Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9345 posts
3112 upvotes
RedToronto wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 10:50 pm
Thanks for looking into this.

This gives me more reason to switch back to Nanopool from Ethermine. I'm sure I could figure out how to get it working on Ethermine, but I'm going to give the point to the people that are making it easier for us.
Yes it's great. By my rough math, a GTX 1070 earns approximately $36USD/month mining Siacoins. You will lose a negligible amount off your ETH but it's worth it IMO. My one issue with this is that it overheated my top GTX 1070 card. I guess it made it work too hard and it couldn't handle the heat. So what I did was put in "dhci 0,50" and that effectively made it so that only my bottom GPU is mining Siacoins.

I haven't figured out how to cash out or convert the Siacoins to ETH but I'm sure it can't be that hard.
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.
Apr 12, 2017
95 posts
28 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 10:53 pm
My one issue with this is that it overheated my top GTX 1070 card. I guess it made it work too hard and it couldn't handle the heat. So what I did was put in "dhci 0,50" and that effectively made it so that only my bottom GPU is mining Siacoins.
Is there a reason for that one card overheating and not the rest (because heat rises, or because that one controls the rest, etc)?

I'm wondering because if I get a second card, would it be better to put the new one below the old one, or other way around?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1364 posts
569 upvotes
Saint John
RedToronto wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 11:06 pm
Is there a reason for that one card overheating and not the rest (because heat rises, or because that one controls the rest, etc)?

I'm wondering because if I get a second card, would it be better to put the new one below the old one, or other way around?
Top card in dual GPU configs tends to be hottest because its air intake in obstructed by the second card. Also, the air that it's pulling in has been warmed already by the bottom GPU.
Jul 26, 2008
160 posts
88 upvotes
Montreal
If you have "man" space, ( tidiness / decoration free zones in home)

Solution, place case on its side. That lowered the temps on my top card and placed a fan between both.

Or go case less, and put extra GPU's on your desk ( winter space heater in the garage, can product between 300 to 700 watts depending on the heating needs )

Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9345 posts
3112 upvotes
Yeah I don't have those options, thanks though guys. Any recommendations for a good 140mm fan? I want something with good airflow. Noise is also important but I want a good 140mm intake fan to hopefully cool my GPUs better. I will also upgrade my 140mm exhaust fan if the intake fan makes a difference. I hear Noctuas are the best but they're expensive. What do you guys think?

I also don't have any space between my GPUs which sucks. My two cards are sandwiched together.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1364 posts
569 upvotes
Saint John
SickBeast wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 12:26 am

I also don't have any space between my GPUs which sucks. My two cards are sandwiched together.
That's probably the issue - the sandwiching. I doubt another intake will make much difference if there's no breathing room at all. What case do you have, and what fans are installed right now?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9345 posts
3112 upvotes
birthdaymonkey wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 12:49 am
That's probably the issue - the sandwiching. I doubt another intake will make much difference if there's no breathing room at all. What case do you have, and what fans are installed right now?
I have an In Win Dragon Slayer case:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/henr ... se-review/

I'm using a 140mm front intake fan, 3 120mm side intake fans, a 140mm top exhaust fan, a 92mm rear exhaust fan, plus one of my GTX 1070 cards is a blower card and it also exhausts out the back.

All of my fans are low RPM. I have a feeling that upgrading the two 140mm fans to something higher speed would make a difference. The front 140mm intake fan blows directly onto both graphics cards.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8943 posts
153 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 10:18 am
I have an In Win Dragon Slayer case:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/henr ... se-review/

I'm using a 140mm front intake fan, 3 120mm side intake fans, a 140mm top exhaust fan, a 92mm rear exhaust fan, plus one of my GTX 1070 cards is a blower card and it also exhausts out the back.

All of my fans are low RPM. I have a feeling that upgrading the two 140mm fans to something higher speed would make a difference. The front 140mm intake fan blows directly onto both graphics cards.
The only way you get around the top card not choking on temperature is to get one of those GPU brackets that allow you to put an AIO cooler on it. Thats what I did for my 290s in Xfire on a mATX mobo.

That or custom loop, the AIO is much cheaper though.
it's me ramin.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9345 posts
3112 upvotes
B0000rt wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 10:37 am
The only way you get around the top card not choking on temperature is to get one of those GPU brackets that allow you to put an AIO cooler on it. Thats what I did for my 290s in Xfire on a mATX mobo.

That or custom loop, the AIO is much cheaper though.
I have an extra H60 in my garage but it's not compatible with the Nzxt bracket that you're talking about. However I have heard of people strapping these watercooling setups onto their GPUs using zip ties. What do you guys think about that? My concern is the VRMs; they will get too hot. Are my three low RPM side intake fans enough to cool my VRMs or do I need to strap an additional fan right next to the card somehow?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8943 posts
153 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 10:43 am
I have an extra H60 in my garage but it's not compatible with the Nzxt bracket that you're talking about. However I have heard of people strapping these watercooling setups onto their GPUs using zip ties. What do you guys think about that? My concern is the VRMs; they will get too hot. Are my three low RPM side intake fans enough to cool my VRMs or do I need to strap an additional fan right next to the card somehow?
I used the Corsair bracket on my 290
it's me ramin.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9345 posts
3112 upvotes
B0000rt wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 10:50 am
I used the Corsair bracket on my 290
The Corsair bracket is not compatible with my H60. My only option is to zip tie it. I have some small heatsinks that I could attach to my VRAM and also the VRMs. However I would rather do that in a way that is not permanent. Can I use thermal tape? Is that reversible? I think I will give this project a go over the summer.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26460 posts
1574 upvotes
Winnipeg
anyone know a decent place to order powered pci-e riser and elevated gpu bracket/case?
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8943 posts
153 upvotes
divx wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 11:28 am
anyone know a decent place to order powered pci-e riser and elevated gpu bracket/case?
I ordered my risers from AliExpress, hopefully I'll still be mining when they arrive
it's me ramin.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26460 posts
1574 upvotes
Winnipeg
B0000rt wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 11:37 am
I ordered my risers from AliExpress, hopefully I'll still be mining when they arrive
got link? do they accept paypal?
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9345 posts
3112 upvotes
RedToronto wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 11:06 pm

The main thing if you're buying a second card is to make sure you get a reference "blower" type of card to exhaust the heat out the back of your case, otherwise a second open air cooler will cook the top card even more. The best is if you can get one of the cards with built in AIO water cooling. I kind of regret not buying one of those. You're going to run into heat issues though, particularly if you're running AMD cards. Do you have any space between the two cards? Are your two slots sandwiched together like mine?