Everything about EVs!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2018 8:36 pm
Jul 23, 2009
115 posts
17 upvotes
dec12 wrote:
Apr 10th, 2018 10:54 am
Will you be able to star the ev car if you're not using it over an extended period of time? i.e. leave it at the airport parking lot over 2 weeks.

I didn't drive my civic for about 2 weeks. I drove around a few times but not long enough to fully charge the battery. When I was driving, I used the heated seat function. It wouldn't start and need a boost.
You need to read your car's manual.
Volt/Bolt says you should not let your car unplugged for long periods in the winter.

Probably all Evs are smart enough to use x% of battery to keep battery in "good" condition but I wouldn't trust my math in the winter. :)
Last edited by diogoweb on Apr 10th, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1903 posts
777 upvotes
Ontario
dec12 wrote:
Apr 10th, 2018 10:54 am
Will you be able to star the ev car if you're not using it over an extended period of time? i.e. leave it at the airport parking lot over 2 weeks.

I didn't drive my civic for about 2 weeks. I drove around a few times but not long enough to fully charge the battery. When I was driving, I used the heated seat function. It wouldn't start and need a boost.
I am assuming you mean BEV not PHEV. I have left my FFE longer (1 month) without a problem. It would depend on the car. If the 12v battery did drop over time it doesn't take many amps to liven it up - not like an ICE that needs cranking amps. If you are worried you can get a LI-ion backup (see one in link or hopefully get one cheaper) or even put a 12v lawnmower battery in the trunk and a set of cheap jump cables. You may get some funny looks asking people if you can use jump leads on their car to start your BEV.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motom ... p.html#srp
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Feb 14, 2018
297 posts
143 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 10:53 pm
Tesla Model 3 is now officially eligible to Ontario’s generous CA$14,000 incentive ahead of deliveries

https://electrek.co/2018/04/12/tesla-mo ... ncentives/
But can they deliver one before the rebate expires, sometime after the summer election ? If that could be guaranteed for a new order, I would order one straight away. Unfortunately I think it will only apply to those that ordered long ago.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1975 posts
1667 upvotes
Canada
EvMart wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 2:14 pm
But can they deliver one before the rebate expires, sometime after the summer election ? If that could be guaranteed for a new order, I would order one straight away. Unfortunately I think it will only apply to those that ordered long ago.
Delivery is in 4-8 weeks if you got an invite to order. Obviously, if you're just looking to put a deposit you're not getting one any time soon.
I don't think anyone who put deposit after 2 weeks following unveil date got their invites.
That was the reason people put deposits 2 years ago, to be able to order sooner.
Jun 24, 2013
104 posts
137 upvotes
I potentially had access, through a family member who was going to postpone their reservation to a Model 3 reservation.

I called Tesla and despite the starting at $45 k price (something like that on their website), right now only the LR with premium upgrade package is available, starting at $64k plus HST. Working it out with taxes, then the rebate, you're looking at about $58k.

If the standard range base model was available(with rebate), I'd take it in a heart beat. Unfortunately the additional costs of the upgrade are too much for our budget right now.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2006
1197 posts
217 upvotes
Re: Green plates, saw GVBC the other day, man, they're progressing fast. Also saw an Green Ontario VE__, thought those were Quebec only.

Just wondering, anyone ever see a GVAG plate or did the MTO skip it?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
1884 posts
960 upvotes
mf1982 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 3:38 pm
I potentially had access, through a family member who was going to postpone their reservation to a Model 3 reservation.

I called Tesla and despite the starting at $45 k price (something like that on their website), right now only the LR with premium upgrade package is available, starting at $64k plus HST. Working it out with taxes, then the rebate, you're looking at about $58k.

If the standard range base model was available(with rebate), I'd take it in a heart beat. Unfortunately the additional costs of the upgrade are too much for our budget right now.
I think anyone who want the rebate should take whatever they can get their hands on right now. Tesla will NOT deliver.

Also here is a bit of Tesla news in case someone is desperate enough to jump into a used Tesla.

https://insideevs.com/tesla-changes-cpo ... furbished/

TL/DR, Tesla CPO has dropped the C. There is a lot of pissed off CPO customers who has received cars that is in worse shape than rentals from Hertz and Tesla won't fix any of it.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1233 posts
191 upvotes
Burlington, ON
BuildBuyBreed wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 5:04 pm
Re: Green plates, saw GVBC the other day, man, they're progressing fast. Also saw an Green Ontario VE__, thought those were Quebec only.

Just picked up my e-Golf with a GVBC plate. Boy, sure is nice driving in the HOV lanes when I'm the only one in the car :)
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2679 posts
537 upvotes
Hamilton
BuildBuyBreed wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 5:04 pm

flyboy320 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 6:46 pm
Just picked up my e-Golf with a GVBC plate. Boy, sure is nice driving in the HOV lanes when I'm the only one in the car :)
I did see GVBD last week. Definitely seems like they’re moving rather quickly through these plates.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12103 posts
1917 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Looks like the Chargepoint chargers are back in stock on Amazon. Hopefully they get delivered in time. I just checked with my electrician and surprisingly we can install it using our existing 100 amp breaker panel.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1277 posts
385 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 10:36 am
Looks like the Chargepoint chargers are back in stock on Amazon. Hopefully they get delivered in time. I just checked with my electrician and surprisingly we can install it using our existing 100 amp breaker panel.
I ordered my second charger, a chargepoint off amazon and it shipped Thursday, 3 days after ordering. Says it will arrive Monday
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12103 posts
1917 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
- the 100A panel will be a challenge for you since you already have a 40A and two 30A breakers installed

- if your AC, Stove and Dryer will run at the same time you will not be able to charge your EV as well
This doesn't happen much but what happens if we run all 3 together? The switch flips? So I should upgrade to a 200 amp panel instead? Electrician said my panel is 100 amps.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2679 posts
537 upvotes
Hamilton
geokilla wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 10:36 am
I ordered one on Thursday when it said 1-2 months shipping (I ordered it for a colleague who doesn’t need it for a couple months, but he just got a new PHEV). It ended up shipping the next day.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2679 posts
537 upvotes
Hamilton
geokilla wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 2:38 pm
This doesn't happen much but what happens if we run all 3 together? The switch flips? So I should upgrade to a 200 amp panel instead? Electrician said my panel is 100 amps.
The breaker will likely flip if too much is running.

In all honesty you’ll likely be ok. I have a 100A panel and have many things on it (2x 40A EVSEs, AC, Oven, Stove, Dryer, some 15-20A circuits for heated floors). Never been an issue. I shouldn’t have 2 40A EVSEs on 100A panel, but I schedule them for different times during the night. I have run them both at the same time just to test (combined 60A actual charging) plus some other things and it’s been ok.