Automotive

Everything about EVs!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:49 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
joey003 wrote: Meant to ask, how do you like the RAV4 Hybrid? I've always liked the RAV4, and was thinking about it as an option for my wife. Do you do a lot of driving with it?
My wife drives it a lot more. Steering is not as tight as a Honda but it seems to handle slight bends decently well on the highway at 110 km/h. Acceleration is decent when I step on the gas pedal even if in eco mode.

From RAV4 WORLD, seems there is no starter because the hybrid battery turns the gasoline engine on. Auto shut off is designed well because fuel doesn't get injected until 1000 rpm ( likely I explained it wrong) so Toyota made it heavy duty. Hvac is of the electric type. Rdgrimes on that forum has been responding to my queries.

Major complaint is seemingly jarring ride at the back when traveling over deep depressions like potholes or sewer covers. Dashboard layout isn't neatly done with center vents circular while side vents are rectangular or vice versa probably to make the NX look more premium.

If you don't care about parking sonars, bird's-eye view and a few minor features, the base hybrid with some additional package is $36k something and maybe there is a $1500 incentive like for the Corolla.

All new model likely won't come out until 2019 since Toyota already announced the 2018 RAV4 adventure
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2225 posts
765 upvotes
Halton
Question about EVSE install rebate:
If the installation of charging station is performed by a licensed electrician (with receipt, etc.), is an ESA inspection required in order to claim the rebate?
If the ESA inspection is required, do I need to get the permit before installation or can it be done after?

Thanks
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
neptune wrote: Question about EVSE install rebate:
If the installation of charging station is performed by a licensed electrician (with receipt, etc.), is an ESA inspection required in order to claim the rebate?
If the ESA inspection is required, do I need to get the permit before installation or can it be done after?

Thanks
yes
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
joey003 wrote: Incredible. There's an L3 planned at a Tim Horton's a few minutes away from me and I've been anxiously waiting as I've never had a chance to try DCFC charging. But as of yesterday when I drove through, zero signs of any construction or preparation for it.
don't expect it to be cheap once it is up
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2225 posts
765 upvotes
Halton
divx wrote: yes
Yes to which question?
Yes, an inspection is required even if the install is performed by a licensed electrician?
Yes, a permit is needed before the work begins?

Thanks
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
neptune wrote: Yes to which question?
Yes, an inspection is required even if the install is performed by a licensed electrician?

Thanks
both
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1510 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto
joey003 wrote:
Incredible. There's an L3 planned at a Tim Horton's a few minutes away from me and I've been anxiously waiting as I've never had a chance to try DCFC charging. But as of yesterday when I drove through, zero signs of any construction or preparation for it.
Which provider? KSI's been slow but there are quite a few popping up now. I used the new DCFCs at Ikea just last week. I'm more annoyed that dealerships equipped with them still have them blocked off/ICE'd or randomly disabled (looking at you, Autohaus).
neptune wrote: Question about EVSE install rebate:
Yes. Any electrical work that requires a permit (e.g. running new wiring to a charger) requires an inspection.

As per https://www.esasafe.com/consumers/permi ... t-a-permit, permits must be taken out before work starts or within 48 hours of work commencing. If you're using a licensed electrical contractor (vs. doing the work yourself), they should be applying for the permit on your behalf, within the required timeframe.
Home automation, NOVO (HiFi) Magazine, Google Trusted Photographer, electric vehicles.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4201 posts
2228 upvotes
Niagara
divx wrote: don't expect it to be cheap once it is up
I believe it. Since it's close to home I really won't have much need to use it.
JPTN wrote: Which provider? KSI's been slow but there are quite a few popping up now. I used the new DCFCs at Ikea just last week. I'm more annoyed that dealerships equipped with them still have them blocked off/ICE'd or randomly disabled (looking at you, Autohaus). Yes. Any electrical work that requires a permit (e.g. running new wiring to a charger) requires an inspection.

As per https://www.esasafe.com/consumers/permi ... t-a-permit, permits must be taken out before work starts or within 48 hours of work commencing. If you're using a licensed electrical contractor (vs. doing the work yourself), they should be applying for the permit on your behalf, within the required timeframe.
No clue the provider, just noticed it listed on the Ontario site where they showed all the L2 and L3 EVSEs that were planned.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
neptune wrote: Yes to which question?

Thanks
Yes, a reputable electrician should be able to arrange it all for you and quote you the price including installation and permit/inspection/certification.

If DIY you would call to get your permit (which covers both permit + certification)
Then you do the work
Then call back to arrange inspection time.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
VW just announced it will start marketing BEVs in 2020.

I always wanted gremlins for pets.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2225 posts
765 upvotes
Halton
aqnd wrote: Yes, a reputable electrician should be able to arrange it all for you and quote you the price including installation and permit/inspection/certification.

If DIY you would call to get your permit (which covers both permit + certification)
Then you do the work
Then call back to arrange inspection time.
Thanks for the explanation. Is permit obtained via town/city or ESA?
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3741 posts
3965 upvotes
Toronto
neptune wrote: Thanks for the explanation. Is permit obtained via town/city or ESA?
The electrician i hired through the esa site got the permit and scheduled the inspection. So talked to the electrician when you hire one.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1510 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto
neptune wrote: Thanks for the explanation. Is permit obtained via town/city or ESA?
... all of this info is on https://www.esasafe.com/consumers/permi ... s/overview.

The 2017 federal budget includes:
$120 million to deploy infrastructure for electric vehicle charging and natural gas and hydrogen refuelling stations, as well as to support technology demonstration projects: $30M per year starting in 2018 through 2022.
Home automation, NOVO (HiFi) Magazine, Google Trusted Photographer, electric vehicles.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
361 upvotes
some1not wrote: The electrician i hired through the esa site got the permit and scheduled the inspection. So talked to the electrician when you hire one.
Could you share the your installation cost? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2225 posts
765 upvotes
Halton
some1not wrote: The electrician i hired through the esa site got the permit and scheduled the inspection. So talked to the electrician when you hire one.
Also interested to know approx how much the install cost. And if you don't mind, please PM me the electrician contact info please?
Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4201 posts
2228 upvotes
Niagara
neptune wrote: Also interested to know approx how much the install cost. And if you don't mind, please PM me the electrician contact info please?
Thanks
If you don't know any electricians yourself in the area, I would use the ESA site to look up several licensed ones and start getting some quotes.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
361 upvotes
joey003 wrote: If you don't know any electricians yourself in the area, I would use the ESA site to look up several licensed ones and start getting some quotes.
But it would be nice to know what other people are paying. Some people are saying $500 but I've see websites saying$1000+ as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4201 posts
2228 upvotes
Niagara
LoveRFD wrote: But it would be nice to know what other people are paying. Some people are saying $500 but I've see websites saying$1000+ as well.
I agree. If I had mine installed I would share the info, but I did the install myself. From what I've seen it could be roughly $300 to upwards of $700.

There will be some variables as well to the cost - length of the run, placement, whether a NEMA outlet will be used or if it will be hardwired. I can't recall the length of my run - maybe 30+ feet, but the materials were roughly $100 (breaker, 8 gage wire, some connectors) and I hard wired it. The wire will be the bulk of the material expense.

Still - I would get some quotes and if you're unsure share them on here to get some feedback.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3741 posts
3965 upvotes
Toronto
LoveRFD wrote: Could you share the your installation cost? Thanks.
I believe I paid ~$300 + taxes for my install and inspection I think, I'll have to look it up when I get home. I had an unfinished basement which made it easy for him to run the wire. I went through the esasafe web site and found several electricians near me.

I bought all the parts myself from a hardware store and had a nema 14-50 outlet installed. The wire itself will cost you the most depending how far you need to run. They may charge you more for a hard wire charger install or if you are buying parts from the electrician.
Last edited by some1not on Mar 23rd, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (4 members and 3 guests)

kiasu, xrvr, Evil Baby, nioero