Everything about EVs!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2018 11:29 am
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11523 posts
1640 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
My electrician said he can install my Chargepoint EVSE for around $300, using the existing 100 amp panel and adding a couple breakers. If he doesn't provide an ESA certificate, can I still apply for a rebate on the EVSE purchase and skip the rebate for the installation?

Reason the installation is that cheap is because the breaker panel and charging station are right next to each other. My breaker panel is in the garage.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1228 posts
241 upvotes
GTA
geokilla wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 9:33 pm
My electrician said he can install my Chargepoint EVSE for around $300, using the existing 100 amp panel and adding a couple breakers. If he doesn't provide an ESA certificate, can I still apply for a rebate on the EVSE purchase and skip the rebate for the installation?

Reason the installation is that cheap is because the breaker panel and charging station are right next to each other. My breaker panel is in the garage.
Yes you can apply for just the charger. That's what I'm going to do, the wire was ran last fall when I had other work done.
Feb 14, 2018
151 posts
48 upvotes
joey003 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 7:15 pm
Lol yes. And I understand that I really shouldn’t be doing that or running them at the same time.

I have tested, out of curiosity to see if both running would work. One EV draws 32A continuously and the PHEV on the other draws 27.5A. So just about 60A when both charging below 80%. Though I do have them scheduled to run at different times. Well actually I leave the PHEV to charge at anytime as it gets used for a lot of errands and can fully charge in 2 hours, and the EV is set to charge at 1am.
You can get EVSE s that communicate and load share between the two of them. Never exceeding the max for each vehicle. As one vehicle tapers of, the other one gets more.
May 2, 2017
49 posts
28 upvotes
Hobbesgsr wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 3:44 pm
A few electricians (not all) are telling me with my quote that I have to upgrade to 200A service from 100A based on the load calculation that the ESA will do anyways as part of the inspection or it won’t pass.

My home has one stove, one dryer, one 2.5 ton A/C unit and a finished basement. I’m asking for a 50A breaker to support a 40A JuiceBox Pro 40.

This will add at least another $1,000 to this EVSE install. It’s interesting that quotes from experienced EVSE installers say I’m fine with my 100A service.
I have a very similar load to you, and had no problem with the ESA inspector approving the 50A breaker on 100A service.
Dec 14, 2017
41 posts
40 upvotes
How slowly will my Leaf charge if I use a standard plug in? (one found in a typical household)?

EDIT: My strata approved use of an outlet near my stall, but it is not fancy and I can't make changes to it.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
10360 posts
1161 upvotes
RFD
7865875 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 1:09 am
How slowly will my Leaf charge if I use a standard plug in? (one found in a typical household)?

EDIT: My strata approved use of an outlet near my stall, but it is not fancy and I can't make changes to it.
Think it is around 36 hours for a full charge on level 1
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2551 posts
451 upvotes
Hamilton
wackojacko wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 9:31 pm
Chargepoint replied and said... Thank you for contacting ChargePoint support. The CPH25-L25 is only rated to 40 amps and if too much current flows through the station it can fry the electronics inside the station. You will need to have a 40 amp breaker for this station

I still don't think it will matter, but I'm going to pick up a 40 amp breaker. I do plan on adding a telsa wall connector a some point so I can use the 50 for that.
That's why I used the 6 gage wire on the second install. Also a breaker is relatively cheap and simple to replace, so not much cost there.
EvMart wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 10:41 pm
You can get EVSE s that communicate and load share between the two of them. Never exceeding the max for each vehicle. As one vehicle tapers of, the other one gets more.
I know - the first EVSE was almost two years ago and there weren't as many options when going by the rebate list at the time.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8586 posts
2005 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
7865875 wrote:

According to government brochure, 28hrs from empty.
Images
  • P_20180222_081043_vHDR_On_1.jpg
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2551 posts
451 upvotes
Hamilton
7865875 wrote:

Like @radeonboy and @Andro mentioned, it'll be long for a full charge. Imagine on a standard plug - likely 120V @ 12A is 1.44kW charge rate. Every hour you'd get ~1.4kWh. Better than nothing for an overnight charge, and possibly enough for most day to day driving.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1228 posts
241 upvotes
GTA
joey003 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 5:48 am
That's why I used the 6 gage wire on the second install. Also a breaker is relatively cheap and simple to replace, so not much cost there.
Yah I plan to install 8/3 wire in the future and use the 40 amp and swap the 6/3 wire for the Tesla connector. I'll just use the 6/3 that exists now on a 40 amp for the ChargePoint.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28133 posts
1959 upvotes
Winnipeg
TheTall wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 11:03 pm
I have a very similar load to you, and had no problem with the ESA inspector approving the 50A breaker on 100A service.
you need 40A breaker if it is hardwired directly, if you running to a 50A rated plug, then you can use 50A breaker.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1217 posts
387 upvotes
Ontario
divx wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 10:38 am
you need 40A breaker if it is hardwired directly, if you running to a 50A rated plug, then you can use 50A breaker.
You need to protect the EVSE with the breaker rating recommended by the manufacturer. Maximum rating of the plug type used is irrelevant as long as it meets or exceeds that of the breaker fitted.
Aug 26, 2003
181 posts
69 upvotes
Slightly off topic... While I was charging my phone wirelessly, I was thinking sometimes in my lifetime we may not need any EVSE since we can charge our cars while driving on the road.

What do you know? China already built one!

China’s Built a Road So Smart It Will Be Able to Charge Your Car
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... n-the-move

Edit: Update with the correct article link
Last edited by alli on Apr 17th, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28133 posts
1959 upvotes
Winnipeg
alli wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 11:50 am
Slightly off topic... While I was charging my phone wirelessly, I was thinking sometimes in my lifetime we may not need any EVSE since we can charge our cars while driving on the road.

https://www.bloomberg.com/hyperdrive
how? by induction?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2245 posts
1192 upvotes
Oakville, ON
alli wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 11:50 am

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... n-the-move

Edit: Update with the correct article link
Saw some articles last week on testing on-road charging in Sweden. Approach is similar to the old electric slot car racing toys from back in the day.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.engadge ... e-driving/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)