Automotive

Everything about EVs!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2018 12:01 pm
May 6, 2006
265 posts
58 upvotes
Brampton
To upgrade a breaker panel, I've seen a licensed electrician ad for ESA permit and inspection for $350 in GTA.

JPTN wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 12:09 am
The electrical work and the inspection are two separate things.

An electrician is the one that will come, assess your electrical infrastructure, and provide an estimate (which is typically free).

The subsequent, independent inspection is done by an Electrical Safety Authority inspector to validate the finished work and sign off on it. Regardless if you hire an electrician or do the work yourself, you require a permit and inspection.
Last edited by gwn on Apr 4th, 2018 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19540 posts
2151 upvotes
Montreal
ysl5710 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 7:40 am
does it have some sort of App like ChargePoint where it gives you report and status of your charging?

Chagepoint and this one is same price and C.P comes with Wifi.
My version does not, but I bought mine in 2016. I think the newer elemec units have it.

It's kind of useless for me, since the GM app allows me to monitor and control charging directly.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1417 posts
316 upvotes
GTA
Wasnt sure the best thread, here, leaf or telsa. Potentially going all electric soon with a 2018 leaf and model 3.

Question is for anyone with similar, did you install a non Tesla charger to charge both? I'm thinking install a Tesla wall connector and a plug. Then either use the leaf included cable or get a cheaper evse to use the plug. This would allow both to be pre heated in winter. We leave at different time so load should not be an issue.

I would probably just run the telsa wall connector from the box the plug is in. I've already got a 50 amp wire run to the garage, so it just the final connection I need to do and I'd do it myself.

Thoughts from any 2 ev owners?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1454 posts
649 upvotes
Toronto
wackojacko wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 9:16 am
Question is for anyone with similar, did you install a non Tesla charger to charge both? I'm thinking install a Tesla wall connector and a plug. Then either use the leaf included cable or get a cheaper evse to use the plug. This would allow both to be pre heated in winter. We leave at different time so load should not be an issue.
Buy the Tesla HPWC as it's the highest wattage EVSE currently available and then buy a $240 USD JDapter to allow every other vehicle (as all North American PH/EVs except Tesla use J1772) to charge from it.
Home automation, NOVO (HiFi) Magazine, Google Trusted Photographer, electric vehicles.
Apr 4, 2017
600 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 8:54 am
My version does not, but I bought mine in 2016. I think the newer elemec units have it.

It's kind of useless for me, since the GM app allows me to monitor and control charging directly.
what GM app is that?
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1417 posts
316 upvotes
GTA
JPTN wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 9:38 am
Buy the Tesla HPWC as it's the highest wattage EVSE currently available and then buy a $240 USD JDapter to allow every other vehicle (as all North American PH/EVs except Tesla use J1772) to charge from it.
Yah I saw this but I'm thinking I'll want both plugged in for preconditioning. I'm willing to spend some to not have to switch the plug between cars. This is handy if I take the leaf to a winery that only has Tesla destination chargers lol.

I suppose I could use the Tesla included cord and this adaptor to plug in leaf? as we won't need portable cord in Tesla the same as leaf. I could leave leaf cord in trunk and Tesla cord plugged in garage. I'm in Ontario so I get up to 500 back on evse so that's a factor too.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1454 posts
649 upvotes
Toronto
wackojacko wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 10:36 am
Yah I saw this but I'm thinking I'll want both plugged in for preconditioning. I'm willing to spend some to not have to switch the plug between cars. This is handy if I take the leaf to a winery that only has Tesla destination chargers lol.

I suppose I could use the Tesla included cord and this adaptor to plug in leaf? as we won't need portable cord in Tesla the same as leaf. I could leave leaf cord in trunk and Tesla cord plugged in garage. I'm in Ontario so I get up to 500 back on evse so that's a factor too.
If you're set on getting two chargers, get two HPWCs as they can be daisy-chained to use a single power supply and will automatically divide the power appropriately based on each vehicle's draw (+one Stub for the non-Tesla).
Home automation, NOVO (HiFi) Magazine, Google Trusted Photographer, electric vehicles.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1417 posts
316 upvotes
GTA
JPTN wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 10:54 am
If you're set on getting two chargers, get two HPWCs as they can be daisy-chained to use a single power supply and will automatically divide the power appropriately based on each vehicle's draw (+one Stub for the non-Tesla).
Interesting, weird how Tesla is a lower price. Probably cost be around 1000 net for 2 Tesla hpwc and the adaptor. Thanks
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19540 posts
2151 upvotes
Montreal
ysl5710 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 10:08 am
what GM app is that?
MyChevrolet phone AP. It links to your onstar account. ALL gen 2 volts get 5 years free basic onstar.
Penalty Box
Dec 7, 2012
31677 posts
8083 upvotes
GTHA
Chevrolet Bolt, Chevrolet Volt, Hyundai IONIQ EV and Mitsubishi Outlander PhEV will be available for test drives at the 2018 Green Living Show being held this weekend at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

TD Electric Vehicle Experience Powered by Plug'n Drive
https://www.greenlivingshow.ca/td-elect ... ence-2018/
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1454 posts
649 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 12:31 pm
Chevrolet Bolt, Chevrolet Volt, Hyundai IONIQ EV and Mitsubishi Outlander PhEV will be available for test drives at the 2018 Green Living Show being held this weekend at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

TD Electric Vehicle Experience Powered by Plug'n Drive
https://www.greenlivingshow.ca/td-elect ... ence-2018/
Everything except the IONIQ are also available at the Electric Vehicle Discovery Centre too. (And it's free...)
Apr 4, 2017
600 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
I have Volt as well. How do I get this activated? I downloaded the APP, but it does not do much other than provide me basic information. Does it give you advanced diagnostic information?
Mar 1, 2005
910 posts
378 upvotes
Markham
I just got a quote from an licensed electrician for a 240V circuit that my 100A panel needs to be upgraded to a 200A service as per the "new Ontario Building Code" starting Jan 1 2018.

I googled this and found the article below.
http://www.demarcoallan.com/single-post ... -Buildings.
Detached houses, semi-detached houses or row houses* containing not more than two dwelling units served by a garage, carport or driveway are required to have installed, unless a code official approves of an alternative solution:
200 amp—A minimum 200 amp panel board;
Reading further in the actual documentation (https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/120332), it simply defines rules for new homes to have a 200A panel and other provisions to accommodate EV charging.
read : 3.1.21.1. Electric Vehicle Charging Systems
(3) Except as provided in Sentences (6) and (7), where a house is served by a garage, carport or driveway, the following shall be installed to permit the future installation of electric vehicle supply equipment that conforms to Section 86 of the Electrical Safety Code:

(a) a minimum 200 amp panelboard,

(b) a conduit that is not less than 27 mm trade size and is equipped with a means to allow cables to be pulled into the conduit, and

(c) a square 4-11/16 in. trade size electrical outlet box.

(4) The electrical outlet box described in Clause (3)(c) shall be installed in the garage or carport or adjacent to the driveway.

(5) The conduit and electrical outlet box described in Clauses (3)(b) and (c) shall provide an effective barrier against the passage of gas and exhaust fumes.

(6) A house need not comply with Sentence (3) where it,

(a) is not connected to a distribution system, as defined in subsection 2 (1) of the Electricity Act, 1998, or

(b) is used or intended to be used as a seasonal recreational building described in Section 9.36.

(7) A house need not comply with Sentence (3) where,

(a) before January 1, 2018,

(i) an agreement was entered into between the owner of the land on which the house is to be constructed and a distributor, as defined in subsection 2 (1) of the Electricity Act, 1998, that sets out the conditions for the connection of the house to a distribution system, as defined in subsection 2 (1) of that Act, or

(ii) a plan for the land on which the house is to be constructed respecting the siting and sizing of lines, transformers or other equipment used for conveying electricity was approved by a distributor, as defined in subsection 2 (1) of the Electricity Act, 1998, and

(b) an application for a permit to construct the house was made before January 1, 2020.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1749 posts
1119 upvotes
Canada
Hobbesgsr wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 6:56 pm
I just got a quote from an licensed electrician for a 240V circuit that my 100A panel needs to be upgraded to a 200A service as per the "new Ontario Building Code" starting Jan 1 2018.

I googled this and found the article below.
http://www.demarcoallan.com/single-post ... -Buildings.

Reading further in the actual documentation (https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/120332), it simply defines rules for new homes to have a 200A panel and other provisions to accommodate EV charging.
read : 3.1.21.1. Electric Vehicle Charging Systems
Yes, this 200A panel rule seems like for new construction.
Do you have anything other than regular AC/stove/dryer?
I would recommend asking another electrician for a quote.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Little Tim