Careers

Is it ever okay to wear jeans to an interview?

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2006 9:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 18, 2005
429 posts
Vancouver, BC

Is it ever okay to wear jeans to an interview?

i'm just going in for a QA (tester) position at EA, where it's pretty much a street casual dress place.

i'm not talking about ripped up constructions jeans or anything. I'm planning on just wearing my clean navy Banana Republic jeans with a clean t-shirt and nice jacket.

objections?
40 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6533 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
Think of it this way. You're the manager, you can only hire 1 person no matter what, you have 2 applicants that are absolutely perfect, but you can only pick 1. Do you pick the person that was wearing jeans or the one that wore a shirt and tie?

You can never go wrong with a shirt and tie, I'm not saying that what you suggest would not be nice looking, but you definitly want to appear as best as you can look.
Sep 24, 2005
233 posts
3 upvotes
Stick with dress pants to be on the safe side but if you see those future co-workers wearing casual clothes then you'll know its all casual after that....
when i went to this interview for AC which I thought was a big event...I saw numerous people wearing party clothes, flip flops, jeans even...it was unbelievable! !!! they sure left an impression.
Jan 13, 2006
682 posts
5 upvotes
never wear jeans to an interview. they think that you are not serious enough.

If this is a full time job, wear dress pants and a dress shirt without tie to the interiew.
Even though you know the dress code already, its not good to wear jeans. lol

Appearance does matter for an interview!!
Jan 24, 2004
400 posts
Ottawa, Ontario
You're there to make a good impression. Showing up in jeans gives the interviewer the impression that you aren't serious about this position.

They'll tell you after what the appropriate dress code is even though you already know.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
7471 posts
40 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It's always better to overdress for an interview.

The most casual you would want to go is khakis, and even that might be pushing it.
Mar 27, 2005
604 posts
1 upvote
401, On
No way, stick with dress pants and a nice shirt.

I was at a Costco interview recently and a TON of people were in shorts, t-shirts, and what not. It boggled the mind.

I was one of the few who was dressed in the appropriate attire...

And I got the job. So when in doubt, bust em out.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34352 posts
1478 upvotes
Toronto
depends.. are you applying to a fashion place? if you show up dressed really stylishly you might get in =)
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Nov 21, 2003
848 posts
2 upvotes
Even if was "okay," why aim for the lowest standard?
Just wear a suit.
Apr 10, 2006
281 posts
You're better off wearing a nice shirt w tie, and dress pants. You have one chance to make a good first impression, there may not be a second.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1181 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
There are exceptions to the rule. In the dotcom haydays, companies go out of their way trying to be "casual" in their work environment and do not want "suits". Read the FAQ section of the Career section of the company's website; it might outline the attire for the interview, if it specifically said that you come in in jeans, then by all means do it. However, if nothing is mentioned, dress shirt and pants with a decent tie are your essential interview attire.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2003
1989 posts
21 upvotes
Unless you're a tall, leggy female model going for a fashion job interview, no its not ok to wear jeans to an interview. Better to overshoot than undershoot, if you want that job.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
22721 posts
873 upvotes
Markham, ON
this question is silly...it's never ok to wear jeans for an interview for a white collar position

it's hard enough just to get an interview, why blow it contemplating wearing jeans or not.
× < >