• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2018 5:12 pm
Tags:
Sr. Member
Feb 17, 2012
629 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
RedToronto wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 1:07 pm
Good to hear, because I'm planning on trading for some Ripple through them


Actually after looking into it further, they didn't upgrade anything yet. What they did was just resync their data because there was corrupted data affecting 1.7% of users and growing. While down they experienced ddos attacks but they were all failed attempts. I believe they are still upgrading their servers soon but I'm not sure there will be any downtime for that. Sorry for the misinformation earlier!!
Member
User avatar
Apr 12, 2017
216 posts
92 upvotes
Frank2029 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 6:58 pm
Actually after looking into it further, they didn't upgrade anything yet. What they did was just resync their data because there was corrupted data affecting 1.7% of users and growing. While down they experienced ddos attacks but they were all failed attempts. I believe they are still upgrading their servers soon but I'm not sure there will be any downtime for that. Sorry for the misinformation earlier!!
No worries, and thanks for the update. I decided to look into it further, and after reading a bunch of what the CEO of Binance had to say on his Twitter and Linkedin account, I felt comfortable enough to create an account and do some trades. I'm only doing small transactions right now, but I've exchanged Zcash for Bitcoin, then used the Bitcoin to buy some Ripple and Binance coin from them since we last spoke. All seems okay at the moment.
Sr. Member
Feb 17, 2012
629 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
They seem like a good exchange. Mind you they are making $3,000,000 USD/ day
Member
User avatar
Apr 12, 2017
216 posts
92 upvotes
Frank2029 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 11:31 pm
They seem like a good exchange. Mind you they are making $3,000,000 USD/ day
Yeah, definitely worth investing in their coin for the long run.
Sr. Member
Feb 17, 2012
629 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
RedToronto wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 12:43 am
Yeah, definitely worth investing in their coin for the long run.
I thought the same thing. I'm going to convert all my btc once collected to bnb
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 15, 2011
1826 posts
767 upvotes
Saint John
Someone mentioned an Ether pool a few threads back that has better payout thresholds than Nanopool (0.05). Considering how long it takes these days to mine 0.05, I think I'm about ready for a change.
FEEDBACK: RFD HWC Heat
Member
User avatar
Apr 12, 2017
216 posts
92 upvotes
birthdaymonkey wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 10:44 am
Someone mentioned an Ether pool a few threads back that has better payout thresholds than Nanopool (0.05). Considering how long it takes these days to mine 0.05, I think I'm about ready for a change.
MiningPoolHub's minimum for Ethereum is 0.01 ETH for payouts (with a 0.001ETH TX fee), and you can obviously increase the minimum, but I'm not sure if it is better mining ETH directly, or using their auto exchange feature to mine other coins and trade automatically for ETH.

The minimum is low enough that if you don't like MPH, you can decide to leave them sooner than other pools. And if it is still taking long to get to 0.01 ETH, you can auto convert the ETH you've collected on MPH for another coin that you fancy with a lower minimum, so your payouts are never stuck. It was taking me too long to get monero because the difficulty suddenly spiked, so I swapped the Monero for Verge on MPH, and now I can pull out whenever I want. I'd say give them a try, and if you need any help, just let me know, and I'll work with you on the details.

I had set up Awesome miner to auto switch between Nicehash's pool (profit switching), Nanopool (ZEC only), and MiningpoolHub (profit switching), depending on which it thought was profitable at the time, and when it mined with MiningPoolHub, I would convert the coins automatically to Verge coin.

At the moment I've set it to only mine with MiningPoolHub (with profit switching), and converting into Zclassic because I'm getting ready for the Bitcoin Private fork at the end of this month.
Member
User avatar
Apr 12, 2017
216 posts
92 upvotes
Frank2029 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 9:40 am
I thought the same thing. I'm going to convert all my btc once collected to bnb
That's a good idea. Only reason I haven't done the same yet is because I'm betting on the Bitcoin Private fork, so I may need to convert my BTC to Zclassic for a higher return of BTCP.

I'm aware that if I have 0.01 BTC, I'll get 0.01 BTCP, but if I trade 0.01 BTC for 0.86 ZCL, then I'll get back 0.86 BTCP, because they are crediting BTC and ZCL holders.

I may use my Zcash to swap for more BNB before this fork, but only if Binance agrees to support the fork (which will definitely generate more traffic). The folks at Bitcoin Private have put in an application with Binance (according to their latest Twitter post), but that doesn't mean much, because Binance has yet to support Zclassic. But they have been good with Forks in the past.
Member
User avatar
Apr 12, 2017
216 posts
92 upvotes
Also, there may be cause to leave MyEtherWallet, because, according to the co-founder that left and created MyCrypto, the other co-founder that stayed with MEW isn't as active at supporting the platform, and it would be left open to security vulnerabilities. I've been a big fan of MEW up until this point, and I'm not advocating MyCrypto (because I think the Twitter account scandal was childish and unprofessional of MyCrypto), but I think the FUD they are spreading (and ironically that I'm spreading by posting this) is toxic and it's worth being leery of both companies. I'm not saying we should all engage in a mass exodus (pun intended), but just wanted to inform you guys to keep an eye on the situation, in case you weren't already aware.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 15, 2011
1826 posts
767 upvotes
Saint John
RedToronto wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 12:24 pm
MiningPoolHub's minimum for Ethereum is 0.01 ETH for payouts (with a 0.001ETH TX fee), and you can obviously increase the minimum, but I'm not sure if it is better mining ETH directly, or using their auto exchange feature to mine other coins and trade automatically for ETH.

The minimum is low enough that if you don't like MPH, you can decide to leave them sooner than other pools. And if it is still taking long to get to 0.01 ETH, you can auto convert the ETH you've collected on MPH for another coin that you fancy with a lower minimum, so your payouts are never stuck. It was taking me too long to get monero because the difficulty suddenly spiked, so I swapped the Monero for Verge on MPH, and now I can pull out whenever I want. I'd say give them a try, and if you need any help, just let me know, and I'll work with you on the details.

I had set up Awesome miner to auto switch between Nicehash's pool (profit switching), Nanopool (ZEC only), and MiningpoolHub (profit switching), depending on which it thought was profitable at the time, and when it mined with MiningPoolHub, I would convert the coins automatically to Verge coin.

At the moment I've set it to only mine with MiningPoolHub (with profit switching), and converting into Zclassic because I'm getting ready for the Bitcoin Private fork at the end of this month.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I think I will try out MiningPoolHub, although at some point I feel obligated to finish the .016 ETH I've accumulated at Nanopool in recent weeks to 0.05 so that it's not just lost mining time Problem is it'll take weeks to get there. Considering the increases in value and difficulty, Nanopool would make some adjustments to their min withdraws.

What's the deal with Zclassic and BTC Private? Are they somehow merging to create a fork or somesuch where you can score some free coins for your zclassic?
FEEDBACK: RFD HWC Heat
Sr. Member
Feb 17, 2012
629 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
birthdaymonkey wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 7:08 pm
Thanks for the detailed reply. I think I will try out MiningPoolHub, although at some point I feel obligated to finish the .016 ETH I've accumulated at Nanopool in recent weeks to 0.05 so that it's not just lost mining time Problem is it'll take weeks to get there. Considering the increases in value and difficulty, Nanopool would make some adjustments to their min withdraws.

What's the deal with Zclassic and BTC Private? Are they somehow merging to create a fork or somesuch where you can score some free coins for your zclassic?

Most forks are scams. Be careful. I would look up their Reddit page and see what's up. Most crypto founders use Reddit to communicate.
Member
User avatar
Apr 12, 2017
216 posts
92 upvotes
birthdaymonkey wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 7:08 pm
Thanks for the detailed reply. I think I will try out MiningPoolHub, although at some point I feel obligated to finish the .016 ETH I've accumulated at Nanopool in recent weeks to 0.05 so that it's not just lost mining time Problem is it'll take weeks to get there. Considering the increases in value and difficulty, Nanopool would make some adjustments to their min withdraws.

What's the deal with Zclassic and BTC Private? Are they somehow merging to create a fork or somesuch where you can score some free coins for your zclassic?
I'm not too sure about the details yet, but from what I've read, one of the creators of Zclassic is separating and trying to use the hype of the "Bitcoin" name with the Zclassic's privacy technology to create a new coin. They say that they will credit anyone that has Bitcoin or Zclassic with the same number of Bitcoin Private.

"How do I receive BTCP?
When the hard fork occurs, a snapshot of all existing ZCL and BTC holdings will occur. Anyone holding ZCL or BTC in a wallet or supported exchange will be credited Bitcoin Private (BTCP) at a 1:1 ratio. For example, if you hold 15.4 ZCL and 0.1 BTC, you will receive 15.5 BTCP."

Source

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I gather, the way they usually prove that you have the coins you say you do is by verifying your Zclassic or Bitcoin private key. In this regard, forks can be used as scams, by stealing your private keys. If Binance supports the fork, then your private keys will remain "safe" with Binance, so it'll mitigate the risk involved.

But if Binance doesn't support the fork, then I don't think I'll go through with claiming my Bitcoin Private. @Frank2029's warning to be careful is good advice. I'm still researching it, so don't take my words as an endorsement for it. This'll be a first fork for me.
Member
User avatar
Apr 12, 2017
216 posts
92 upvotes
RedToronto wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 8:28 pm

the way they usually prove that you have the coins you say you do is by verifying your Zclassic or Bitcoin private key. In this regard, forks can be used as scams, by stealing your private keys.
I just finished watching Bitcoin Private's 2+ hour live conference regarding the coin, and they addressed the risk problem. After the snap shots of Zclassic and Bitcoin are taken on February 28, you can move your coins out of the address, so even if they have your private key, they'll have access to an empty address. And you can collect your Bitcoin Private because the snapshot will have retained that your address had bitcoin or Zclassic in it at the time of the snapshot. This means I don't even need Binance for the fork.

So here is what I'm going to do:

Note: I have Bitcoin in an address which I cannot risk losing the private key for, because even if it is empty, Nicehash is holding 0.01 of my Bitcoin hostage and will only release it to that address. So I'm including extra steps to mitigate this by creating another address.

1. Before February 28, I will transfer all my Bitcoin from my current address to a new address which I will have a new private key for. This will be my throw away address. As for my Zclassic, I'll leave in the current address because I have no ties to that address, because MiningPoolHub is flexible with which address I use to withdraw.

2. After February 28, I will transfer my Bitcoin again to a new address which I have the private key for. I will do the same with Zclassic. What this means is that now I have private keys to empty addresses (one for bitcoin and one for Zclassic) which will no longer be used for Bitcoin or Zclassic anymore, but these same private keys can be used to claim my Bitcoin Private. And it won't matter if it is a scam, because they will only have private keys to empty addresses, because my Bitcoin and Zclassic are safe in other addresses that I haven't given the private keys for.

3. This part involves claiming the Bitcoin Private using the private keys, but I'm not too sure on how things will go until I see the public's reaction to the fork.
What I could do is download their electrum wallet from the Bitcoin Private website and install it in a secure location, like a virtual machine on a throw away laptop using Tim Hortons wifi. But I wouldn't have to go through these safety measures if any exchange, like Bittrex or Binance, supports the fork, because they'd be taking the risk instead of the users.

Hope this helps clear things up.
Member
Jan 16, 2009
247 posts
121 upvotes
Lethbridge
Question for the Nicehash users out there. The unpaid balance on my account is reported differently between the Nicehash software, and the web interface for my account. Which one is likely to actually be correct? I'm using the Nicehash Legacy software, and it, at this moment reports 0.44556 mBTC, while logging into my account on Nicehash's website shows an unpaid balance of 0.53269 mBTC. The website's balance fits what I would have expected given the mining rates the miner has been reporting - is it the one I should be paying attention to?

Edit: Late last night, my miner made a sudden jump in its reported balance - assuming it's correct now, it appears that what the web interface was reporting was the correct balance previously.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1373 posts
458 upvotes
TBD
I realize this is a "ethereum mining guide" thread, but I don't see any guide or walk through. Is there a starting point? I have a 24/7 plex server with a RX580 that I may as well use for mining.

Top