None
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
1978 posts
102 upvotes
North York

Everest College ???

Hello everyone,

I have a family member who wants to do the"Travel & Tourism" program. She wants to go to Everest College, but I feel that the "school" is a scam. First, the school said it was fine that she didn't want to do the assessment test and they accepted it her. Her co-worker referred her and got $250 from the referral. :facepalm:

I don't have a good feeling about this school and it doesn't help that there are many complaints about them from online sources. Does anybody here have anything good to say about this school?

I recommend her to go to an accredited school like Humber, Seneca, or George Brown. But she is still making up her mind.

EDIT: Does anybody have recommendations for a good place to study travel & tourism?
81 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1700 posts
73 upvotes
Barrie
Stay far away from everest, there are tons of threads on how crappy this "school" is.

My experience: I enrolled with them a few years back when I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I chose their accounting program. When they advertise small class sizes, they aren't kidding. I was the only person in my "class" and the only person to start that day. When I got there, they put me in a room with about 50 other people (who were all doing different things independantly), gave me a book, a piece of paper, and told me to go on the computer and answer the questions. The questions were algebra, similar to what I did in grade 10.

$22,000 to teach myself? No thanks Everest.

Their diplomas or whatever aren't worth the paper they are written on

ETA: Oh sorry, just read you were looking for positive comments lol I can't provide that, but seriously any college like Humber, George Brown or Sheridan is better than some crap college in a mall basement. Your feelings are totally right
Jan 4, 2009
34 posts
1 upvote
Canada
i have no idea about the education at Everest, but every time I walk past Everest, it feels like I was walking through a highschool. If I can judge their quality of education by the quality of the people that go there, I'd say its crap. Better spend money elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1645 posts
207 upvotes
It is a huge scam. Just look up "everest college reviews" and you will see why.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
12904 posts
1106 upvotes
Stay far, far away from these so-called 'Colleges' with their cracker jack box degrees, and revolving door admission policies. Everest is the worst of them all. Have you seen their ad campaigns that air at 1:00pm during Judge Judy? They're aimed at welfare moms, and high school dropouts who are ignorant about their options. They also guilted the Canadian government into giving them student loan eligibility because they couldn't compete in the market otherwise. These schools are leeching our tax dollars, and they've been sued for several reasons, including misrepresentation and fraud. Tell your friend to do even the tiniest bit of online research, and the answer will jump out at her. You can also look up 'Corinthian Colleges' which is the company's parent name.

Check this out..
The suit stated that Corinthian's "own records show that a substantial percentage of students do not complete the programs and, of those who complete the program, a large majority do not successfully obtain employment within six months after completing the course."[5] In late July, Corinthian Colleges agreed to pay $6.5 million to settle a lawsuit alleging that the chain engaged in unlawful business practices by exaggerating its record of placing students in well-paying jobs; the amount included $5.8 million in restitution to students as well as $500,000 in civil damages and $200,000 in court costs.
source

Meanwhile, we have some of the best public institutions in the world, right here in Canada. They are accredited and recognized. Also, consider $5,000yr tuition charged by Sheriden or Humber, compared to whatever Everest is charging. This is a no-brainer.

TL;DR: Run, don't walk away from Everest.
Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Dec 9, 2010
182 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I thought Everest College was a dentistry college? They have a dentistry school in the 777 Bay st. building. Any school that gives referral kickbacks are scams! That makes them look like they're desperate for business.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
1978 posts
102 upvotes
North York
Thanks for the input everyone.

It makes me sick to my stomach that these scams can continue to run.

They need more media attention from the likes of CBC and get shut down.
Sep 10, 2007
287 posts
6 upvotes
Yea, I was really amazed that Canada had these mass scale scams operating in broad daylight and that they were completely legal. I know so many people getting ripped off by those "bartending,all purpose colleges & security guard colleges" (that provide nothing) when they first came to Canada (there was a story in the star about that dude with his own scooby doo nurse college who gave out degrees to people which would let them work in the actual field ffs........ just like in any developing & shady country.

To the OP definitively do not let your friend go to that college, it will be a waste of time and money, and your friend will feel like an idiot later on once she realizes what happened to her.
I just accidentally a coca cola bottle, is this bad?
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2008
2277 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, OP, they're legit. A degree from Everest will secure that dream job as a masseuse, just give them $40,000 and wait 3 months.
Mar 31, 2008
10 posts
1 upvote
As a CURRENT student of Evererst, specifically within the GTA, I will say this... it is NOT all it's advertised to be. I am working my butt off and currently holding a 96% and I honestly can't stand the school... but I'm making the best of it and learning as much as I can. I've had 5 different instructors in the last 4 months, one of which was for the longest stretch and of course the most important and technical part of the learning, who barely spoke English in a completely 100% English speaking setting and 100% English speaking classroom, and also no longer working in the field, so unable to give any updated or current information as to the current workplace settings, procedures, equipment etc... and had a chip on her shoulder every time you asked a question, she took it, and responded to it as if you were not merely asking a question for clarification, but that you were questioning her and her competence. Needless to say, that alone has made it much harder. I have now been sitting at home for the last week waiting to hear where they are sending us, and when, to our practicum!
They knew exactly when we were back from Xmas holidays and exactly when we were to be starting our practicum, yet on our last day before holidays, they STILL had no answer for us. We were called 2 days before Xmas to tell us where we were all supposed to go upon our return, so we went. We showed up at the correct facility, on the correct day, at the correct time, and the facility had NO IDEA what we were doing there as they had NO idea we were even coming!!! After numerous calls to the campus and to the head office of Corinthian Colleges to complain and to get answers, none of us have any. This will now hold up our hours that we need to graduate, which means that we will not be graduating on time, we will not be able to take the final exam in order to get our diplomas, we will have to wait for that to be rescheduled and it's only scheduled every few months and they do a mass exam for many graduates all at once (not just our class), which in turn then means that none of us will be able to WORK! We are not allowed to work in our field without that exam passed and our diplomas... so now we're all looking at each other saying "now what?!"

The faculty is completely incompetent, there is ZERO communication between departments, absolutely NO respect for people as individuals, they are unorganized and all very superficial. The finance department is without a doubt one of the worst. They have no idea what they are doing, have no answers for you when you ask questions and are VERY vague when answering questions about finances, costs, student loans, when you get them, how you get them, procedures etc... UNLESS you are paying them in monthly payments or in 2 parts or in full, of course. Then they are very quick with the answers of how much you owe, when it's due, and how they are to be paid.

If you have a student loan... all I can say is this: CHECK WITH YOUR OSAP AND NOT THE SCHOOL'S FINANCIAL DEPARTMENT FOR ALL YOUR ANSWERS! DO NOT, I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, DO NOT RELY ON THEM TO ANSWER ANYTHING ABOUT STUDENT LOANS DIRECTLY OR HONESTLY.

Please save yourself the time and agony ... do a LOT of research, and ask a LOT of questions before you decide to take the fast route with Everest. If it works best for your needs and your situation, then, by all means, go with it. But make sure you ask ask ask ask ask before you sign or commit to ANYTHING.

If I had the time and ability to do an 18 month course at one for the other colleges mentioned, I would have, but Everest's scheduling fit my needs and my situation at the time, and the way the courses are laid out is fantastic, but other than that, if you were to ask me if I would recommend Everest College? No. I definitely would NOT.
Jan 13, 2011
456 posts
8 upvotes
I know 2 people who went to Everest one is working at a good life fitness right now and going to humber at the same time he said it was a waste on 10k and 1 year and the second person is currently still attending for physio so I don't know what to say. If he lands a job with the diploma i'll change my opinion on it. I belive his program was also 10k but he got a 27k loan from osap
Jan 13, 2012
155 posts
10 upvotes
Everest, Toronto film school, academy of learning...all scams. I went to one of these, paid over 16 grand for a diploma. I got a great job (no thanks to the crappy school) and I was supose to transfer to California. Bottom line American immigration does not even recognize The diplomas from these schools, and it cost me my job because I could not get a work visa because of my "lack" of education.

STAY AWAY!
× < >