• Jan 13th, 2018 3:01 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
523 posts
130 upvotes
GTA

Europe for 10-16 days with a 5 year old plans

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are looking to head back to Europe and this time with our 5 year old daughter. We are both in agreement that the trip is going to be for her and will not do typical site seeing. We are both in mid 30's and like the markets, restaurants, and shopping around the different districts of a city.

We have setup some google flight alerts for Rome, Madrid, Lisbon, and Barcelona.

I would prefer to fly into one city and leave from another city and only use train to get from City A to City B to City C.

Any route ideas based on starting in Lisbon? we typically like 3-4 days in a city before moving on.

Thanks!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1619 posts
749 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
bostonontario wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 6:43 am
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are looking to head back to Europe and this time with our 5 year old daughter. We are both in agreement that the trip is going to be for her and will not do typical site seeing. We are both in mid 30's and like the markets, restaurants, and shopping around the different districts of a city.

We have setup some google flight alerts for Rome, Madrid, Lisbon, and Barcelona.

I would prefer to fly into one city and leave from another city and only use train to get from City A to City B to City C.

Any route ideas based on starting in Lisbon? we typically like 3-4 days in a city before moving on.

Thanks!
I would probably fly between the cities
Lisbon > Madrid (1 ish hour flight) > Barcelona > end in Rome and fly home.

Oceanarium Lisbon (huge aquarium) and the cable cars nearby would be a fun thing to include in Lisbon. Normally not a place I would waste time in for an adult trip but great for kids. Maybe take a trip to the beach (rent a car? Algarve could be reached in just over an hour)
Jul 23, 2008
654 posts
103 upvotes
do you reaaly plan to see Lisbon, Barcelona, Rome and Madrid in 10-16 days ? That maybe look fun but It wont be. Those places need time. You lose at leats half a day travelling between places, if you fly the lost time would be greater.

You should read about those places and chose what seems more appealing fo you. We've been in Germany 2 years ago and Catalogna and Portugal last year with a 5 and a 8 years old for 24 days each time. If you have specific questions about thoses places I can help you. It's true that the oceanarium was much appreciated (even by us adults !)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31462 posts
6080 upvotes
Ottawa
It is easy to take a train from Lisbon to Madrid (about 10 hrs) and then the high speed train from Madrid to Barcelona. It is just as easy to drive (about 6 hours) and drop the car in Madrid.
As for making the trip all about a 5 year old, well, lisbon is a nice city but...https://www.10best.com/destinations/por ... with-kids/
There is the zoo/aquarium in Madrid and some other attractions https://mylittlenomads.com/madrid-with-kids,
The Poble Espanyol, the Spanish village in Barcelona is worth the visit as is the aquarium and of course there are many beaches up and down the coast.
Rome, this time of year is just a bunch of lines to see ancient artifacts/sites...not the kind of thing that would interest a 5 year old.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
725 upvotes
Having travel to Europe (as well as China, Singapore, Bali) with 5 year old, my first comment would be that if this is truly for her...limit your travel. We would never do more than 1 base for every 5 days. Don't forget their entire body clock will be screwed up.

Paris was great for a 5 year old...especially when we added a day for Disney (which we preferred to Orlando). I also prefer being able to walk and being in a city ensures that you are not trapped if the day is difficult with the kid(s). We did also take the train when we traveled, our son loved it. Therein lies a key of travelling with kids. You have to think like a kid. What seems like fun for you...may be the most boring thing for the kids.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
523 posts
130 upvotes
GTA
I would only want to start in one the cities and finish in another. I couldn’t imagine doing everyone one of those cities.

I was wondering about Lisbon to Algarve and then back to Lisbon

Or Barcelona to Valencia to Madrid

I just know I don’t want to put my daughter on a train ride for more than a few hours and direct flights are a must
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1375 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:36 am
Rome, this time of year is just a bunch of lines to see ancient artifacts/sites...not the kind of thing that would interest a 5 year old.
We took a 6 year old to Rome. We went through the Vatican Museums looking for artwork done by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ... visited the Bakugan in the Vatican Museum gardens, went through the Colosseum pretending to be gladiators ... and there was breakdancing in front of the Pantheon. it is what you make it :) Add in pizza and gelato and Rome can be a pretty sweet spot for a little kid :)
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1375 upvotes
Toronto
bostonontario wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:11 pm
I just know I don’t want to put my daughter on a train ride for more than a few hours and direct flights are a must
My kids loved trains at that age, and we did more than one overnight bus ride in S. America with them. She's not stuck to her seat on a train like she is on a plane or especially like she would be in a carseat - she can walk around, get snacks, look out the window. In know in parts of Europe there are trains with family carriages, and play structures built in.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31462 posts
6080 upvotes
Ottawa
wirebound wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:31 pm
We took a 6 year old to Rome. We went through the Vatican Museums looking for artwork done by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ... visited the Bakugan in the Vatican Museum gardens, went through the Colosseum pretending to be gladiators ... and there was breakdancing in front of the Pantheon. it is what you make it :) Add in pizza and gelato and Rome can be a pretty sweet spot for a little kid :)
So, you lied to your kids so you could see what you wanted :).
My point was, and is, a 5 year old does not really care where they are, as long as they are with mommy and daddy but, they get bored easily.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6709 posts
4223 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
wirebound wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:31 pm

Lol, I got the tongue in cheek humour ...
(Michaelangelo - Leonardo - Donatello - Raphael)
That perhaps my friend Pete_Coach missed
BUT
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:08 pm
So, you lied to your kids so you could see what you wanted :).
My point was, and is, a 5 year old does not really care where they are, as long as they are with mommy and daddy but, they get bored easily.
I agree... kids especially at 5 are not going to be focussed on much of anything, their interests are far more about time spent with Mom & Dad

And yes they get bored quickly... especially by things that adults are interested in

When the OP said they were making this trip to Europe for their 5 year old...
My radar went off
They may “call it” that but... I sure don’t know any 5 year olds that are pestering their parents for a trip to Europe to trek around city to city to see the art, architecture and historic sites

IMO, the best Reply by far in this topic is the one by @nalababe
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
523 posts
130 upvotes
GTA
I wouldn’t bring her to museums and stick to aquariums, beaches, kiddie things. I just want to get away and enjoy the food and atmosphere.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1619 posts
749 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
bostonontario wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 7:16 pm
I wouldn’t bring her to museums and stick to aquariums, beaches, kiddie things. I just want to get away and enjoy the food and atmosphere.
I would recommend staying in the Algarve for a few days. I remember seeing a waterpark there which might be of interest to you.
Nov 8, 2017
630 posts
261 upvotes
5 year old kid.
15 days in Europe
Train travel covering long distances

Are you a masochistic?

Leave the grub behind and enjoy yourselves

You can't live a childfree lifestyle while hauling around a kid