Automotive

Everything about EVs!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 10:15 am
May 25, 2005
544 posts
103 upvotes
xawaisx wrote: Were you able to place the order? I placed a reservation and the dealer contacted me saying they are not taking orders yet.
I was asked what trim and color I wanted and for a security deposit which I paid. So as far I know order was placed.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29069 posts
994 upvotes
Fernando Po
flyboy320 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 4:54 pm
I assume MSRP plus dealer fees?
Not legal. Advertised price plus tax is all they're allowed to charge in Ontario.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
1969 posts
938 upvotes
Oakville, ON
hagbard wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 7:58 am
Not legal. Advertised price plus tax is all they're allowed to charge in Ontario.
This is only applicable to Dealer advertised prices. It's not applicable to Manufacturer advertised prices. OMVIC only governs dealers.

So, in the absence of a specific advertisement from a dealer what flyboy320 said is true. Expect to pay Nissan manufactured price plus dealer fees.
Jan 16, 2007
621 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Azer wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 12:08 am
I was asked what trim and color I wanted and for a security deposit which I paid. So as far I know order was placed.
Is the security deposit refundable if, for any reason, you change you mind and not buy?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
5269 posts
383 upvotes
When is the expected delivery date for the Leaf?
May 25, 2005
544 posts
103 upvotes
NubNub wrote: Is the security deposit refundable if, for any reason, you change you mind and not buy?
Fully refundable. Orders haven't officially opened with Nissan but I am first on the list at my dealership. Only date given so far is from Nissan's website which is early 2018.
Sep 8, 2014
503 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto, ON
alanbrenton wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 1:30 pm
Why would you trade them in on their fifth years? Why not just lease then?
EV's are changing the game so rapidly that I no longer expect to own and hold >4 years.
Lease makes no sense for someone like me that has access to low interest credit, and who likes to modify cars (wheels, tires, interior stuff).
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40979 posts
9901 upvotes
SmartElectric wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 5:27 pm
EV's are changing the game so rapidly that I no longer expect to own and hold >4 years.
Lease makes no sense for someone like me that has access to low interest credit, and who likes to modify cars (wheels, tires, interior stuff).
True. With a lease, you are paying interest on the whole amount anyway and just deferring payment of taxes. So leasing then buying out right just adds to administration on your part? Sounds like there is more protection in a lease if the residuals were overestimated like in a Leaf with badly degraded battery capacity.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7472 posts
2422 upvotes
ON
joey003 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 9:49 pm
I dunno, I think not. I’ve stretched near 300km out of my 30kWh battery. Not really seeing much different in numbers from the Ioniq.

Edit: found mentions of it being rated as most efficient: https://electrek.co/2016/11/21/hyundai- ... c-car-epa/

It’s quite close with the i3. I can routinely hit those numbers mentioned for the Ioniq (highway, city and combined). Curious how the Ioniq eeks out a bit more. Perhaps less weight?
I would imagine it's a combination of many factors, weight, aero, efficiency of electronics, and (probably most importantly) motor sized and geared for efficiency vs performance. Less powerful motor accelerates more slowly, but sits in a more efficient spot for cruising. Large motor is quick to accel but sits in a less efficient spot for most cruising.
Sep 8, 2014
503 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto, ON
alanbrenton wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 5:32 pm
Sounds like there is more protection in a lease if the residuals were overestimated like in a Leaf with badly degraded battery capacity.
Protection is just another way of someone charging you for "risk".

Example : Around 100 people got amazing $100/mo lease deals on remaining Smart ED inventory 3 years ago, but they had to hand their cars back on an exact schedule, and had no control over their trade-in date, reducing flexibility, and possibly constraining what next car they could get given the highly restricted availability of EV's here. Leases required yearly $200+ scheduled maintenance. I did a single $300.

Adding tax to the $100 and including maintenance puts the lowest price EV lease deal ever at $130/month.
My 4 year all-inclusive cost is $180/month from purchase to trade-in.
I paid a little bit more than the best EV lease I've ever seen.

That was my "risk".
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9031 posts
585 upvotes
Mississauga
Redscott wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 8:22 pm
After 7 years of selling over 250,000 leafs you would think Nissan would of wanted to change the frame design to accommodate more battery by going wider and longer. Looks like the exact same frame and dimensions.
Unless the will have a new magic denser battery chemistry in 2018 the 60 kwh version is going to take up what is already precious interior space.
This is what most Leaf owners are saying, that Nissan had 7-10 years to improve the platform and ended up making something that isn't exactly all new but more of a mid model refresh. And I think it has the same co-drag efficiency as the first gen model.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7472 posts
2422 upvotes
ON
They could have certainly done much better with all the time they took.
But at the end of the day, the leaf project was only intended to be the cheapest they could make it to meet their targets.

They don't have the good and cheap batteries that others like GM have, so they have to cheap out everywhere else to maintain the price point until their battery price comes down.

At least they listened and made it something that's not horrendously ugly. That in itself is a huge improvement and will help sales.
The top three items turning people off of leaf to date have been looks, small battery capacity/low range, and lack of battery thermal control leading to poor longevity/accelerated capacity loss.
They've at least addressed 1.5 of those.
Jul 20, 2015
4 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Was wondering if anyone knows where I could buy a current generation Nissan Leaf? I've contacted dealers in and around Toronto, the ones that reply are sold out. Would really like to get a good deal on one!