• Dec 8th, 2018 8:36 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1542 posts
414 upvotes
GTA
QTheNukes wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 12:29 pm
I ordered my second charger, a chargepoint off amazon and it shipped Thursday, 3 days after ordering. Says it will arrive Monday
Thinking of ordering a chargepoint for my leaf I'm picking up Monday. I really only want a second mobile cord but they don't seem to be on the in rebate list. Therefore a chargepoint for under 500 seems to be the best value.

Any other suggestions?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5863 posts
596 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
BuildBuyBreed wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 5:04 pm
Re: Green plates, saw GVBC the other day, man, they're progressing fast. Also saw an Green Ontario VE__, thought those were Quebec only.

Just wondering, anyone ever see a GVAG plate or did the MTO skip it?
There's VE plates Ontario. Just need to request it in French or something.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1542 posts
414 upvotes
GTA
NubNub wrote:
Mar 27th, 2018 2:51 pm
I DIY the installation. I only applied for the EVSE rebate and receive it just last week. The parts cost me slightly over a hundred bucks, so no point in getting an ESA inspection to apply for the installation costs.
Has anyone who DIY the installation applied for the installation rebate too?
Which evse did you install. I'm probably going to order the chargepoint, but just wonder if yours was hard wired or plug. I had my electrician run the wire last fall but it just loose in the garage. I don't want complication if I buy the hard wire and they ask for an esa.
Jan 16, 2007
930 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
wackojacko wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 9:52 pm
Which evse did you install. I'm probably going to order the chargepoint, but just wonder if yours was hard wired or plug. I had my electrician run the wire last fall but it just loose in the garage. I don't want complication if I buy the hard wire and they ask for an esa.
I bought and installed the hardwired chagepoint back before Xmas during the previous discount. No ESA since I didn't apply for installation rebate. Got my EVSA rebate last month. If you have a long Romex wire in your garage, you may want to run it through a conduit for protection from damage.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1542 posts
414 upvotes
GTA
NubNub wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 1:28 pm
I bought and installed the hardwired chagepoint back before Xmas during the previous discount. No ESA since I didn't apply for installation rebate. Got my EVSA rebate last month. If you have a long Romex wire in your garage, you may want to run it through a conduit for protection from damage.
For sure. Thanks you've made my order confirm up for the hw version.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1542 posts
414 upvotes
GTA
To my DIY electrician friends. I've order the ChargePoint hardwired unit but I realized my existing wire and breaker are 50 amps 6/3 wire. I'm assuming the wire gauge won't be a problem but do you think the 50 amp breaker will pose a problem? I've emailed chargePoint for their input.

My thoughts is it should be fine, as you're most concern with it be 125% of the load.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1975 posts
1665 upvotes
Canada
wackojacko wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 12:28 pm
To my DIY electrician friends. I've order the ChargePoint hardwired unit but I realized my existing wire and breaker are 50 amps 6/3 wire. I'm assuming the wire gauge won't be a problem but do you think the 50 amp breaker will pose a problem? I've emailed chargePoint for their input.

My thoughts is it should be fine, as you're most concern with it be 125% of the load.
The wire is fine, but you may want to change breaker to 40A for it to trip properly
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29172 posts
2160 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hobbesgsr wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 6:56 pm
I just got a quote from an licensed electrician for a 240V circuit that my 100A panel needs to be upgraded to a 200A service as per the "new Ontario Building Code" starting Jan 1 2018.

I googled this and found the article below.
http://www.demarcoallan.com/single-post ... -Buildings.

Reading further in the actual documentation (https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/120332), it simply defines rules for new homes to have a 200A panel and other provisions to accommodate EV charging.
read : 3.1.21.1. Electric Vehicle Charging Systems
your house is exempt as per sentence 7, get another contractor who can read.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2679 posts
537 upvotes
Hamilton
wackojacko wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 12:28 pm

seafish wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 12:47 pm
The wire is fine, but you may want to change breaker to 40A for it to trip properly
Agreed with seafish. I seem to recall during the app / EVSE setup for Chargpoint that it asks you a few times to confirm the amperage of the circuit (you can do 20A or 40A).

Also, the second EVSE I installed I used 6/3 wire (just to future proof) with a 40A breaker. Using that 6 gage wire was a true PITA when fitting into the terminals compared to using 8 gage. If I had to do it again, I'd likely terminate the 6 gage in a box that's a few feet from the EVSE, and run 8 gage from the box to the EVSE. The Chargepoint has a very nice setup for hardwiring, but the space was definitely limited for getting the larger wire into the terminals.
Mar 1, 2005
917 posts
379 upvotes
Markham
A few electricians (not all) are telling me with my quote that I have to upgrade to 200A service from 100A based on the load calculation that the ESA will do anyways as part of the inspection or it won’t pass.

My home has one stove, one dryer, one 2.5 ton A/C unit and a finished basement. I’m asking for a 50A breaker to support a 40A JuiceBox Pro 40.

This will add at least another $1,000 to this EVSE install. It’s interesting that quotes from experienced EVSE installers say I’m fine with my 100A service.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1277 posts
385 upvotes
Hobbesgsr wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 3:44 pm
A few electricians (not all) are telling me with my quote that I have to upgrade to 200A service from 100A based on the load calculation that the ESA will do anyways as part of the inspection or it won’t pass.

My home has one stove, one dryer, one 2.5 ton A/C unit and a finished basement. I’m asking for a 50A breaker to support a 40A JuiceBox Pro 40.

This will add at least another $1,000 to this EVSE install. It’s interesting that quotes from experienced EVSE installers say I’m fine with my 100A service.
You are on the edge....you would not be able to add a second EVSE or a hot tub
Penalty Box
Sep 30, 2011
1490 posts
276 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
joey003 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 3:36 pm
The breaker will likely flip if too much is running.

In all honesty you’ll likely be ok. I have a 100A panel and have many things on it (2x 40A EVSEs, AC, Oven, Stove, Dryer, some 15-20A circuits for heated floors). Never been an issue. I shouldn’t have 2 40A EVSEs on 100A panel, but I schedule them for different times during the night. I have run them both at the same time just to test (combined 60A actual charging) plus some other things and it’s been ok.
You seriously run TWO 40A EVSE, not one two pole EVSE breaker, that's a lot, WOW, but you can still get by by doing it overnight when nothing else is on except AC run on and off.
Both EVSE are rated 30A if on 40A breaker and they should never coincidentally on full power except you run both car battery to 0%
<No political content in signatures>
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2679 posts
537 upvotes
Hamilton
napoleonbot wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 4:38 pm
You seriously run TWO 40A EVSE, not one two pole EVSE breaker, that's a lot, WOW, but you can still get by by doing it overnight when nothing else is on except AC run on and off.
Both EVSE are rated 30A if on 40A breaker and they should never coincidentally on full power except you run both car battery to 0%
Lol yes. And I understand that I really shouldn’t be doing that or running them at the same time.

I have tested, out of curiosity to see if both running would work. One EV draws 32A continuously and the PHEV on the other draws 27.5A. So just about 60A when both charging below 80%. Though I do have them scheduled to run at different times. Well actually I leave the PHEV to charge at anytime as it gets used for a lot of errands and can fully charge in 2 hours, and the EV is set to charge at 1am.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20228 posts
2210 upvotes
Montreal
joey003 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 7:15 pm
Lol yes. And I understand that I really shouldn’t be doing that or running them at the same time.

I have tested, out of curiosity to see if both running would work. One EV draws 32A continuously and the PHEV on the other draws 27.5A. So just about 60A when both charging below 80%. Though I do have them scheduled to run at different times. Well actually I leave the PHEV to charge at anytime as it gets used for a lot of errands and can fully charge in 2 hours, and the EV is set to charge at 1am.
Livin dangerously!
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1542 posts
414 upvotes
GTA
joey003 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 2:52 pm
Agreed with seafish. I seem to recall during the app / EVSE setup for Chargpoint that it asks you a few times to confirm the amperage of the circuit (you can do 20A or 40A).

Also, the second EVSE I installed I used 6/3 wire (just to future proof) with a 40A breaker. Using that 6 gage wire was a true PITA when fitting into the terminals compared to using 8 gage. If I had to do it again, I'd likely terminate the 6 gage in a box that's a few feet from the EVSE, and run 8 gage from the box to the EVSE. The Chargepoint has a very nice setup for hardwiring, but the space was definitely limited for getting the larger wire into the terminals.
Chargepoint replied and said... Thank you for contacting ChargePoint support. The CPH25-L25 is only rated to 40 amps and if too much current flows through the station it can fry the electronics inside the station. You will need to have a 40 amp breaker for this station

I still don't think it will matter, but I'm going to pick up a 40 amp breaker. I do plan on adding a telsa wall connector a some point so I can use the 50 for that.