• Sep 21st, 2017 12:56 pm
Tags:
Feb 17, 2012
408 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 3:42 pm
Do you guys know how to assemble a mining computer with 5+ graphics cards? I notice my motherboard has a total of five PCI-E ports. I assume that means I can use 5 GPUs for mining. Would I use PCI-E riser cables? Do any of you guys have a link to those types of cables? Are they simple to setup, just plug and play? Please let me know, I am very interested in this. Thanks.
What's your motherboard? You can most likely use 6+ they don't have to be pci-e. Also get your riser cards on Amazon. 6 for roughly $60
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10134 posts
3555 upvotes
Frank2029 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 5:40 pm
What's your motherboard? You can most likely use 6+ they don't have to be pci-e. Also get your riser cards on Amazon. 6 for roughly $60
Do you have a link?

I have a gigabyte z97mx gaming 5 motherboard.

Thanks for your help!
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10134 posts
3555 upvotes
Frank2029 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 6:22 pm
Price went up but it looks like they are on sale.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GU94QSQ

You sure that's your motherboard? Looks like that one has 3 pci-e and 1 pci
Yes, sorry, I was getting mixed up with my brother in law's machine. Are you saying I can add more cards even without having more pcie slots? What do I use? USB?
Feb 17, 2012
408 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
You only need 1x speed for mining rigs. Not 16x which are pci-e. The riser cards are tiny and fit into the PCI and/or pci-e. Very simple to install. If you are serious about it make sure you don't make the same mistake I did and make sure they have enough 8 pin connectors. Lucky for me I bought 2 650w PSU's that had 2 each but otherwise I would to have to Jimmy rig something up. The higher the efficiency the better. If you are really serious about it I will list every single part I bought for my rig. To give you an idea.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10134 posts
3555 upvotes
Frank2029 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 10:20 pm
You only need 1x speed for mining rigs. Not 16x which are pci-e. The riser cards are tiny and fit into the PCI and/or pci-e. Very simple to install. If you are serious about it make sure you don't make the same mistake I did and make sure they have enough 8 pin connectors. Lucky for me I bought 2 650w PSU's that had 2 each but otherwise I would to have to Jimmy rig something up. The higher the efficiency the better. If you are really serious about it I will list every single part I bought for my rig. To give you an idea.
Thanks man I really appreciate it. It's ok, don't worry about listing everything, I have a good idea of what to do now. How are you doing with the mining? Has it been worth it for you in the end?

My thoughts are that if I find a hot enough deal on a graphics card I will buy six of them. Or else maybe just four and then dump my current GTX 1070 cards in there. Can I mix and match cards? Different nVidia cards are ok? Can you mix AMD and nVidia cards?

Thanks again for all your help, you know about this stuff and I'm quite interested in doing it.
Feb 17, 2012
408 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 10:24 pm
Thanks man I really appreciate it. It's ok, don't worry about listing everything, I have a good idea of what to do now. How are you doing with the mining? Has it been worth it for you in the end?

My thoughts are that if I find a hot enough deal on a graphics card I will buy six of them. Or else maybe just four and then dump my current GTX 1070 cards in there. Can I mix and match cards? Different nVidia cards are ok? Can you mix AMD and nVidia cards?

Thanks again for all your help, you know about this stuff and I'm quite interested in doing it.

Lol pretty sure I learned most things from you. Unfortunately you won't find a great deal on video cards and most places have limits of 1 or 2 cards. I was able to order them from "Mike's computer shop" best price garantee plus price match and free shipping. In 2 days everything was shipped. Also you can order up to 4+ at once

Mining has been decent for me. Nicehash 2 (beta) has been working well compared to running claymore on its own. So far I have mined $240 in 3 weeks with 4x 1070's. Your best bet is to buy the same cards and the same brand so you can use the proper drivers and bios updates at the same time. I wouldn't waste any money on the pre overclocked cards either. They come with better coolers but are loud AF plus you already know how to overclock yourself
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
3514 posts
445 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 10:24 pm
Can you mix AMD and nVidia cards?
Yes you can but works much better if an AMD card is using the first PCI-e slot:

Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10134 posts
3555 upvotes
SLee wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:15 pm
Yes you can but works much better if an AMD card is using the first PCI-e slot:

Thanks.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10134 posts
3555 upvotes
Hey can one of you guys please let me know what kind of mining revenue per day you are currently getting in nicehash using a GTX 1080 ti card? I am thinking about buying one. Thanks!
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18193 posts
3313 upvotes
Thornhill
GTX1080Ti here, doing 730-750 Sols/s for Equihash for the past month. With the increased difficulty and miners in general, my BTC/day has dropped from 1.3 mBTC/day to 0.8 mBTC/day, I've seen as low as 0.5 mBTC/day. Of course with the current BTC price around $42xx as it peaked at 45xx and 49xx only a month ago, its hard to gauge the earnings.

As for Zcash/Equihash, in the past month the total equihash hashrate from miners went up 75%, Zcash was a decent option on Nicehash, because everything else is pretty crap. I also mine Skunk and Keccak which sometimes switches to but doesn't last more then 10 minutes. Cryptovalue in general is down 20%-40% too, which skews profits.

I'll PM you my miner page if you want to look at more details
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9004 posts
187 upvotes
Man, this difficulty has been affecting payouts.. I used to be able to get 0.2 ETH every 4 days in the beginning... Now it's 11 days!
it's me ramin.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18193 posts
3313 upvotes
Thornhill
Yeah, I used to get paid every week, now I'd be lucky if I get paid every 2 weeks lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1773 posts
180 upvotes
Brampton
B0000rt wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 12:08 pm
Man, this difficulty has been affecting payouts.. I used to be able to get 0.2 ETH every 4 days in the beginning... Now it's 11 days!
coriolis wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 1:54 pm
Yeah, I used to get paid every week, now I'd be lucky if I get paid every 2 weeks lol.

Is this with Nicehash? Ive been using them for almost 3 months and i notice the payout seems to take longer and longer. Last month, i waited for 3+ weeks just to get my balance paid.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18193 posts
3313 upvotes
Thornhill
Ironsmack wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 2:22 pm
Is this with Nicehash? Ive been using them for almost 3 months and i notice the payout seems to take longer and longer. Last month, i waited for 3+ weeks just to get my balance paid.
For me, yes. They pay out at 0.01 BTC (currently $42) for external wallets, so you mine til you hit that threshold.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)