Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Toronto > Hong Kong $970 RT [Sept-Nov]

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2015 11:55 am
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18696 posts
5729 upvotes
i only tried ONCE with AC and will not fly AC anymore esp after the incident screwed up my mom's ticket because oversold ticket...boycott them..
CX, EVA or SQ are much better than AC...

the AC groundscrew sux too..not professional at all..esp compare to HKIA..

i swear i will never fly AC anymore in my life unless is FREE
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
5132 posts
4925 upvotes
My wife and I have flown both Cathay Pacific and Eva Air to S.E. Asia, (sometimes in economy class, but also in premium economy) and we actually have no preference for one airline's service over the other, except usually Eva seems to have the cheaper fare. Either we have enough travel points to get a Canadian Tire gift card when we use Cathay (Asia Miles) or an Esso gift card for flying EVA Air (Aeroplan), it doesn't really matter.
Dec 21, 2009
340 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
xwar wrote: I wonder if you can extend your stopover in taipei for a few days?
Yes.

I just went to china with EVA air last month. I did a stop over in taipei for a week and continue to china afterwards without any charge.
You have to get the dates right and book it on their site with the multi city option.
Jun 8, 2005
4 posts
Thanks to OP for the deal.

Quite a few comments re the service but I am wondering if anyone can share their thoughts on safety? These years, I try to stick to AC only because I "think" their planes are maintained better. I also believe CX planes were maintained well years ago (they used to pride on using Rolls Royce engine and Caucasian cockpit crew) but I am not sure these years. I never flew with Eva Air before, so comments re plane safety please?

My comments re CX/AC service is : if I can afford to fly First/Business Class, I pick CX as their food and pre-flight lounge would be way better, if I fly Economy (sardine Class), then AC all the way as I rather just walk to the middle or the back to get my own juice/water, I really do not much care about any of the little service they want to or willing to provide.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12744 posts
25706 upvotes
Montreal
AcidBomber (OP) is the Master of Travel deals here but if I may suggest China Eastern for a few dates +/- $CAN 850.

Even $CAN 817 Nov. 3-17

Anyone flown China Eastern?
Dec 17, 2014
801 posts
386 upvotes
Temporel wrote: AcidBomber (OP) is the Master of Travel deals here but if I may suggest China Eastern for a few dates +/- $CAN 850.

Even $CAN 817 Nov. 3-17

Anyone flown China Eastern?
I have flown with China Eastern. Not sure if you've flown with Air China before but I liked the latter a lot better.
Everything was just meh. Seats and entertainment system was buggy.
Definitely prefer CX over China Eastern and Air China.
But anything is better than Air Canada. LOL
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
5132 posts
4925 upvotes
OneEyedGoose wrote: Thanks to OP for the deal.

Quite a few comments re the service but I am wondering if anyone can share their thoughts on safety? These years, I try to stick to AC only because I "think" their planes are maintained better. I also believe CX planes were maintained well years ago (they used to pride on using Rolls Royce engine and Caucasian cockpit crew) but I am not sure these years. I never flew witt Eva Air before, so comments re plane safety please?
In January of this year, Airline Ratings ranked both EVA Air and Cathay Pacific as being among the top ten safest airlines in the world.
Apr 10, 2006
864 posts
858 upvotes
Just flew CX about a 1.5 month ago from YYZ to HKG to MNL. Service was still the same when I flew with them 12 years ago though probably a bit less. You do sometimes get the frowny face from a few of the crew (mostly men, the women tends to be always smiling and a lot better looking than AC crew). I prefer their inflight entertainment over AC anytime. They're always on time and flight was smooth (only 1 or 2 turbulence which only lasted for about 3 to 5 minutes each). Food is also better than AC. And they now leave the snacks (chips, fruit gummies, nuts) and drinks in their preparation area for people to just grab them whenever they want. Or you can always ask for a nice hot instant noodle in a cup if you're cold or just want something to eat in between the meals.

My only gripe with CX is for the short haul flight from HKG to MNL and back. They're still using the "clam seat" or non reclining one. Instead of the back reclining, the bottom pushes forward. Depending on your height and weight, this will definitely kill your back and neck and a few bruises on the knees. I'm by no means tall and that was the most uncomfortable 1.5 hour flight. I read before that long haul flights were using these types of seats too and they got a lot of complaints. Try sitting in that position for 16 hours.

So CX over AC anytime. Though I want to try other airlines too like Korean and Eva next time. Any comments on Eva and Korean air?