• Feb 19th, 2005 12:17 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 15, 2003
691 posts
1 upvote

ever been to Japan?

I'm at a point where I really have to change my life......

thinking of saving up few grand, selling all my posessions and going to live in Japan for a year.....

any1 done something like that?
ridin high, livin free
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7030 posts
170 upvotes
New Westminster
Do you know how to speak Japanese?
insert witty comment
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Are you going as part of a teaching English contract?
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
201 upvotes
Unless you have a job lined up already a few grand is not gonna lost long.

It is very expensive to live in Japan.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
3787 posts
67 upvotes
is there a reason that it has to be japan? is there something about the culture, or a job opportunity, that draws you there?

because, afaik, there are more lucretive countries in asia that you could pursue--korea, taiwan, and even mainland china (from what i've heard).
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
3133 posts
15 upvotes
a few grand? You need a few grand just to stay a week there. Living costs are very high. Besides that, job oppertunities for foreigners are few and far between. Unless you are teaching english, which is probably the only job out there for you. It's very hard to be a immigrant in japan, their doors are not as open as they are here. Unless you plan on knocking up some japanese chick, and marrying her. Odds are you will be asked to leave the country within a few months unless you find a job. And even with the english teaching job oppertunities, you have to be outside the country to get a contract, i don't think you can just go there and find work. It works very differently, but from what my friends told me you can't just be any person off the street. you gotta do alot of the job finding stuff from outside the country first. Why not just move to vancouver if your looking for a change.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes
junglebass wrote:I'm at a point where I really have to change my life......

thinking of saving up few grand, selling all my posessions and going to live in Japan for a year.....

any1 done something like that?
Really wanna do that? Go to Bhutan. I would have even suggested Nepal but there is a lot of political unrest atm.

North east India, or Himachal Pradesh in Indian (Gharwal Himalayas) is another place to go. Or even Ladakh. Smaller Indonesia Island. Parts of Thailand, Laos or Vietnam. I mean there are literally thousands of places to go to.

Japan is super expensive, and if you looking for a "find your inner self, and discover the meaning of life" quest, then commerical Japan or any country for that matter is not where you want to go.

Also, this kind of move requires a greal deal of conviction, motivation and thought. Its not as easy to pack your bags and disappear. You have to know what you really want.

Read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence". Worth it.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1301 posts
A train pass on the shinkausen would cost you a few hundred just for a few weeks. Living in japan is quite expensive.

Have you tried applying for government foreign service? I used to have a professor who started off in foreign service in japan, then went on to work for a giant Japanese thinktank and finally came back to work as a professor after he married a japanese woman and had 2 daughters.
Oct 19, 2004
108 posts
vancouver
good for you man, this country is BS. Japan is a very nice place but I think id get tired of the people and the language pritty quick. If you wanna go somewhere that you think you would like to stay your whole life, go live in Italy, France or Spain.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8827 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto
I would love to go visit.. maybe visit red district while i am there.. lol.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2003
4466 posts
4 upvotes
how much do you know about japan?

u need to do more research before you make a decision like this...
Why are hurricanes named after women? When they come they are wet and wild but when they leave they take your house AND your car.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6512 posts
199 upvotes
I lived there for a couple years in the mid 90s. Its great.
The reason people choose to go to Japan and not other asian countries is because of:
a) Anime (if you're into it)
b) Technology and gadgets
c) Food
d) money (you can save lots of money if you don't go out much)
e) its more modern/westernized than most other asian countries (korea is very close) so you don't have to worry about going to a hospital there
f) its clean
g) Japanese women are hot and dress far better than women here
h) good place to learn the language
I) very low crime rate (I walked around with hundreds in my wallet with no fear)
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
3139 posts
78 upvotes
Mississauga
You really have no clue eh? Nice.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes
bionicbadger wrote:I lived there for a couple years in the mid 90s. Its great.
The reason people choose to go to Japan and not other asian countries is because of:
a) Anime (if you're into it)
b) Technology and gadgets
c) Food
d) money (you can save lots of money if you don't go out much)
e) its more modern/westernized than most other asian countries (korea is very close) so you don't have to worry about going to a hospital there

f) its clean
g) Japanese women are hot and dress far better than women here
h) good place to learn the language
I) very low crime rate (I walked around with hundreds in my wallet with no fear)
I really dont think that those are the reasons from the original post. Seemed to me like he wanted to get away from all that.