Everything about EVs!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2018 11:30 am
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1187 posts
169 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I am about to get my 220v outlet installed in my garage and the electrician asked me to get a report from Burlington Hydro to show what my peak current draw was for every day last year. They want to make sure with a charger installed you don't exceed (I think it was 80%) of your panels capacity (in my case 100amps). Turns out I'm OK since I'm installing the Chargepoint charger which is a 32amp charger. I think this is a fairly new requirement in Halton region order to pass the inspection.
Mar 1, 2005
909 posts
378 upvotes
Markham
seafish wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 9:51 pm
Do you have anything other than regular AC/stove/dryer?
Nope.
seafish wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 9:51 pm
I would recommend asking another electrician for a quote.
This was my 4th quote. He was the first to mention this "new building code requirement".
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1346 posts
291 upvotes
GTA
Hobbesgsr wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 10:18 pm
Nope.

This was my 4th quote. He was the first to mention this "new building code requirement".
Is your basement finish or you plan to finish it, it's not hard for a home over 2000 sq ft to use up 100 amp. Before adding extras like ev or hot tubs, etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
2175 posts
736 upvotes
Pothole city
Just wondering why all you guys are buying American made charger?
There's plenty of canadian made charger out there.
They are all pretty much the same (warranty, cost, looks, etc...)
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2638 posts
506 upvotes
Hamilton
typer100 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2018 9:31 am
Just wondering why all you guys are buying American made charger?
There's plenty of canadian made charger out there.
They are all pretty much the same (warranty, cost, looks, etc...)
I bought a CharePoint for home in mid 2016 over other EVSEs primarily for aesthetics and wifi connectivity. Nothing else at the time was on the rebate list that matched that. Later that year FLO was released which also had very nice aesthetics and wifi connectivity, but was also Canadian made. Only thing is it’s $1300 + tax vs $1000 + tax for the Chargepoint.

Just my opinion, and of course aesthetics shouldn’t be the only (or maybe even a reason at all) to choose an EVSE, but nothing looks quite as nice as the ChargePoint or FLO (except the Tesla HPWC, which somehow is just $633 CAD and can charge upwards of 80A).
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1638 posts
608 upvotes
Ontario
I am thinking about getting a second 240V EVSE for the following reasons:

- I want to be able to charge my FFE to a certain level only, say 75%, starting immediately that cheap rate electricity starts at 7pm. This is so that it is not sitting at 100% all night but has charge if needed later in the evening.

- I then want to charge up to say 95% in the morning before the car is used for commuting (say between 5am and 7am, or 5am and 6am if preconditioning by 7am). This is because I don't need to charge all the away to 100% full charge but want near maximum range each day for wife's range anxiety.

- I would like to be able to control the rate of charge so that the battery is kept warm longer overnight in winter and perhaps reaches a lower temperature weekend charging in the summer.

- I am eligible for 50% rebate

Any suggestions from EVSE owners for an EVSE that can reliably provide this control? Anything lower cost (and rebate eligible) other than Juicebox Pro and Chargepoint which seem like they would be capable reading specs?

I intend to keep the FFE in the family as long as possible and would like to do what I can to preserve battery life as long as possible.
Last edited by Martin (deal addict) on Apr 7th, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 8, 2014
616 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Riiiight, because Tesla reservation holders like me are in the market for a Chinese made EV, and not a Tesla, I see where you are going and I raise you a "not likely". To each their own. Driving a Tesla everyday, and having many test drives of my friends EV's including i3, Bolt, Leaf (old and new), it's not even a fair fight folks, Tesla wins hands down on awesome sauce. Sure, I'm a fanboy, but I didn't buy my Tesla till 2015 as I was skeptical in the 2012-2013 time frame like others, but no one else makes the kind of compelling EV's that Tesla does.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1638 posts
608 upvotes
Ontario
SmartElectric wrote:
Apr 7th, 2018 11:47 am
Riiiight, because Tesla reservation holders like me are in the market for a Chinese made EV, and not a Tesla, I see where you are going and I raise you a "not likely". To each their own. Driving a Tesla everyday, and having many test drives of my friends EV's including i3, Bolt, Leaf (old and new), it's not even a fair fight folks, Tesla wins hands down on awesome sauce. Sure, I'm a fanboy, but I didn't buy my Tesla till 2015 as I was skeptical in the 2012-2013 time frame like others, but no one else makes the kind of compelling EV's that Tesla does.
The Tesla Model 3 is a great looking car imo and I think Tesla deserves support from consumers as they have pushed other manufacturers to wake up and develop EVs. However personally I don't want to be buying an EV just because its an EV, when I would not consider it as an ICE vehicle. I really am not in the market for a sedan with a modest trunk. It is a diminishing market segment for ICEs. I will look at a vehicle on its own merits in terms of functionality, value, looks, safety etc. Where it is made (assembled) is a consideration as ideally i would like to buy as local as possible but not one that would override the main decision factors. Chinese manufacture is not a big negative quality wise anymore. The huge investment in EVs in China will yield competitive design, quality, selection etc.
Sep 30, 2007
515 posts
272 upvotes
Finally.
Seat, part of VW group, will introduce electric Leon in Europe in 2020, with a range of 500 km.
It will be based on VW Golf, Audi A3, and Skoda Octavia.

Electric S/W with big battery. If only it had RWD, it would be my dream car.
And here is the problem for big automakers, trying to compete with Tesla.
Instead of building purpose built EVs, they are still trying to adapt ICE'd cars to the new demands.

Electric SEAT

May 2, 2017
95 posts
79 upvotes
xrvr wrote:
Apr 7th, 2018 1:56 pm
Finally.
Seat, part of VW group, will introduce electric Leon in Europe in 2020, with a range of 500 km.

Instead of building purpose built EVs, they are still trying to adapt ICE'd cars to the new demands.

Electric SEAT

That Seat is based on VW's MEB platform. Not any ICE vehicle platform. It's a new platform designed for EV's only, this car seems to be on the same timeline as the other ID products VW announced as well.

https://insideevs.com/volkswagen-discus ... eap-build/
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1638 posts
608 upvotes
Ontario
xrvr wrote:
Apr 7th, 2018 1:56 pm
Finally.

Electric SEAT
My brother has the current version of that car in diesel - the Seat Leon Estate. It is essentially a Golf/Jetta Wagon sold under a cheaper brand name. VW are being forced into EV by dieselgate. It is the next iteration of the e-golf in wagon form. Current e-golf is already a multi fuel platform.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2353 posts
151 upvotes
Markham
Will you be able to star the ev car if you're not using it over an extended period of time? i.e. leave it at the airport parking lot over 2 weeks.

I didn't drive my civic for about 2 weeks. I drove around a few times but not long enough to fully charge the battery. When I was driving, I used the heated seat function. It wouldn't start and need a boost.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14608 posts
4077 upvotes
dec12 wrote:
Apr 10th, 2018 10:54 am
Will you be able to star the ev car if you're not using it over an extended period of time? i.e. leave it at the airport parking lot over 2 weeks.
I think Tesla said the Model 3 will lose about 4% of range a month. So ~2% loss in two weeks, i suspect you won't have a problem. Now if you charged it at the airport somehow and left it unplugged for over 2 years your probably screwed.

Other models will YMMV
General Zod for Premier would have been less evil then the other guy