Off Topic

Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? - Next: Saturday, July 28, 2018 near Moncton, NB

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2018 5:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1623 posts
106 upvotes
Scarborough

Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? - Next: Saturday, July 28, 2018 near Moncton, NB

So this is a continuation of my previous three "ever wanted to shoot guns legally" threads, which apparently have been quite popular. I'll consolidate all future events into this one thread so that it'll serve as a good reference for people wanting to keep tabs on upcoming events. All events will be sorted by chronological order to make things easy to find.

As in previous threads, I'll reiterate that I have no connection to the organizations mentioned below and that I'm not benefiting financially (or otherwise) by promoting these events. I'm simply posting these events to create public awareness of the shooting sports and to allow people to experience the use of firearms in a safe and legal manner.

Last updated: 2018-07-26

UPCOMING EVENTS:

Saturday, July 28, 2018 @ Cap Pele Gun Range near Moncton, NB
Glock Range Day

Who: Hosted by Invictus Specialities Inc. at Cap Pele Gun Range
What: Try your hand at shooting various Glock handguns
Where: 350 Chemin Butte à Napoléon, Cap Pele, NB (click HERE for map)
When: Saturday, July 28, 2018 from 10am to 3pm (rain date is July 29, in case of inclement weather)
Why: To provide the public an opportunity to legally try firearms

Cost: $20, includes 5 tickets good for a total of 25 rounds (spectators are free). Extra tickets are $15 for 5 tickets.

NOTE: Shooters must be 19 or older. Minors can spectate but must be accompanied by an adult.

List of guns available:

- Glock 19 Threaded Barrel
- Glock 19 Gen4 Maple Leaf
- Glock 17
- Glock 17 Gen4
- Glock 17 Gen5
- Glock 21 Gen4
- Glock 22
- Glock 34 Gen4 Modular Optic System

All Glocks purchased at the range day will qualify for free delivery, and customers will get their choice of some free swag from Glock and Invictus Specialities. So the earlier you purchase, the better your choice will be from all the great stuff we have to give away: range bags, range safety kits, travel mugs, caps, coins, patches, and much, much more.

In addition to being able to shoot and purchase GLOCK handguns, the Beau Bassin Range Riders will be putting on a Cowboy Action Shooting demonstration, and Invictus Specialities Inc. will have a display of some of their other products, including custom AR15 carbines, accessories and equipment from all the top manufacturers; as well as cowboy action gear from Taylors and Triple K, with some items also available for sale.

Shediac Lions Club will be providing a cash BBQ, ensuring that there is plenty of food and drink available.

Check out their Facebook event page for more details.

-----

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Do I need a firearms license to shoot?
A: No, a firearms license is not required! You will be supervised by a licensed range officer (as required by law) to ensure the firearms are handled safely and responsibly.

Q: How old do I have to be to shoot? At least 18?
A: Legally speaking there is no minimum age required to be able to use firearms. Practically speaking, a shooter would need to have the maturity and motor skills required to handle a gun safely. My younger brother had no trouble handling the recoil of a .45 calibre handgun when he was ten years old. Just think of it this way: if you wouldn't trust your kid with a knife, don't put a gun in his hands. :) Note that minors may need to have a waiver signed by a parent or guardian.

Q: I am a gun owner or I know a friend who owns guns. Can I bring my own guns and ammo?
A: No! Organizers need to be able to control the types of guns and ammunition used during public events to ensure safety, and that means that only the guns and ammo provided are allowed.

Q: I'd like to try shooting but I don't like the long lineups of public events. What are my options?
A: There are a couple ways you can go shooting without the lineups. The easiest and cheapest is to know a gun owner who's willing to take you to a range as a guest. Alternatively, some for-profit businesses (such as Target Sports Canada) offer range orientation sessions that allow you to shoot your choice of guns for a price, typically a session fee plus the cost of ammo. This is the most expensive way to go about it, but you won't have to wait and chances are the selection of guns will be greater than what the typical gun owner will have access to.

Q: Aren't guns dangerous? What if I get shot?
A: Yes, the use of firearms is inherently dangerous. Then again, driving a car is also inherently dangerous. Just like when driving, the risk of injury or death when shooting a gun is significantly mitigated when the proper precautions are taken. As long as you listen to your range officer and pay attention to what you are doing when you are in control of a firearm, the shooting sports are no more dangerous than many other sports. Remember, the statistics show that you are far more likely to be injured or killed on your way to the range than you are at the range.
Last edited by tritium4ever on Jul 26th, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $8/month plan
89 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1623 posts
106 upvotes
Scarborough
PAST EVENTS:

Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ Target Sports Canada (just north of Toronto)
Glock Day

Who: Target Sports Canada
What: Try your hand at shooting various Glock handguns
Where: 14 Stalwart Industrial Drive, Gormley, ON (about 20 mins north of Toronto) (click HERE for map)
When: Sunday, June 17, 2018 from 10am to 4pm
Why: To provide the public an opportunity to legally try firearms, in support of the Canadian Shooting Sports Association

Cost: $40 at the door, or $35 advance tickets (call 905-888-8828 for advance tickets). Ticket includes:

- use of 3 Glock handguns
- BBQ lunch
- raffle ticket for door prizes (grand prize is a Glock pistol!)

UPDATE: Found out the list of guns available, as well as prices for additional ammo:

- Glock 17 Gen 5 handgun ($10/10 rounds)
- Glock 19 Gen 4 Canadian Edition handgun ($10/10 rounds)
- Derya MK12 shotgun ($10/5 rounds)
- BCL 102 rifle ($15/5 rounds)

Target Sports is listing prices for AR-15 ammo ($10/5 rounds) and .50 BMG ($25/1 round), but there's no indication of exactly what guns they'll be.

Check out their Facebook event page for more details.

---

Saturday, August 12, 2017 @ East Elgin Sportsmen's Association near London, ON
A Day at the Range Public Shoot

Saturday, June 24 and Sunday, June 25, 2017 @ Wolverine Supplies in Virden, MB (~75km west of Brandon)
Wolverine Days 2017

Saturday, July 16, 2016 @ Silverdale Gun Club (near St. Catherines, ON)
Shoot For a Cause (benefiting Make-a-Wish Foundation)

Sunday, June 26, 2016 @ Target Sports Canada (GTA)
Glock and NEA Day

Saturday, June 7 & Sunday, June 8, 2014 @ EESA (near London, ON)
EESA's annual Open House

Sunday, June 1, 2014 @ Target Sports Canada (GTA)
Glock Day

Saturday, June 8 & Sunday, June 9, 2013 @ EESA (near London, ON)
EESA's 14th annual Open House

Saturday, June 23, 2012 @ Claybird Gun Club (about 50km from London, ON)
Claybird Gun Club Open House

Saturday, June 9 & Sunday, June 10, 2012 @ EESA (near London, ON)
EESA's 12th annual Open House

Sunday, May 6, 2012 @ Target Sports Canada (GTA)
Glock Day

Sunday, October 2, 2011 @ The Shooting Edge (Calgary)
Glock and NEA Day

Sunday, September 18, 2011 @ Target Sports Canada (GTA)
Smith & Wesson Day

June 11-12, 2011 @ EESA (London, ON)
EESA's 11th annual Open House

Sunday, May 15, 2011 @ Target Sports Canada (GTA)
Glock Day

Sunday, April 10, 2011 @ Target Sports Canada (GTA)
Sig Sauer Day

Sunday, October 17, 2010 @ Target Sports Canada (GTA)
Glock Day

Sunday, September 26, 2010 @ Target Sports Centre (GTA)
Smith & Wesson Day

June 12-13, 2010 @ EESA (London, ON)
EESA's 10th annual Open House

Sunday, May 16, 2010 @ Target Sports Centre (GTA)
Don't be an ***** ! Come shoot some brass!

Sunday, October 18, 2009 @ Target Sports Centre (GTA)
Glock Day

Sunday, September 20, 2009 @ Target Sports Centre (GTA)
Smith & Wesson Day in support of the Military Families Fund

June 13-14, 2009 @ EESA (London, ON)
EESA's 9th annual Open House

May 9, 2009 @ Target Sports Centre (GTA)
Stoeger Day in support of the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation

April 18, 2009 @ Target Sports Centre (GTA)
Sig Sauer & Breast Cancer Awareness Day
Last edited by tritium4ever on Jul 26th, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $8/month plan
Oct 5, 2004
401 posts
11 upvotes
Anyone going to this on Saturday?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
172 upvotes
This sounds interesting. I'm thinking of going this weekend.

Just a few questions.

Can you elaborate on the $1 ammunition tickets? How much does one ticket get you? How many would you need to buy if you want to shoot for an hour let's say? Can you give some estimates? Will I end up spending more on the ammunition than on the $10 entry fee?

How busy are these events? Should we get there early? Are there long line-ups? Are certain firearms more popular and thus receive more interest while others are left alone? Do they have the guns displayed and people form separate lines for whatever they want to try?

How long do you get to use each firearm? Is there a time limit?

What exactly are we shooting at at these events? Is it only the typical sheet of paper with an outline of a torso?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8725 posts
2088 upvotes
London
umop wrote:
Jun 7th, 2012 1:29 am
This sounds interesting. I'm thinking of going this weekend.

Just a few questions.

Can you elaborate on the $1 ammunition tickets? How much does one ticket get you? How many would you need to buy if you want to shoot for an hour let's say? Can you give some estimates? Will I end up spending more on the ammunition than on the $10 entry fee?

How busy are these events? Should we get there early? Are there long line-ups? Are certain firearms more popular and thus receive more interest while others are left alone? Do they have the guns displayed and people form separate lines for whatever they want to try?

How long do you get to use each firearm? Is there a time limit?

What exactly are we shooting at at these events? Is it only the typical sheet of paper with an outline of a torso?

Many of these questions were addressed the thread that was archived.

The ammo tickets buy you x rounds for x tickets. For example, you got something like a dozen shots of a .22 for 1 ticket. To shoot the 50 cal once, it was 15 tickets, IIRC. There's no time limit. High caliber guns were more popular, IMHO. The guns available were grouped together in the various ranges available. The .22s were in one range (I think they had some balloons down range), the other rifles in another, and the handguns in the indoor range with paper targets. Some are more popular than others, but most are fairly busy. The line for handguns seemed the longest, but it was also strictly controlled and slower moving.

Yes, it's busy, and towards the end of the day the line-ups are long. Get there early. You won't shoot for an hour. You may get 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there, that sort of thing. You really can't monopolize a weapon for a long period of time; the volunteers only let you shoot a clip each time you get the front of the line.

You'll spend more on ammo than admission. :twisted:
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40507 posts
4296 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Ottomaddox wrote:
Jun 8th, 2012 12:21 am
Many of these questions were addressed the thread that was archived.

The ammo tickets buy you x rounds for x tickets. For example, you got something like a dozen shots of a .22 for 1 ticket. To shoot the 50 cal once, it was 15 tickets, IIRC. There's no time limit. High caliber guns were more popular, IMHO. The guns available were grouped together in the various ranges available. The .22s were in one range (I think they had some balloons down range), the other rifles in another, and the handguns in the indoor range with paper targets. Some are more popular than others, but most are fairly busy. The line for handguns seemed the longest, but it was also strictly controlled and slower moving.

Yes, it's busy, and towards the end of the day the line-ups are long. Get there early. You won't shoot for an hour. You may get 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there, that sort of thing. You really can't monopolize a w****n for a long period of time; the volunteers only let you shoot a clip each time you get the front of the line.

You'll spend more on ammo than admission. :twisted:

THey are guns or firearms. Pistols or Rifles or long guns. Not the W---- Word! Because no one at a gun range uses them against people.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4727 posts
750 upvotes
EESA is a cool place, run by very cool group of people. Worth the drive there if you ask me.

Don't quote me but usually someone brings a .50 cal there for the open house, it's your only chance to shoot one.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8725 posts
2088 upvotes
London
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jun 8th, 2012 8:36 am
THey are guns or firearms. Pistols or Rifles or long guns. Not the W---- Word! Because no one at a gun range uses them against people.
Whatever, man.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8725 posts
2088 upvotes
London
mebiuspower wrote:
Jun 8th, 2012 8:51 am
EESA is a cool place, run by very cool group of people. Worth the drive there if you ask me.

Don't quote me but usually someone brings a .50 cal there for the open house, it's your only chance to shoot one.
+1 The volunteers are extremely nice, and patient people. And yeah, you'll hear the 50 cal waaaaaaay down the road before you see the EESA sign..
Oct 5, 2004
401 posts
11 upvotes
Will this event be cancelled if it rains tomorrow? Chances of thunderstorms all day in Alymer, ON... Tried calling the club earlier today but no answer.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4000 posts
219 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Damn it, wish i was near by
Apr 22, 2009
647 posts
51 upvotes
Brantford
Hope the rain holds off. Also hope the ammunition isn't crazy expensive hopeing to try a few guns out fOr like 50 bucks total
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
Man, I've been wanting to get my PAL/rPAL for the longest time now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)