• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2017 4:29 pm
Tags:
Jun 15, 2006
986 posts
33 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 12:38 pm
Question would be, do you see any use of this computer apart from mining. Or do you want it purely for mining.
There are 2 approaches.
1. If your goal is to just mine, then spend as little as possible on processor and motherboard. The only requirement should be that the motherboard should have 4-6 PCIes.
Power supply is important, for upto 4 GPUs, something around 800watts, for 6 GPUs, 1000 plus watts.
2. If your goal is to build a gaming/media server and also enjoy mining while it lasts, then Ryzen processors give a good value for money. I can share the config I built if you wish. I am yet to do a final tally, but I guess I hit something around 2000$ in costs.. But my PC can easily do 6-12 Plex streams depending on files.
I would definitely be in the latter scenario that you described above. Please share your config - can you have the mining running in the background while you're doing other computer tasks?
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2446 posts
456 upvotes
Toronto
RedToronto wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 1:40 pm
Any reason why you didn't opt for an 8GB RX580? (Price, stock levels, or not worth it for mining?)
No stocks probably. I couldn't find any when trying to upgrade my parent's pc.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8993 posts
178 upvotes
RedToronto wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 1:19 pm
What hash rates do you get on each?
31 on a 290
26 on a 290 (see previous posts about me not being able to install drivers properly in win7
30 on 1070
24 on the 1080
it's me ramin.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9972 posts
3444 upvotes
You guys are kind of late to the party trying to buy hardware now for mining. The prices are getting out of control. If you're comfortable paying that much and know up front how long it's going to take to recoup the cost, more power to you. I know I paid around $550CAD for a GTX 1070 a little over a week ago and that's about the most I would pay. I just looked and all the GTX 1070 cards are over $600 now, if you can even find one in stock. The AMD cards are even more insanely priced compared to the performance they offer, plus they consume more power and produce more heat.

@Get-a-fix I had a look at that rig and it didn't look like a good value to me at all.

Also, you should do a bit of research. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that eventually 4gb of VRAM is not going to be enough for mining. The VRAM requirements are going to increase over time. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in.

What I really like about the GTX 1070 cards is that they're fantastic gaming cards and they are also great for mining. So if you can get dual usage out of them the way I am, I say go for it. GTX 1070 SLI is insanely powerful for 4k gaming, when it scales.
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.
Sep 13, 2016
717 posts
302 upvotes
RedToronto wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 1:40 pm
Any reason why you didn't opt for an 8GB RX580? (Price, stock levels, or not worth it for mining?)
Similar performance for mining. Plus once the mining craze is over, 4GB should be more than sufficient for day to day tasks.
Jan 15, 2017
61 posts
21 upvotes
coilz wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 1:23 pm
Another random question regarding old hardware... so I've got a A8N SLi Socket 939 board with an old school Opteron 175 sitting in the basement. Think it's any use for mining?, obviously the CPU is obsolete, but the two PCIE slots useful?
LOL I just digged my A8N-SLI + Athlon64x2 out of the junk pile, and what do you know it all seems to work just fine. All I need now is a beefy PSU and a few 1060s and I can almost double my hashing power. Maybe a couple of gigs more RAM because 2GB might not be enough.

Not sure if I'll go through with that. At this point it's becoming more and more dubious financially, but this stuff is a bit addictive :D kinda like how those folding@home folks get I guess.
Apr 12, 2017
108 posts
31 upvotes
Is anyone dual mining? If so, what's the other currency you're mining with Ether?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9972 posts
3444 upvotes
RedToronto wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 8:34 pm
Is anyone dual mining? If so, what's the other currency you're mining with Ether?
I'm not. I am hearing that dual mining reduces your hashrate for ETH. ETH is where it's at right now IMO. Plus I don't want other coins to deal with. Too complicated. Perhaps others can chime in on this. I have heard people say that dual mining is better.
Apr 12, 2017
108 posts
31 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 8:57 pm
I'm not. I am hearing that dual mining reduces your hashrate for ETH. ETH is where it's at right now IMO. Plus I don't want other coins to deal with. Too complicated. Perhaps others can chime in on this. I have heard people say that dual mining is better.
The reason why I ask is because I have heard the same, that dual mining reduces your hash rate for ETH, but when reading the Claymore BitcoinTalk thread, it says:
- Supports new "dual mining" mode: mining both Ethereum and Decred/Siacoin/Lbry/Pascal at the same time, with no impact on Ethereum mining speed. Ethereum-only mining mode is supported as well.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1433925.0

It may also differ, depending on the cards used.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9972 posts
3444 upvotes
RedToronto wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 9:05 pm
The reason why I ask is because I have heard the same, that dual mining reduces your hash rate for ETH, but when reading the Claymore BitcoinTalk thread, it says:

Hmm I just read this and they said it's well worth it overall:

http://www.cryptobadger.com/2017/06/dua ... -claymore/

Is anyone else mining Siacoins with the dual mining functionality?

I think the main issue would be that it would be hard if not impossible to cash out the Siacoins.
Sep 13, 2016
717 posts
302 upvotes
enigma54 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 1:46 pm
I would definitely be in the latter scenario that you described above. Please share your config - can you have the mining running in the background while you're doing other computer tasks?
Here is my base config.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/fGfcLD
On top of this I picked 3 GPUs. Picked a wireless keyboard+mouse for 30$, and a second monitor for 10$ from Kijiji.

The PC is now in basement, and I am able to host Plex server on it, and then stream it upstairs on my TV directly. So yeah, the PC is usable while mining.
I am mining on GPUs as well as CPU.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9972 posts
3444 upvotes
RedToronto wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 9:05 pm

Ok I just figured it out! It's actually super simple. Nanopool has a config file generator for Claymore and you just tell it that you want to mine ETH and Siacoins. You will need a Siacoin wallet. Then you just paste in your wallet addresses (ETH and Siacoin) and you're done! The one thing I did was add the "-dcri 50" option. I did some reading and it is the best balance for a GTX 1070. What it does is balance the priority between Siacoins and ETH. I am losing a bit of ETH hash rate but I am mining Siacoins at a pretty good clip. I will report back once I know more in terms of profits and payouts. Thanks for asking about this! It got me motivated to do a bit of research and figure this out. You put the "dcri 50" string right after where it says "sia" in the batch file command (leave a space after "sia").
Apr 12, 2017
108 posts
31 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 9:58 pm
Ok I just figured it out! It's actually super simple. Nanopool has a config file generator for Claymore and you just tell it that you want to mine ETH and Siacoins. You will need a Siacoin wallet. Then you just paste in your wallet addresses (ETH and Siacoin) and you're done! The one thing I did was add the "-dcri 50" option. I did some reading and it is the best balance for a GTX 1070. What it does is balance the priority between Siacoins and ETH. I am losing a bit of ETH hash rate but I am mining Siacoins at a pretty good clip. I will report back once I know more in terms of profits and payouts. Thanks for asking about this! It got me motivated to do a bit of research and figure this out. You put the "dcri 50" string right after where it says "sia" in the batch file command (leave a space after "sia").
Thanks for looking into this.

This gives me more reason to switch back to Nanopool from Ethermine. I'm sure I could figure out how to get it working on Ethermine, but I'm going to give the point to the people that are making it easier for us.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Frank2029