Automotive

Everything about EVs!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 10:36 pm
Apr 3, 2015
21 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I put a deposit down on one of these about a month ago. From the order guide forwarded to me, the MSRP starts at 43K. Dealer said they haven't finalized the rebate, but likely 9-9.3K. No info on battery size or range in the order guide.

'tuna

rmtrmt wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 5:24 pm
From the Toronto Electric Vehicle Association Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TEVAssociation/

" Great news is Mitsubishi Outlander finally arriving Feb 2018 with starting price of 42k minus approx 10k in on govt rebate and leasing will be available! 12kwh battery and Chademo fast charging will give you around 50km range!"

This would be the first SUV PHEV, but they should have put at least an 18kwh battery in there!
Feb 6, 2017
172 posts
64 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 2:22 pm
The ON government INTENDS to keep the program until 2022 or if the program funds are exhausted, but depends on if Liberal gov wins or loses next election around June. I'm in the same boat so most likely I'll try my best to use the rebate by first few months of 2018, but who really knows, the shortage of all the EVs suck right now.
I'm a little bit worried about this as well. My Tesla Model 3 is slated for a late 2018 delivery, most likely pushed into 2019. I wouldn't be able to afford this car if the gov't rebate is no longer available.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1472 posts
587 upvotes
Toronto
HN12345 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:08 am
I'm a little bit worried about this as well. My Tesla Model 3 is slated for a late 2018 delivery, most likely pushed into 2019. I wouldn't be able to afford this car if the gov't rebate is no longer available.
If you cancel your order now, you may be lucky and receive your refund by the end of 2018! ;)
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Feb 6, 2017
172 posts
64 upvotes
some1not wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:18 am
If you cancel your order now, you may be lucky and receive your refund by the end of 2018! ;)
I fully intend on getting the Model 3, currently driving a BMW 328i so I'm into sporty cars. The look/image of the current EVs just don't do it for me. Tbh, I don't really see the incentives going away though even if the Liberals are not in power. This environmental movement is a big deal, I doubt they will pull the plug on this.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40900 posts
9834 upvotes
HN12345 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:24 am
I fully intend on getting the Model 3, currently driving a BMW 328i so I'm into sporty cars. Tbh, I don't really see the incentives going away though even if the Liberals are not in power. This environmental movement is a big deal, I doubt they will pull the plug on this.
It won't. June 2018 is the election. Liberals are not sure to lose with the government backers.

Also, it probably takes a while to table or remove these green environment rules.

My daughter wants the iPhone X. I told her she can get one once I cancel my reservation for the M3.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7461 posts
2405 upvotes
ON
HN12345 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:24 am
I fully intend on getting the Model 3, currently driving a BMW 328i so I'm into sporty cars. The look/image of the current EVs just don't do it for me. Tbh, I don't really see the incentives going away though even if the Liberals are not in power. This environmental movement is a big deal, I doubt they will pull the plug on this.
Given the timing of the election and time it takes to reform and sitting of the house, I wouldn't expect any legislative change until the fall at the earliest (if it's going to happen).
Say, one year today.
Jun 24, 2013
29 posts
32 upvotes
Digging through the documents (http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/ ... _guide.pdf p. 10, section K), it appears that the EVIP is funded through the Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act (section 118 (2)) which is at the Minister's discretion

"(2) On and after January 1, 1997, the Minister may, out of money appropriated therefor by the Legislature and upon such conditions as he or she considers advisable, provide grants, loans and other financial assistance to any person, including the council of a band, within the meaning of the Indian Act (Canada), and a municipal corporation, for specific projects that the Minister considers to be of provincial significance. 1996, c. 1, Sched. M, s. 68."

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90p50#BK71

The new Minister of Transport, assuming the Liberals do get defeated, could withdraw funding the day they are sworn in if they so choose. Right now it's hypothetical, but if you're planning on buying an EV and the Liberals lose, you'll have a couple of weeks between election day and swearing in day to take delivery of your vehicle.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7461 posts
2405 upvotes
ON
I doubt anything would happen over the summer break.
Unless you think politicians would give up their summer break... hah!
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2539 posts
744 upvotes
mf1982 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:52 pm
Digging through the documents (http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/ ... _guide.pdf p. 10, section K), it appears that the EVIP is funded through the Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act (section 118 (2)) which is at the Minister's discretion

"(2) On and after January 1, 1997, the Minister may, out of money appropriated therefor by the Legislature and upon such conditions as he or she considers advisable, provide grants, loans and other financial assistance to any person, including the council of a band, within the meaning of the Indian Act (Canada), and a municipal corporation, for specific projects that the Minister considers to be of provincial significance. 1996, c. 1, Sched. M, s. 68."

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90p50#BK71

The new Minister of Transport, assuming the Liberals do get defeated, could withdraw funding the day they are sworn in if they so choose. Right now it's hypothetical, but if you're planning on buying an EV and the Liberals lose, you'll have a couple of weeks between election day and swearing in day to take delivery of your vehicle.
That's why I have a delivery by June 1st clause in my egolf order. It's a little early, but I don't want to risk getting a car without a rebate.

On another note, Costco ships super fast. I ordered my charger last night and it is coming tomorrow.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Public Mobile $38/4gb
Koodo flaming hot 6s deal

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7461 posts
2405 upvotes
ON
dgnr8 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:25 pm
On another note, Costco ships super fast. I ordered my charger last night and it is coming tomorrow.
Because they don't ship from Costco, direct from distributor.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1028 posts
131 upvotes
Burlington, ON
dgnr8 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:25 pm
That's why I have a delivery by June 1st clause in my egolf order. It's a little early, but I don't want to risk getting a car without a rebate.

To get the Gov't rebate for the charger you have to submit the request within three months of getting the EV rebate. How will you do that if the EV won't arrive for several more months?
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2539 posts
744 upvotes
flyboy320 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:57 pm
To get the Gov't rebate for the charger you have to submit the request within three months of getting the EV rebate. How will you do that if the EV won't arrive for several more months?
I also ordered a Ford Focus ev back in March and it is arriving tomorrow. It took 6 months, but it is finally here! Now I start waiting for the e-golf.

By next summer we will be a fully ev family.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Public Mobile $38/4gb

Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2539 posts
744 upvotes
Anyone switch to the overnight plan with power stream? I am going to call tomorrow to make the switch.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Public Mobile $38/4gb

Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
1009 posts
115 upvotes
Milton
flyboy320 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:57 pm
That's not correct.
The charger rebate requires:
- must be submitted within three months of either (a) purchase date or (b) ESA inspection date (if getting it installed and inspected professionally).
- the car rebate to be submitted first, though you don't need to wait to receive the car rebate.
- the car must be registered and plated in ON.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

radeonboy