• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2018 3:18 pm
Tags:
Jul 21, 2014
846 posts
142 upvotes
Canada

Ever had a phone interview...?

I recently applied for a job at a reputable insurance company then followed up by contacting who my boss would be if I got the job, basically saying I would be a good fit for them, etc.
She contacted me and we spoke on the phone for approx 5 mins & said she wanted me to meet with their HR dept. Their HR dept contacted me the next day & wants to have a phone interview with me on Monday.
Phone interview...? Is this something new...? Normally I’ve only ever done interviews in person but they said it would be about 20-30 mins in length. Just never heard of doing it on the phone.
28 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2017
1055 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto
Um not sure where you've been this whole time but a phone interview is the norm as the first step of any hiring process.
Jul 21, 2014
846 posts
142 upvotes
Canada
hockeyfan1990 wrote: Um not sure where you've been this whole time but a phone interview is the norm as the first step of any hiring process.
I’ve always been called in to do personally.
Must be another brainiac sop thought up by some millennial.
Mar 29, 2015
229 posts
74 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Very common, especially if it's for something not local. Some of the interviews I've had also use webcams so there is still that face to face feeling.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2008
1057 posts
403 upvotes
Markham
ive been through an entire interview process, receiving the offer, without ever meeting anyone in the company in person...its normal nowadays, especially in alpha+/++ cities (not Toronto).
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
AchtungB4by wrote: Phone interview...? Is this something new...? Normally I’ve only ever done interviews in person but they said it would be about 20-30 mins in length. Just never heard of doing it on the phone.
No it's not new - they're going to ask you question on the phone. It's pretty standard these days... I mean people do FaceTime / Skype Interviews too.
AchtungB4by wrote: I’ve always been called in to do personally.
Must be another brainiac sop thought up by some millennial.
Wow, a bit sheltered when it comes to the job market huh? Telephone interviews have probably existed as long as the phone has been around!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
unowned wrote: ive been through an entire interview process, receiving the offer, without ever meeting anyone in the company in person...its normal nowadays, especially in alpha+/++ cities (not Toronto).
I don't know what you mean by alpha+/++ cities?
Banned
Feb 1, 2018
13 posts
3 upvotes
It's very common nowadays. I applied for four positions and in which three of them asked for a phone interview. And one company called meeting in person.
Jul 21, 2014
846 posts
142 upvotes
Canada
I just never heard of it but maybe I just have the amazing personality and hot looks that ppl just wanna see in person 🤪
Interview went well & sounds like I can expect a second interview in person with the head honchos early next week. Giddy-UP! 🤩
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5182 posts
3058 upvotes
OP, must be applying to Manulife. I did a phone interview and got the job, but declined it in the end. I too was surprised that they did not do in person interviews. This was a couple years ago.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
I've had phone interviews as a first screening asking a few general questions. And if I pass that I would then be invited for an in-person interview.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Oct 5, 2012
145 posts
48 upvotes
BC
Phone interviews are the best. Online interview via video where you video tape your response to their questions are the absolute worse. Did I mention you have no way to preview the questions and only have 3 redo attempts before it's just locked in and you're just f%$#@'d with whatever awful take you did on the third time?

Yeah. lol
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I have had to answer a question or two preceding or following an interview, but never had a phone call interview until just a few years ago.
A headhunting company from Vancouver called me up and we talked for almost an hour. I ended up turning down the job, but it was a tough decision. Pay was good but the city was a sh!thole.

Just prior to that I had an interview in a Tim Hortons, not for a TH. I took that job.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Jul 21, 2014
846 posts
142 upvotes
Canada
MyNameWasTaken wrote: OP, must be applying to Manulife. I did a phone interview and got the job, but declined it in the end. I too was surprised that they did not do in person interviews. This was a couple years ago.
TD
Aug 2, 2012
692 posts
264 upvotes
AchtungB4by wrote: TD
TD? Well, that confirms one of my suspicions. Yes, phone interviews are VERY common now, and most of the time it's an initial screening (like your first interview). To have a second interview over the phone suggests that it's a customer service job which involves a lot of telephone work, eg in a call centre. The manager wants to hear how you come across on the phone (strip away body language and just observe oral communication and vocal tone in addition to the actual answers). Banks have been doing this for a long time.
Aug 22, 2009
589 posts
151 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Phone interviews are pretty common as "first round" -- the employer can see how serious you are before taking the time to invite you for an in-person interview.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
I prefer a phone call for a first round interview since it saves time for both party. I also like Skype interviews.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2017
1055 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto
TD, yea I got hired with TD’s investment department 2 years ago just through phone interview, never had a in person interview. First phone interview was with HR, took half an hour, then second interview was with the hiring manager which took 1 hour. Then HR called back with an offer.

All the banks go through phone interviews as the complete hiring process nowadays, depending on the position of course. Most of the banks call centre jobs, pretty much all phone interviews.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2341 posts
1489 upvotes
Where have you been OP? This is not new at all.

Like others have said, phone interviews are usually done in the early stages of the process however I’ve had the full interview process for positions completed over the phone.

This is nothing new and definitely not something thought up by ‘millennials’.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2321 posts
1106 upvotes
Alberta
AchtungB4by wrote: I recently applied for a job at a reputable insurance company then followed up by contacting who my boss would be if I got the job, basically saying I would be a good fit for them, etc.
She contacted me and we spoke on the phone for approx 5 mins & said she wanted me to meet with their HR dept. Their HR dept contacted me the next day & wants to have a phone interview with me on Monday.
Phone interview...? Is this something new...? Normally I’ve only ever done interviews in person but they said it would be about 20-30 mins in length. Just never heard of doing it on the phone.
Phone interview is very common if in another city. If in the same city a short phone interview is convenient for all parties, it’s just an initial screening and if no red flags are present they will then offer you an in person interview.