• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2005 12:17 am
Tags:
None
Banned
Jan 6, 2005
1171 posts
12 upvotes
bionicbadger wrote: g) Japanese women are hot and dress far better than women here
)
Ya! And no fatties over there like here!!! Plus they have more class, not ones like here, just to go the bar every night and get drunk till they pass out and dont remember how they got home.
Oct 12, 2004
469 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
PBure wrote:Ya! And no fatties over there like here!!! Plus they have more class, not ones like here, just to go the bar every night and get drunk till they pass out and dont remember how they got home.
whoa, that's pretty stereotypical and ignorant-sounding.
if you don't think there are a ton of women who go to the bar every night in japan, get drunk till they pass out, and don't remember how they got home as well, well.... okay.
and well, if you don't think there are a ton of women in north america who DON'T do the above things, well.... okay.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29610 posts
2295 upvotes
Winnipeg
chellemi wrote:whoa, that's pretty stereotypical and ignorant-sounding.
if you don't think there are a ton of women who go to the bar every night in japan, get drunk till they pass out, and don't remember how they got home as well, well.... okay.
and well, if you don't think there are a ton of women in north america who DON'T do the above things, well.... okay.

asians don't usually get fat, their diat consists of mainly veggies, not meat compared to the diat here in canada.

reason, japan is warm, grow cheap veggie, canada is cold and much import from the states, therefore meat is cheaper.
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18475 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
rite.... ..... go to school
divx wrote:asians don't usually get fat, their diat consists of mainly veggies, not meat compared to the diat here in canada.

reason, japan is warm, grow cheap veggie, canada is cold and much import from the states, therefore meat is cheaper.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29610 posts
2295 upvotes
Winnipeg
i know what you are thinking, it's just genetics
[OP]
Dec 15, 2003
691 posts
1 upvote
manixc wrote:Do you know how to speak Japanese?
10 words so far
Headhunter wrote:Are you going as part of a teaching English contract?
No, I'm gona apply for Working Holiday Visa soon. (thats 6 month and can get 6 month extension)
Montague wrote:Unless you have a job lined up already a few grand is not gonna lost long.

It is very expensive to live in Japan.
nothing lined up, but do have an interview coming up with nova, part time english speaker; tokyo is most expensive city in the world
afong56 wrote:is there a reason that it has to be japan? is there something about the culture, or a job opportunity, that draws you there?

because, afaik, there are more lucretive countries in asia that you could pursue--korea, taiwan, and even mainland china (from what i've heard).
I just find Japan a lot more intresting than other asian countries...
Cruel_Angel wrote:a few grand? You need a few grand just to stay a week there. Living costs are very high. Besides that, job oppertunities for foreigners are few and far between. Unless you are teaching english, which is probably the only job out there for you. It's very hard to be a immigrant in japan, their doors are not as open as they are here. Unless you plan on knocking up some japanese chick, and marrying her. Odds are you will be asked to leave the country within a few months unless you find a job. And even with the english teaching job oppertunities, you have to be outside the country to get a contract, i don't think you can just go there and find work. It works very differently, but from what my friends told me you can't just be any person off the street. you gotta do alot of the job finding stuff from outside the country first. Why not just move to vancouver if your looking for a change.

LOL im not going to stay in 5 star hotels; im fine with hostels, gaijin houses.... 3 grand should last me at least a month and by then I should be working somewhere, I'll start with teaching english, lots of ads on the net...heh not planing to marry anytime soon. I do have 3 month, ill try to find something b4 going. And you get 6 month visa with working holiday. I actualy did though of BC before but dont think that will be a big change...
porphyra wrote:Really wanna do that? Go to Bhutan. I would have even suggested Nepal but there is a lot of political unrest atm.

North east India, or Himachal Pradesh in Indian (Gharwal Himalayas) is another place to go. Or even Ladakh. Smaller Indonesia Island. Parts of Thailand, Laos or Vietnam. I mean there are literally thousands of places to go to.

Japan is super expensive, and if you looking for a "find your inner self, and discover the meaning of life" quest, then commerical Japan or any country for that matter is not where you want to go.

Also, this kind of move requires a greal deal of conviction, motivation and thought. Its not as easy to pack your bags and disappear. You have to know what you really want.

Read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence". Worth it.
Wow, great list of places above; I was considering most of them. But I dont think 3 grand will last me long there and I have no idea how to get some income after that. I want to visit these places later on.
I started thinking about this few weeks ago but now i actually really want to do it. And right now I don't know what I want in life, so this move will be really good for me. And in my case its pretty easy to pack the bags and disappear. I dont have a good job, perm place to stay, no big posessions, GF or anything that is holding me back. Only thing thats in TO for me is part of my family and few good friends......So I'm planing to discover what I really want....tnx for the book rec, ill try to get my hands on it
callous wrote:A train pass on the shinkausen would cost you a few hundred just for a few weeks. Living in japan is quite expensive.

Have you tried applying for government foreign service? I used to have a professor who started off in foreign service in japan, then went on to work for a giant Japanese thinktank and finally came back to work as a professor after he married a japanese woman and had 2 daughters.
I looked into it but only thing i found from gov is the JET program(teach english) but u need uni for that and i only have college

bboy_random, tnx will take a read; iv read lots before and all mostly positive

forzamilan wrote:good for you man, this country is BS. Japan is a very nice place but I think id get tired of the people and the language pritty quick. If you wanna go somewhere that you think you would like to stay your whole life, go live in Italy, France or Spain.
Thanks man! I like this country but i got really sick of TO; dont want to live here for now. I have no idea where i want to stay my whole life.... So ill take it a year at a time to discover. Great places you mentioned as well.

akito925, :) ill keep u all posted

ronny1980 wrote:how much do you know about japan?

u need to do more research before you make a decision like this...
few hours reading on the net. Enough for me. Now time to act...
bionicbadger wrote:I lived there for a couple years in the mid 90s. Its great.
The reason people choose to go to Japan and not other asian countries is because of:
a) Anime (if you're into it)
b) Technology and gadgets
c) Food
d) money (you can save lots of money if you don't go out much)
e) its more modern/westernized than most other asian countries (korea is very close) so you don't have to worry about going to a hospital there
f) its clean
g) Japanese women are hot and dress far better than women here
h) good place to learn the language
I) very low crime rate (I walked around with hundreds in my wallet with no fear)
G, h, i are more for me.

porphyra, well I dont want to completly get away from all that.... I tryed to do my thing here in TO for the last few years and its just not working out. Im not happy here. I want to experience something new and i want a chellange too. I want to go to Japan to explore, not have a routine, to meet new people, to survive......

PBure, i did develop a teaste for exotic wimen, i dont dig local chicks here

I'm kinda thin myself so yes i like/prefer thin chicks
ridin high, livin free
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2004
3953 posts
18 upvotes
bionicbadger wrote:I lived there for a couple years in the mid 90s. Its great.
The reason people choose to go to Japan and not other asian countries is because of:
a) Anime (if you're into it)
b) Technology and gadgets
c) Food
d) money (you can save lots of money if you don't go out much)
e) its more modern/westernized than most other asian countries (korea is very close) so you don't have to worry about going to a hospital there
f) its clean
g) Japanese women are hot and dress far better than women here
h) good place to learn the language
I) very low crime rate (I walked around with hundreds in my wallet with no fear)
I can only say... that hundreds of Japanese Yen isn't really that much. People here in Vancouver carries thousands to buy computer parts...
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1301 posts
You may know at this point that they are extremely selective in choosing english teacher-candidates. Even 3 years back they were specifically looking for people with master degrees or higher and now they may even require certs as well as being a native english speaker before granting an interview.

The japanese are one of the most racist people in the world, and unless you are part japanese, you'll be treated as 2nd class citizens. It is nothing like being in canada.

Anyways, enjoy the japanese-fascination for a while before reality hits
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6513 posts
199 upvotes
If you go to Japan to get away, and then want to stay in Tokyo and work for Nova you are defeating the purpose. Tokyo is half full of gaijin so its not really getting away or changing that much. You have to go to some smaller city or in the country to really experience Japan.

And do some research on the net about working for Nova, ECC or Geos (the big 3 ) English schools in Japan. There are lots of complaints. If you can find a smaller place or a private school, you are probably way better off.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11961 posts
260 upvotes
bionicbadger wrote:If you go to Japan to get away, and then want to stay in Tokyo and work for Nova you are defeating the purpose. Tokyo is half full of gaijin so its not really getting away or changing that much. You have to go to some smaller city or in the country to really experience Japan.

And do some research on the net about working for Nova, ECC or Geos (the big 3 ) English schools in Japan. There are lots of complaints. If you can find a smaller place or a private school, you are probably way better off.
Tokyo will SEEM half full of gaijin if you are in a McDonald's-like English school like Nova. I lived downtown Tokyo for a year and a half working in corporate recruiting, and I saw all of 3 gaijin out of the (roughly) 12 trillion people I would bump shoulders with during the average day.

I actually do recommend NOT taking an English teaching job until you get there (unless you are a particularly unappealing candidate). You will get saddled with a terrible contract, and not have the option to choose your locale. You can get more money from some private schools outside of Tokyo, and have a more "Japanese" experience.

Yes, it's expensive, but ignore the "you need $10K just to survive there while you look for work!" crowd. It's not (quite) that bad.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2003
691 posts
1 upvote
callous wrote:You may know at this point that they are extremely selective in choosing english teacher-candidates. Even 3 years back they were specifically looking for people with master degrees or higher and now they may even require certs as well as being a native english speaker before granting an interview.

The japanese are one of the most racist people in the world, and unless you are part japanese, you'll be treated as 2nd class citizens. It is nothing like being in canada.

Anyways, enjoy the japanese-fascination for a while before reality hits
heh, im not going there to get fancy treatments, also know that I'll never be fully accepted there..... and when i first came to Canada, i was treated as a 2nd class citizen. And iv lost reality a while back
bionicbadger wrote:If you go to Japan to get away, and then want to stay in Tokyo and work for Nova you are defeating the purpose. Tokyo is half full of gaijin so its not really getting away or changing that much. You have to go to some smaller city or in the country to really experience Japan.

I dont want to stay in Tokyo and work for nova!!!...... I'll start my adventure in/around Tokyo. Would like to learn basic conversational Japanese, check out the job market, have some fun.....

And Iv read all about English Sweat Shops, but if I have to start there I'm willing to do it.

And once I'm comfortable in Japan, want to go to smaller citys and the country side.
deep wrote:Tokyo will SEEM half full of gaijin if you are in a McDonald's-like English school like Nova. I lived downtown Tokyo for a year and a half working in corporate recruiting, and I saw all of 3 gaijin out of the (roughly) 12 trillion people I would bump shoulders with during the average day.

I actually do recommend NOT taking an English teaching job until you get there (unless you are a particularly unappealing candidate). You will get saddled with a terrible contract, and not have the option to choose your locale. You can get more money from some private schools outside of Tokyo, and have a more "Japanese" experience.

Yes, it's expensive, but ignore the "you need $10K just to survive there while you look for work!" crowd. It's not (quite) that bad.
If I get this job with nova, I'll take it, just as a backup, not planning to work there for long.... I dont even know if I'll like that field, only time can tell.

And it will be a nice chellange for me to survive on $3K there, I've gotten too used to my easy life in Canada....
ridin high, livin free
Dec 1, 2004
56 posts
porphyra wrote: Read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence". Worth it.
Why do you suggest reading this book?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7927 posts
1141 upvotes
Toronto
Japan seems great in terms of the higjhly industrialised aspect like cars, electronics and techy toys etc but it does not seem to be a place that facilitates non japanese speaking and other ethnicities very well unless you are just there as a tourist or to do business.

I have never been to Japan but it seems to be rough for persons from other cultures who are required to adapt to the Japanese culture very quickly in order to survive or risk alienation.

They certainly do not seem as accepting of other cultures etc like say Canada and expect all foreigners to adapt to their culture instead of them facilitating or integrating other cultures positives or tolerating others, thus preserving and maintaining their own one dimensional monoculture.

It seems a scary place to be living in if you are non japanese.

I do not know this for sure, but based on movies like "Lost in Translation" and "The Grudge" and The Ring etc it is not the first place that would come to mind if i wished a change of scenery in my life.

Try other parts of Canada that are closer to home first and then venture to more socially cultured Europe etc.

If you are a minority stay away from places like Austrailia and Germany.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4421 posts
159 upvotes
Austin/Markham
good for you, I dropped everything and went to Taiwan and I don't regret it, its been a nice change of pace and havent' seen snow for a year :)

It also really made me appreciate what I had in Canada much more, the clean air, the large houses, the empty streets.

When U get to Japan U maybe shocked by how crowded it is, and be advised that asians are extremely racist. Japan is one of the most anti-immigrant countries out there, and it is seen in their immigration laws as well, don't expect to be welcommed, they want U to do your job and than leave. I see many companies running caricature stereotypical ads here to sell products, and they are multinational companies, not just small local ones.

One recent one was a bunch of black ppl dressed up in prison uniforms jumping around like monkeys around a commercial by Accenture. I think they were trying to show their prices so good it was criminal, but my chinese is crap so don't take my word for it. Also, whenever the gov tries to warn women about molesters, they always use stereotypical white guys in the cartoons, ok maybe they think white guys have a higher sex drive from American movies, but honestly how many whities are their in Asia? how many of them are really molesting ppl, but anyways getting way OT here

Anyways, its defeinitely different and something U will find fun, and Canada is a nice place to come back to when U want civilization.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7030 posts
170 upvotes
New Westminster
Why not consider places like Hong Kong or Taiwan?
insert witty comment