Travel

EVA Air/Air Canada - Direct daily service from Toronto - Taipei and Vancouver - Taipei

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2018 8:07 am
Nov 22, 2010
712 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
PenguinRei wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:06 pm
Both EVA and Cathay economy are pretty similar quality in terms of direct flight from past experiences. Definitely better experience than Air Canada.
Good service. The seating space was alright, but might not be comfortable for tall people.
The food was so-so. For a 12 hr+ flight, it's good enough.
Service wise, they are pretty much identical. For food, I slightly prefer EVA. They both leave past midnight and arrive very early in the morning. Definitely prefer either of them over AC. The seats are still 9 across (for now), vs. AC's 10 across HD seating.
Nov 22, 2010
712 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
McKinsey wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:22 pm
Did you select your meal online? Having a tough choice deciding between the lobster thermidor, lobster in xo sauce or bbq duck.
They offer online meal selection on YYZ-TPE now? I flew them a few months ago and they only offered the online choices on TPE-YYZ. In any case, I really enjoyed the rack of lamb (if you have that choice).
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3566 posts
1391 upvotes
My wife and I fly EVA Air from YYZ every year or two to SE Asia in premium economy. Eva Air is usually about $1000+ cheaper than Cathay Pacific for PE. Food is nothing special but like the seating for these long flights to Asia.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1548 posts
565 upvotes
Tokyo
travelgeek wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:37 am
They offer online meal selection on YYZ-TPE now? I flew them a few months ago and they only offered the online choices on TPE-YYZ. In any case, I really enjoyed the rack of lamb (if you have that choice).
Might be a new thing, didn't see the lamb though.

Current menu:
Braised Pork with Soya Sauce Served with Vegetables and Steamed Rice
Noodle Soup with BBQ Duck Served with Marinated Konnyaku and Cucumber
Pan Seared Sea Bass with Creamy Dill Sauce Served with Vegetables and Potatoes
ExclusiveStir Fried Lobster with XO Sauce Served with Seasonal Vegetables and Egg Fried Rice
ExclusiveGrilled Medallion Veal Served with Seasonal Vegetables and Pasta Cavatappi Lobster with Cheese
ExclusiveLobster Thermidor Served with Seasonal Vegetables and Mixed Wild Rice
ExclusivePotato Crusted Salmon Served with Seasonal Vegetables
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46787 posts
12762 upvotes
Do they offer cheaper wine to economy class passengers?
Jan 14, 2017
291 posts
147 upvotes
McKinsey wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:22 pm
Did you select your meal online? Having a tough choice deciding between the lobster thermidor, lobster in xo sauce or bbq duck.

Did you sit in the front cabin or the mid near economy?
We fly with EVA business class at least once a year to TPE and we always sit in the middle cabin because our 2 toddlers are with us. I love it how it's a short walk to the washrooms and kitchen for the kids but you do get some noise from the PE...

As food wise, we pretty much had everything on the menu for pre order and found the light dinner one (usually a noodle with meat) to be best. Service is always hit and miss depending on the crew and the load. One summer, there were only 6 passengers in Business class n the flight to Taiwan!!!
Jul 22, 2017
178 posts
105 upvotes
Pingu in the city
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:36 pm
Do they offer cheaper wine to economy class passengers?
Well, this is what they had on their menu for EVA economy class on my trip earlier this year.
Noot Noot!❗😄
Great coffee, better mind!
Aeropress | Hario V60 | French press | Vietnamese coffee filter | Kalita narrow-mouthed pot | %
Current V60 recipes : Tetsu Kasuya's 4:6 & Chad Wang's
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1220 posts
322 upvotes
Oakville
Stryker wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:55 am
My wife and I fly EVA Air from YYZ every year or two to SE Asia in premium economy. Eva Air is usually about $1000+ cheaper than Cathay Pacific for PE. Food is nothing special but like the seating for these long flights to Asia.
Specific to Premium Economy on EVA:

1. Lots of complaints online about big AV boxes under the seat in front impacting footspace but also about seats having footrests vs legrests. Only the very front row in PE gets legrests. Any thoughts on this?
2. At YYZ do you get preferred check-in?

TIA.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3566 posts
1391 upvotes
RETD wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 11:36 am
[/left]
Specific to Premium Economy on EVA:

1. Lots of complaints online about big AV boxes under the seat in front impacting footspace but also about seats having footrests vs legrests. Only the very front row in PE gets legrests. Any thoughts on this?

I always try to avoid (if possible) the very front seating on any airline in any class. Although they had some sort of footrest, I really didn't really use it much. Just happy to be able to sit in a very comfortable wide seat and stretch out with plenty of leg room (I'm 5' 7") in front of me, compared to the days in regular economy on these long Pacific flights.

RETD wrote:
Dec 18th, 2017 11:36 am
[/left]
2. At YYZ do you get preferred check-in?

TIA.

Haven't flown to Asia since March 2017, but at that time, yes, preferred check-in at YYZ.

Like Cathay Pacific, I find the ground staff and flight crew on Eva Air, to be very efficient. Between the two airlines, usually Eva Air's fares are the cheapest in Premium Economy.

Edit: Changed March 2016 to March 2017. My mistake.
Dec 31, 2017
1 posts
McKinsey wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:07 am
BUMP! Has anyone flown the YYZ-TPE route?

While there's plenty of info on FlyerTalk, would be nice to hear feedback from RFDers, thanks!

I flew by Eva on their YYZ-TPE route late October. I flew by business class using my loyalty points and this was my second trip on the same route. The service was excellent. I did enjoy my Royal Salute 21 year old single malt (though should have gone for the Kavalan single malt). The food was great and what's more, the pajamas have also been improved. It was a great experience, I would say.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1548 posts
565 upvotes
Tokyo
UPDATE:
Also just came back from EVA.

Notables:
-Good quality PJs
-Rimowa kits
-6-course plated meal (e.g. no meal trays). Lobster and burgers were by far my favorite, rack of lamb was ok
-Beverage selection including Royal Salute, Hennessy XO, Veuve Cliquot, TWG tea
-Duty Free deals, bottle of JW Blue for $200
-Service was amazing, compared to AC international Business Class

This is my new favorite airline to travel to Asia-Pac in Business class, compared to AC, United, Singapore, Asiana, Cathay and ANA.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1220 posts
322 upvotes
Oakville
Seat Selection:
At what point in the online booking process do you get to select seats? I got as far as entering credit card info (after entering passport info) before I aborted it.
My travel dates are flexible to get the seat assignments I prefer (limited availability of PE seats) for my wife and me.

TIA

Edit - Answering my own question: You cannot view/choose seats when buying your ticket. After you have purchased your ticket you can then go into "Manage My Trip" to select seats so you must commit first and take your chances. Other airlines (not all) allow you to view seats before purchasing.
Last edited by RETD on Jan 10th, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3843 posts
326 upvotes
Toronto
I fly the YYE-TPE route frequently. I just love the 00:35 departure. So much less hassle to go through customs and security, and you arrive in Asia in the AM instead of late PM. Their premium economy is not much more than an economy seat, so I often choose a PE seat. Service is 10 times better than any North American airline.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3980 posts
602 upvotes
How full does the Eva Air YYZ-HKG plane get? I'm looking to fly one way this September. Eva Air's site won't show their seat availability until after tickets are purchased. I don't want to buy a ticket only to find out after that only middle seats are left.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10688 posts
1016 upvotes
Mississauga
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 6:11 pm
How full does the Eva Air YYZ-HKG plane get? I'm looking to fly one way this September. Eva Air's site won't show their seat availability until after tickets are purchased. I don't want to buy a ticket only to find out after that only middle seats are left.
I flew in early February this year and it was full both ways. I like to choose the aisle seats for really long flights like this anyway, as it lets me go to the washroom without bothering anyone.