• Nov 22nd, 2017 10:15 am
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
1009 posts
116 upvotes
Milton
fantom01 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 2:00 am
Was wondering if anyone knows where I could buy a current generation Nissan Leaf? I've contacted dealers in and around Toronto, the ones that reply are sold out. Would really like to get a good deal on one!
You may have to search outside of the city. Maybe some small town dealers can still get it or have some left on their lots.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9031 posts
585 upvotes
Mississauga
aqnd wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 10:40 pm
They could have certainly done much better with all the time they took.
But at the end of the day, the leaf project was only intended to be the cheapest they could make it to meet their targets.

They don't have the good and cheap batteries that others like GM have, so they have to cheap out everywhere else to maintain the price point until their battery price comes down.

At least they listened and made it something that's not horrendously ugly. That in itself is a huge improvement and will help sales.
The top three items turning people off of leaf to date have been looks, small battery capacity/low range, and lack of battery thermal control leading to poor longevity/accelerated capacity loss.
They've at least addressed 1.5 of those.
That alone is a big disadvantage, I don't know how they figured they would not improve and offer that. They had 10 years to implement this and this omission is a big red flag for those who want to purchase one outright. For people who lease it they may not care, but for those who want to purchase it, that is one big omission when the competitors are liquid cooled or at least fan cooled
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
2578 posts
1044 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 9:55 pm
That alone is a big disadvantage, I don't know how they figured they would not improve and offer that. They had 10 years to implement this and this omission is a big red flag for those who want to purchase one outright. For people who lease it they may not care, but for those who want to purchase it, that is one big omission when the competitors are liquid cooled or at least fan cooled
I may repeating myself but again they seem to be using the same exact frame as the 1gen. If this is true then add the extra kWh of batteries and what space would they have left for the liquid cooling in the battery pack without having to redesign the whole battery case and frame.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
2472 posts
312 upvotes
Scarborough
Anyone know how long the incentives are going to last for?? I'd like to get an EV within 5 years hopefully. Im not sure where the government is getting the funds to pay for this subsidy. If it's carbon taxes or gasoline car registration fees then I'm completely fine with that. There is a cost of pollution and it's time ICE cars paid their fair share without getting constant subsidies. But if the government is getting the funds from debt or other sources, then I'm guessing the gravy train will be coming to an end shortly. I just want to know when that is so I can make some plans. Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7472 posts
2422 upvotes
ON
There is a very low, if not 0% chance of the current rebate lasting 5 years.
If any rebate exists in 5, it will be reduced.
At the rate prices have been falling, it won't matter as you'll likely pay less in 5 years without a rebate than you do now with one.
Sep 8, 2014
503 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto, ON
blaznazn22 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 4:27 pm
Im not sure where the government is getting the funds to pay for this subsidy. If it's carbon taxes or gasoline car registration fees then I'm completely fine with that. There is a cost of pollution and it's time ICE cars paid their fair share without getting constant subsidies.
+1

FAQ on EV plan:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicl ... -faq.shtml

Here are the details on the funding sources and plan:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/climate-change-action-plan

This is a really huge deal, people should be proud of this initiative.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
2472 posts
312 upvotes
Scarborough
aqnd wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 4:41 pm
At the rate prices have been falling, it won't matter as you'll likely pay less in 5 years without a rebate than you do now with one.
how about within 3 years?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7472 posts
2422 upvotes
ON
Depends if you think liberal will be re elected in the spring.
If no, then no. If yes, then maybe.
Sep 8, 2014
503 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto, ON
blaznazn22 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 6:51 pm
how about within 3 years?
Fantastic used EV's will be available off lease in 3 years, your choices will be far more than we have today.
While I don't recommend waiting to get into an EV, at least you are considering it, thanks.

As for rebates, they are helpful now, but with battery technology and prices dropping 9% yearly, the compound effect will be to dramatically drop the price of new EV's over time.

Europe and China are legislating electric mobility, for environmental, health and productivity reasons.
In Europe, it's a counter to extremely poorly thought out advantages given to diesel cars over 20 year period, with VW and (many) other emissions cheating diesel car makers gaining huge financial advantage.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
2472 posts
312 upvotes
Scarborough
SmartElectric wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 7:29 pm
Fantastic used EV's will be available off lease in 3 years, your choices will be far more than we have today.
While I don't recommend waiting to get into an EV, at least you are considering it, thanks.

As for rebates, they are helpful now, but with battery technology and prices dropping 9% yearly, the compound effect will be to dramatically drop the price of new EV's over time.

Europe and China are legislating electric mobility, for environmental, health and productivity reasons.
In Europe, it's a counter to extremely poorly thought out advantages given to diesel cars over 20 year period, with VW and (many) other emissions cheating diesel car makers gaining huge financial advantage.
you're probably right about used EV's in 3 years. The incentives are causing a flood of cheap EV's on the used market, plus the fact that people don't trust batteries on EV's will mean the prices will be even lower. Hopefully I can get my hands on a 2017 bolt in 2020 for $12k all in lol.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1353 posts
214 upvotes
Mississauga
blaznazn22 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 8:53 pm
you're probably right about used EV's in 3 years. The incentives are causing a flood of cheap EV's on the used market, plus the fact that people don't trust batteries on EV's will mean the prices will be even lower. Hopefully I can get my hands on a 2017 bolt in 2020 for $12k all in lol.
Your wish may come true to some degree.

China wants to ban gas and diesel cars

China will drive down the cost of battery so low that EV will be competitive with gas powered car soon.
and they have the capital, manufacturing capacity, technology know how to achieve it.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3680 posts
321 upvotes
Ottawa
aqnd wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 4:41 pm
I would tend to agree with you accept that the rebates restrictions were actually loosened this year so who knows what will happen.

That said, I think you are right and that chances are probably likely that in 3-5 years the rebates will be gone. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of tax exemption to replace it but that might be it.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
2472 posts
312 upvotes
Scarborough
SmartElectric wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 7:29 pm

It's funny. I looked at prices of used 2014 smart electric cars and the price is around $11-$14k! The gasoline smart fortwo are much less, some of them priced as low as $5k-$8k.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29069 posts
994 upvotes
Fernando Po
Regular Car Reviews just did a youtube video on the Bolt (and electric cars in general).
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
May 11, 2007
603 posts
284 upvotes
Kitchener
With more and more countries announcing the ban on sell of new petrol and diesel vehicles in the future and pushing for EV's, i am wondering what will be the future of gas stations say after 15 years from now? Or they all will turn into charging stations and start charging $20 for a charge?