Computers & Electronics

Ethereum mining guides?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2018 1:00 pm
Feb 17, 2012
660 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
enigma54 wrote: I haven't tried Nicehash yet because of the high fees. I'm mining ethereum and zcash directly, especially as I have nvidia gpu's.
I understand your concern but if you use whattomine.com and input the nicehash fees you will see you the difference is a few dollars PER MONTH. I have had nothing but hiccups when mining directly. With nicehash i get a better overal $$ per day and it just keeps going. You can get emails if it suddenly stops so you know when to check on the system. The only downfall in my eyes is that it converts automatically to BTC.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1451 posts
305 upvotes
Frank2029 wrote: I understand your concern but if you use whattomine.com and input the nicehash fees you will see you the difference is a few dollars PER MONTH. I have had nothing but hiccups when mining directly. With nicehash i get a better overal $$ per day and it just keeps going. You can get emails if it suddenly stops so you know when to check on the system. The only downfall in my eyes is that it converts automatically to BTC.
That's fair and I've never bothered to check whattomine.com, although I read a lot of posts claiming that their calculations aren't accurate. I guess I'm doing this to get my hands dirty and learn a few things too, so that's why I'm mining directly whereas Nicehash is hassle-free. Both the mining software and pool are taking fees from me as well. The pools I mine at do have the email feature to notify you if your miner goes offline.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
Have any of you guys tried NemosMiner recently? I'm wondering if it's more profitable than NiceHash.

I will say that NiceHash is a lot nicer in the latest version. It's very polished. It still does make my computer sluggish while mining but I find using the Edge browser fixes that. Is it available under Linux? Maybe that would be better.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
akinos1 wrote: Anyone here is DUAL mining?
Almost everyone. Most are on ETH+Decred combo.
Mar 8, 2012
486 posts
89 upvotes
Montreal
IndyBeak wrote: Almost everyone. Most are on ETH+Decred combo.
Couple questions,
Why Decred over SIA, PASCAL.. or anything else? I am running 3x RX 570.. what should I dual it with?

what wallet are you guys using? Do I need to Sync blockchain for decred? If so any way to avoid?

I am currently mining ETH on nanopool, will I have to change that?

My SSD is only 240 GB..
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
Pretty damn big jump on ZECs value tonight. Pretty sure when I looked earlier it was $380CAD for one, now it's $485CAD

Wish I started mining this a month or 2 ago, I only have 0.04623725 at the moment, only worth $22.44CAD, earlier in the day it was worth $16.xx. Hopefully the value keeps climbing and climbing.
Sep 17, 2017
88 posts
35 upvotes
Could there be a hidden pact between these companies and owners of cryptocurrencies?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
XtremeModder wrote: Pretty damn big jump on ZECs value tonight. Pretty sure when I looked earlier it was $380CAD for one, now it's $485CAD

Wish I started mining this a month or 2 ago, I only have 0.04623725 at the moment, only worth $22.44CAD, earlier in the day it was worth $16.xx. Hopefully the value keeps climbing and climbing.
Something happened there. I just looked at the chart, and it jumped from 280USD to 400 odd within a minute or so. Coming back to normal now.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
akinos1 wrote: Couple questions,
Why Decred over SIA, PASCAL.. or anything else? I am running 3x RX 570.. what should I dual it with?

what wallet are you guys using? Do I need to Sync blockchain for decred? If so any way to avoid?

I am currently mining ETH on nanopool, will I have to change that?

My SSD is only 240 GB..
As far as I know, very few of us are actually mining Decred directly, by that I mean mining with a Decred wallet. A number of us were earlier Mining ETH directly on Nanopool. Now we are mining using NiceHash. NiceHash automatically converts and pays all your earnings in Bitcoins. So the only wallet you would need is a bitcoin one. We keep switching between NiceHash (paid in bitcoin) and Nanopool (paid in ETH) based on which is better at the moment.
Mar 8, 2012
486 posts
89 upvotes
Montreal
IndyBeak wrote: As far as I know, very few of us are actually mining Decred directly, by that I mean mining with a Decred wallet. A number of us were earlier Mining ETH directly on Nanopool. Now we are mining using NiceHash. NiceHash automatically converts and pays all your earnings in Bitcoins. So the only wallet you would need is a bitcoin one. We keep switching between NiceHash (paid in bitcoin) and Nanopool (paid in ETH) based on which is better at the moment.
What do you mean by which is better at the momment? How do you figure that?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
akinos1 wrote: What do you mean by which is better at the momment? How do you figure that?
There is no precise formula. And majority of the times both are only a few cents different. I think we all had different experiences using either NiceHash or using Claymore Miner on Nanopool. A lot of factors come into play, like which miner works better with your setup, drivers etc. Then how responsive you want your computer to be while mining. Again some feel more confident about Ether's future, while some want to bet their odds on Bitcoin. So essentially it comes down to what works best for you. A lot of us like NiceHash also because it is set it and forget it sort of setup. It benchmarks your hardware against a bunch of coins and runs the most profitable algorithm at any point of time. And again payments are in Bitcoin which is kind of gold standard.
Mar 8, 2012
486 posts
89 upvotes
Montreal
IndyBeak wrote: There is no precise formula. And majority of the times both are only a few cents different. I think we all had different experiences using either NiceHash or using Claymore Miner on Nanopool. A lot of factors come into play, like which miner works better with your setup, drivers etc. Then how responsive you want your computer to be while mining. Again some feel more confident about Ether's future, while some want to bet their odds on Bitcoin. So essentially it comes down to what works best for you. A lot of us like NiceHash also because it is set it and forget it sort of setup. It benchmarks your hardware against a bunch of coins and runs the most profitable algorithm at any point of time. And again payments are in Bitcoin which is kind of gold standard.
Mind if I ask you whats your set up?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
akinos1 wrote: Mind if I ask you whats your set up?
Yeah sure. 1 GTX 970, 2 RX570 and 1 RX580. And overclocked Ryzen 1600 for CPU mining.
Mar 8, 2012
486 posts
89 upvotes
Montreal
IndyBeak wrote: Yeah sure. 1 GTX 970, 2 RX570 and 1 RX580. And overclocked Ryzen 1600 for CPU mining.
Were you able to OC your RX570? I dont seem able to. MSI AfterBurner wont let me change clock speed it's locked
Nov 13, 2011
739 posts
323 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
XtremeModder wrote: Pretty damn big jump on ZECs value tonight. Pretty sure when I looked earlier it was $380CAD for one, now it's $485CAD

What wallet are you using for ZEC?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2003
3493 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga
Just to add to this thread, it seems like the SIGT has just moved into the PoS (from PoW) phase. Its value is still in the crapper lol, but you don't have to use the GPU power any more in this case.
At the very least, I get some exposure to how PoS currencies work.
MAIN:5950X|X570S Toma|64GB|7800XT|KC3000 2TB|4TB WD Black|Creative SB XFi|BD-RW| 1440p144|1440p75 - Both 27"
HT:G5400T|8GB DDR4
SERVER:5600G|32GB DDR4|512GB|2x12TB
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16760 posts
8093 upvotes
x86asm wrote: Just to add to this thread, it seems like the SIGT has just moved into the PoS (from PoW) phase. Its value is still in the crapper lol, but you don't have to use the GPU power any more in this case.
At the very least, I get some exposure to how PoS currencies work.
Yeah I was disappointed that the value of SIGT did not go up after it went to POS. It's not fully POS yet though. It's in the "hybrid" phase. I'm not sure when it will reach full POS. I refuse to sell those coins at a loss and I'm going to hold mine and see where it goes.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
darkcloud8282 wrote: What wallet are you using for ZEC?
JAXX, mainly because I can convert the ZEC to whatever I want (like BTC, LTC, etc)
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
akinos1 wrote: Were you able to OC your RX570? I dont seem able to. MSI AfterBurner wont let me change clock speed it's locked
For Ethereum at least, the general consensus was to OC the memory, not the core clock. I have in fact underclocked my cards to run at 1150MHZ. But yeah, Afterburner does allow me to play around with clocks. I believe you can change the registry setting somewhere if it's grayed out for you in Afterburner.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)