Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9291 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal

Ethernet RJ45 cat 6 & POE

Hi,

I have a question.

Voip phone ---cat5e---> wall connector cat 6 --> inside wall cat6 cable --> wall connector cat 6 -----cat6 --> POE switch

Is this ok, or the voip phone must use cat 6 also? I know cat6 is backward compatible with cat5e, but I am not sure when it's about POE stuffs

thanks!
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
Doesn't matter for your voip phone, the lan ports on the phone are probably max 1gbps ports anyways so a 1gbps poe switch is all you need.

Unless you have 10gbps internet or devices with 10gbps lan ports your not using your cat6 to its full potential anyways, and probably won't see consumer grade 10gbps hardware for a few more years.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
Both types of cable are far more in bandwidth requirement than what any VOIP equipment needs. Video to video calls are more throttled by the providers than any equipment you have in your house.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
9291 posts
2352 upvotes
Mont-Royal
JonSnow wrote: Doesn't matter for your voip phone, the lan ports on the phone are probably max 1gbps ports anyways so a 1gbps poe switch is all you need.

Unless you have 10gbps internet or devices with 10gbps lan ports your not using your cat6 to its full potential anyways, and probably won't see consumer grade 10gbps hardware for a few more years.
eldiablo wrote: Both types of cable are far more in bandwidth requirement than what any VOIP equipment needs. Video to video calls are more throttled by the providers than any equipment you have in your house.
thanks

i was wondering if the power from poe affects when it passes from cat5e to cat 6
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
L4cky wrote: Hi,

I have a question.

Voip phone ---cat5e---> wall connector cat 6 --> inside wall cat6 cable --> wall connector cat 6 -----cat6 --> POE switch

Is this ok, or the voip phone must use cat 6 also? I know cat6 is backward compatible with cat5e, but I am not sure when it's about POE stuffs

thanks!
You'll be fine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)