• Jun 22nd, 2017 7:06 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9345 posts
3112 upvotes
birthdaymonkey wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 9:03 pm
Will a larger case allow you to move the cards farther apart? If not, I think your money might be better invested in a different motherboard... Although I guess that would require a new case regardless.
I was talking to a friend on another forum and he suggested that a better case could make more of a difference compared to upgrading my fans. Noctua fans are pricey and two of them would have cost roughly the same as the new case. Plus for my next build I'm no longer going with mATX so realistically I needed a case anyways.

I cancelled my order at NCIX because I found it for $5 cheaper at Canada Computers. $80 seems like a good deal to me.
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26460 posts
1574 upvotes
Winnipeg
B0000rt wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 6:34 pm
I cut my own wood
build your own? maybe aliexpress sell those premade aluminium square rods
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1364 posts
569 upvotes
Saint John
SickBeast wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 9:35 pm
I was talking to a friend on another forum and he suggested that a better case could make more of a difference compared to upgrading my fans. Noctua fans are pricey and two of them would have cost roughly the same as the new case. Plus for my next build I'm no longer going with mATX so realistically I needed a case anyways.

I cancelled my order at NCIX because I found it for $5 cheaper at Canada Computers. $80 seems like a good deal to me.
I agree that a new case will make a much more significant difference than a fan or two. Are you 100% sold on that particular case? It still seems a bit cramped to me for a multi-GPU mining rig.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2013
5619 posts
1660 upvotes
Toronto
if you're running multi gpus, do they need to be all the same brand?? or same card??

e.g. are you running in SLI or CROSSFIRE to mine?
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
3070 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
daivey wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 10:07 pm
if you're running multi gpus, do they need to be all the same brand?? or same card??

e.g. are you running in SLI or CROSSFIRE to mine?
No. No. You can mine with any combination of cards but all AMD mining on one rig and all nVidia on rig would be preferable to minimize driver issues.

Don't need to.
Sep 13, 2016
448 posts
188 upvotes
birthdaymonkey wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 9:03 pm
Will a larger case allow you to move the cards farther apart? If not, I think your money might be better invested in a different motherboard... Although I guess that would require a new case regardless.
Spacing of card is dictated by motherboard. A bigger case can certainly help with the airflow though, and also allow more fans to be installed.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1364 posts
569 upvotes
Saint John
IndyBeak wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 10:20 pm
Spacing of card is dictated by motherboard. A bigger case can certainly help with the airflow though, and also allow more fans to be installed.
Exactly my point. He currently has an mATX case and motherboard. Upgrading the motherboard alone would mean it's still an mATX board/case, which means limited spacing between graphics cards, and most likely no extra overhang room on the bottom of the case to put a GPU in the last PCI-E slot.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9345 posts
3112 upvotes
birthdaymonkey wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 9:44 pm
I agree that a new case will make a much more significant difference than a fan or two. Are you 100% sold on that particular case? It still seems a bit cramped to me for a multi-GPU mining rig.
If you can think of something better I am open to suggestions.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
3070 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
SLee wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 3:10 am
There appears to be an issue that will show up in about 1.5-2 months with a measurable drop in hash rates for the Polaris cards with current mining software:

http://cryptomining-blog.com/8822-ether ... -incoming/
Interesting. But with ETH switching to PoS and the number of alternative but profitable coins using Ethash, the cards are still very much viable.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8943 posts
153 upvotes
Man, I'm gonna try to get windows 7 amd drivers working again. I can see that my windows 7 miner is 700 or so shares behind the win 10 box that has the 290 that's overclock a vs the one running at stock speeds.

Is there a straight shares to eth conversion that can be done? Or at least a rough estimate?
it's me ramin.
Sep 13, 2016
448 posts
188 upvotes
B0000rt wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 4:48 pm
Man, I'm gonna try to get windows 7 amd drivers working again. I can see that my windows 7 miner is 700 or so shares behind the win 10 box that has the 290 that's overclock a vs the one running at stock speeds.

Is there a straight shares to eth conversion that can be done? Or at least a rough estimate?
Roughly this. 1500-1600 shares = 0.05ETH.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
3070 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone else having awful luck on ethermine in comparison to Nanopool? Keep getting significantly long lulls of 0 shares in comparison to Nano.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9345 posts
3112 upvotes
birthdaymonkey wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 11:05 pm
Exactly my point. He currently has an mATX case and motherboard. Upgrading the motherboard alone would mean it's still an mATX board/case, which means limited spacing between graphics cards, and most likely no extra overhang room on the bottom of the case to put a GPU in the last PCI-E slot.
So hang on, are you suggesting that I can put my second GTX 1070 card into my 4x PCI-E slot at the very bottom of my motherboard? That would certainly give the top card more breathing room. However wouldn't it really hurt my performance? I would also need a new SLI bridge.

I looked into other cases today, I couldn't really find anything I like as much as the Spec-Alpha.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2107 posts
120 upvotes
So how do you make money on this thing besides mining? Buy low and sell high is that the trick?