Shopping Discussion

Ethics re: Monster Cables at FutureShop

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2009 12:46 am

Poll: (read first post) What would you have done?

• Total votes: 194. You have voted on this poll.
Talked out loud in the checkout line, telling the man the truth about Monser cables

21%
Attempted to pull the man aside and tell him (wasn't really an option for me)

8%
Waited outside to tell the man the truth about Monser cables

11%
Do nothing (as I did, to my shame!)

60%
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3172 posts
142 upvotes
Mississauga
I wouldn't say anything because he chose to buy it. Maybe he is super rich and to him it is just pennies. Also I wouldn't feel comfortable lecturing about products especially if I don't work there. Consumers need to ask and research before buying and learn not to trust sales people. Also if I were to pick something up and someone is lecturing me about the product I want to buy, I wouldn't like it - after all, I research and read reviews prior to purchasing anything expensive.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 3, 2006
5546 posts
3067 upvotes
Winnipeg
Keep in mind that the FS store is also private property and they could have asked you to leave.

I've seen it happen and rightly so.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
3146 posts
1489 upvotes
mmmken wrote: You might personally think Monster is a ripoff - but there are other people who think differently. To have pulled him aside is an insult to his intelligence - you are essentially implying that he is misinformed. He chose to purchase that product without pressure from salespeople.
Well, not "might personally". It absolutely IS a rip off. It's in the same vein as snake oil: promising things it doesn't deliver on, plain and simple. Or using irrelevant technical mumbo jumbo to convince someone that they will perceive a difference when all they will perceive is a lighter wallet and / or some bizarre and unhealthy "my bitchin' rig has $200 cables!" sense of pride.

...and if someone is buying Monster cables at future shop, they ARE most likely uninformed.

My original question was about the propriety of telling the truth about Monster cables IN STORE! I NEVER EVER HESITATE to say "Excuse me... did you know..." to someone who I see doing something like this. I don't care if they look at me like I just called them something so filthy as as "monster cable evangelist", if they don't appreciate the advice, fine, but I'm never gonna stop giving it. I don't like to see people waste their money, and am willing to take THEIR scorn if the advice isn't appreciated... this question is about the business ethics of saying something in store (or, in earshot of an employee)
There is no god. But it still feels good to be kind to people, animals, and the environment, so keep doing that.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario
I am a monoprice believer but some people have a point here. There are certain video/audiophiles, probably a very small percentage who would want the better quality Monster cables at the premium price and truly saturate it with bandwidth from the tens of thousands of dollars of equipment they own.

For most of us, the picture/audio difference is negligible, and it's a ripoff.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
97 upvotes
Why would you say anything? Monster makes awesome stuff that is well worth the price. [/sarcasm]

At that juncture, it's best you kept quiet. Maybe he was buying it for someone who asked for that specific cable. Maybe he did his "research" and picked it, and would be insulted by some stranger telling him he's an idiot (because that's what it would come off as in that example). Or maybe he honestly didn't know any better... regardless, you don't know, so why bother?

If you'd just overheard an employee talking up the cable and he was still debating, then you might want to step in and save him some dough.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2057 posts
885 upvotes
I would have said nothing as it's none of my business. The sales guy is just trying to do his job, and he's in his house, not mine. Had the old guy asked me for my opinion, however, I would have given it to him.

..and then I would have sold him one of my Monoprice cables for the bargain price of only $75! J/K
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1740 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
lorax1284 wrote: Well, not "might personally". It absolutely IS a rip off. It's in the same vein as snake oil: promising things it doesn't deliver on, plain and simple. Or using irrelevant technical mumbo jumbo to convince someone that they will perceive a difference when all they will perceive is a lighter wallet and / or some bizarre and unhealthy "my bitchin' rig has $200 cables!" sense of pride.

...and if someone is buying Monster cables at future shop, they ARE most likely uninformed.

My original question was about the propriety of telling the truth about Monster cables IN STORE! I NEVER EVER HESITATE to say "Excuse me... did you know..." to someone who I see doing something like this. I don't care if they look at me like I just called them something so filthy as as "monster cable evangelist", if they don't appreciate the advice, fine, but I'm never gonna stop giving it. I don't like to see people waste their money, and am willing to take THEIR scorn if the advice isn't appreciated... this question is about the business ethics of saying something in store (or, in earshot of an employee)
Whatever you think about Monster and their cables is a personal opinion - I'm not going to argue with you, but I'm sure most people will agree. There are people do swear by Monster cables without any pressure from salespeople and do pay full price for them. They might not be for you, but if they've been still so selling well at Future Shop (and various other stores) for numerous years - there is definitely a market for them. By your train of thought, people who buy Mercedes and Lexus automobiles are "likely uninformed" when they can get a Hyundai for much less.

If you do not want me to sidetrack, fine. To answer your question about business ethics - yes, there are problems. It is private property and you will most likely be thrown out - not to mention looking like an idiot for something so trivial. You've done a disservice to both the store, yourself, and the customer - with no discernible benefit to anyone. You've also insulted the customer about his lack of intelligence and implied that he was ignorant. He'd probably lecture you about how awesome the cables were and you'd debate back with him - causing an unnecessary scene.

What ever happened to "mind your own business"?
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20134 posts
2962 upvotes
You need a fifth poll option.... "Do nothing, because it is darwin in action".

I refuse to help people who won't even take any time to educate themselves as to what they are buying. Any google search at all on this topic would bring you the answer. On top of that it has been featured in countless "on your side" TV shows and even in national papers.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Dec 12, 2007
168 posts
He might have his reasons for getting the expensive cables. Was it a digital or analog cable?

And besides, he might end up not taking your advice even after you told him that monster cables are rip. Which would make yourself look like a fool in front of the employee and other customers.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2008
1104 posts
89 upvotes
Some of you guys worry WAY TOO MUCH about other peoples wallets.
Keep it to your self, and worry about your own wallet IMO.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
1590 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Every post including the OP is wrong. The answer is non of the above: Leverage the situation to your advantage.

Jackwest PM Tip #49B:
Leverage other customers part B.

I'm walking through the store and I'm looking for an associate for a PM. I find someone handling a customer who looks pretty skeptical about a deal/warranty/overpriced accessory. I enter the situation and pretend that I am just patiently waiting for the deal to end. I examine the uninformed customers reluctance and I signal to the rep that I know what is going on. I then offer advice to the customer, using something that suggests that I have authority/knowledge about the item, politely or feigned annoyance, as appropriate.

This signals to the rep that I know what I am talking about and helping him make the deal. Then when I move to my PM, he will usually give it because he know's who's he dealing with.

Now for this situation, I would do several things based on my mood and the city. If you are unlikely ever to see this person again/big city, I would just let it pass.

If it was a small city and the person looks important/useful to you, offer advice and suggest its not a good deal. If someone nearby annoyed you or you wanted to show something to the store, do the same. If you wanted to impress the cashier (who might want to do a PM with you later), also tell the truth to the customer.

Otherwise ignore it.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1740 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
jackwest wrote: Every post including the OP is wrong. The answer is non of the above: Leverage the situation to your advantage.

Jackwest PM Tip #49B:

I'm walking through the store and I'm looking for an associate for a PM. I find someone handling a customer who looks pretty skeptical about a deal/warranty/overpriced accessory. I enter the situation and pretend that I am just patiently waiting for the deal to end. I examine the uninformed customers reluctance and I signal to the rep that I know what is going on. I then offer advice to the customer, using something that suggests that I have authority/knowledge about the item, politely or feigned annoyance, as appropriate.

This signals to the rep that I know what I am talking about and helping him make the deal. Then when I move to my PM, he will usually give it because he know's who's he dealing with.

Now for this situation, I would do several things based on my mood and the city. If you are unlikely ever to see this person again/big city, I would just let it pass.

If it was a small city and the person looks important/useful to you, offer advice and suggest its not a good deal. If someone nearby annoyed you or you wanted to show something to the store, do the same. If you wanted to impress the cashier (who might want to do a PM with you later), also tell the truth to the customer.

Otherwise ignore it.
You let your big ego blind your analytical skills as well as your reading comprehension skills. The only time your PM's success depending on the salesperson's mood or attitude is a PM that is either not legitimate or it's in a gray area. Not only does your "tip" not apply the OP's situation, it's stupid.

Why? Pretend that I was a salesperson at Future Shop, and you were that "smart" customer talking to the customer with the Monster Cable as described by the OP. I'm also assuming that your PM is not entirely legitimate. If I noticed that you were being a bigot by advising random people not to buy things from my store, you can bet I wouldn't be doing any favours for you - let alone be impressed by your "knowledge". Had you read any of the previous posts (or the OP itself), you'd realize if you had pulled off your "advice" in this situation, you'd probably get laughed at by the supposed "uninformed" customer. In addition, you've just wasted a good chunk of your time.

Logically, salespeople are usually more flexible on gray areas for "good" customers (those that are either friendly or respectful).

If anyone is wrong here, it is you.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
51 upvotes
GT-eh
I would not mind anyone's business so let him buy it since he can always return back to the store anytime... :| :| :|
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
If you talked to him (either in store or outside) that would have been a nice thing to do, but not necessary

Part of shopping is being an informed consumer...he chose to buy the cables b/c he did not ask around / look around to see quality differences...it was his own responsibility to know the product he was buying

You shouldn't feel guilty, but maybe next time it would be nice to tell someone about that kind of stuff if you were in the same situation...

And I find most oolder people are more resistant to the change of thought that brand = better
Heck, working in healthcare, it is hard to convince people that generic ASA works just as well as name brand Asprin...but what can you do?
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20134 posts
2962 upvotes
jackwest wrote: Every post including the OP is wrong. The answer is non of the above: Leverage the situation to your advantage.

Jackwest PM Tip #49B:

I'm walking through the store and I'm looking for an associate for a PM.
Your mistake started right there.

brunes's PM tip #1:

Always just go to the CS desk for PMs, at any store.

Sure you may have to wait in line for a second but your success rate for a valid PM will be 100% with no hassle, because people at the CS desk do not earn commission on sales and could care less what price you pay for the item, they are also trained better on store policies hand have more authority to adjust pricing.

Why anyone would *wait* for a sales associate on the floor to do a PM is beyond me - if you're going to wait, do it at the CS desk.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2758 posts
858 upvotes
Whitby
It is no different than trying to convince a Apple fanboy not to buy an iPod when there are better and cheaper mp3 players.
Maybe it is their opinion that Monster cables are the best and higher price is equal to better quality.

Let them buy whatever they want.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1668 posts
1441 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, I can't believe you had a false sense of entitlement to tell others what they can buy with their money. This doesn't apply to monster cable only, this applies to anything that has a price discrepancy. Give you an example, a customer choose to buy more expensive milk from whole foods, but the customer could get the same product in no frills for cheaper. How awkward would it be to tell someone you don't know how to spend their money?

I really think the overall RFD atmosphere is influencing you. With all the bashing of FS and monster cables on the forums, you felt like you had to the world a favor :rolleyes:
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
I voted talk loudly.

I've done that before and when the guy heard he could get the same DVD recorder on sale for about $50 off at another store he seemed quite happy to "over hear" what I told him.

I agree that most advice that isn't sought also isn't welcome however if I happen to talk loudly to my buddy whose with me then it's not advice - it's random floating information (and, like I said, he was happy to stumble across that info).

On that note if anyone wants to watch the US Sci-Fi network or Comedy Central after posting this thread I'll be booting up the TVU player ;)
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Aug 11, 2008
637 posts
222 upvotes
If it had been my grandmother you were helping out, I would have thanked you.

She just got new HD TV. Not being very tech-literate (so can't use the internet to look up this information), she would be relying on the salesperson for advice. Thankfully she somehow walked out with a cheaper cable, I guess even the salesperson didn't want to rip off an 85 year old woman.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)