I took the car to Warden e-test facility & my car passed the test.

I complained to the MTO & got my 1st money back from the garage. However, MTO complain was handled by a company, which designed the e-test for Ontario, & they have vested interest in preserving their name. I heard one lame reason/excuse over another, but persisted until I got my money back.
Oct 13, 2009
48 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
g_star15 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 11:02 pm

Do NOT buy a car without emission test report presented to you. It is very critical than certification. The owner has to do both. If he/she is hesitant, please save yourself from trouble. Move on.

Regardless of where you are buying from (whether from a dealer, curbside dealer, or private), do NOT buy without them. Further, get your mechanic to check out the car. I choose one of the CAA approved test facility(called "priority plus inspection centres inc.") in Vaughan to be checked out. They do only test. Nothing else.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
azncapcom wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 11:28 pm
etest is $35 anywhere (government set that price)

safety test it varies by where you do it. Could be from $60 - $120
Plus any needed repairs in order to pass both emissions test, and safety certification.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2008
1061 posts

What year is the car?

What distance has it traveled? (kms)?

What condition?

An e-test is 35 if it passes, a safety is about 100 if it passes. Conclude that if it would pass the seller would have at least an e-test (they are good for a year) a safety is valid for 36 days only.

If you would be selling your vehicle its advisable to have both a safety and an e-test to get better money, and make it easier for the buyer.
Nov 23, 2007
334 posts
25 upvotes
Well actually the etest price has to be 11 and change the rest of the money is profit. The maximum charge is 35$ + gst or pst (cant remember which one but they only charge one tax). 99.9% of places charge the 35. Secondly, its 35$ wether it passes or not. A retest is 17.50 as long as its at the same facility that did the first test. You can only have 2 retests then it goes back. (ie: 35 (initial) - 17.50 - 17.50 - 35 - 35 - 35 ...). So if your vehicle fails more than the 3 times take it somewhere else.

Also its illegal for the etest facility to upsell you anything. If you drive FWD vehicle and all your tires are bald they dont have to test your vehicle (its "unsafe") and they are only allowed to sell you the front 2 that are needed for the etest. They can recommend replacing all four but if its just for the etest then you only need the 2. Exhaust leaks need to be fixed prior to test (most places dont care about any of these rules unless vehicle is a sh*tbox).

Also if it fails most places will ask you if you want it diagnosed - and whatever the cost is you can take out of the 450$ repair limit (therefore if you get it diagnosed for 100$ they say you need a cat which is lets say 300 + labour is 100 then you can just get a conditional pass because 300 + 100 + 100 is 500. Over the limit. This will not work if you are looking to sell the vehicle.

Most of the other information is right regarding the safety and etest. 36 days - safety ; etest - valid for one year for sale.

Anyways, take it to the dealer for etest. For safety, go to whoever will do it cheap and good. I would still take it to the dealer. Safetys arent that much more and they know the typical problems with the cars and what to check for as well as look over the entire vehicle. Always get your own mechanic to look over the vehicle.
× < >