• Dec 13th, 2018 10:07 am
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29212 posts
2174 upvotes
Winnipeg
Bb0231 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 12:58 pm
Still expecting a sharp drop of EV sales in Canada in Q4!
i'd be interested to see the sale figures
Sep 8, 2014
652 posts
492 upvotes
Toronto, ON
yyzaf1 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 11:22 pm

People buy Tesla because it is a new cool thing to own we you have money. Before BMW and MB were cool and showed your financial status now Tesla is the new yo I am rich.
I previously owned a Ford Focus and Ford Taurus ... so .. Tesla was not a financial status purchase for me.
It was about moving to electric propulsion, and supporting Tesla's mission.
Dec 19, 2015
460 posts
231 upvotes
Calgary, AB
More info on the Rivian.

https://www.teslarati.com/rivian-electr ... s-detroit/

The most interesting tidbits are:
Since Vinnels joined last year, three VPs and three directors have left McLaren to join Rivian, along with several other engineers. While some of these new hires have moved to Rivian’s hubs in the US, the company has recently opened up a development center in the UK.

With production of their first two cars looming around the corner, Rivian has ramped up hiring significantly, more than doubling their headcount since the start of the year to approximately 500. In addition to hires from McLaren, Rivian has a significant number of people from Tesla, Faraday Future, and the big three Detroit automakers.
So they have a lot of talent and seem to have stayed within the motor industry for a lot of it. Hopefully that means they have more of a grasp on production and how things work in the industry than Tesla did.

They'll have spent $170m on a renovating and retooling an old GM/Mitsubishi factory that has a production capacity of 200-300k
Rivian’s battery module is made up of the same sized battery cells that Tesla uses in the Model 3, commonly referred to as 2170, but the physical configuration of the cells differs quite a bit. Though the module is significantly thicker than Tesla’s, with two cells stacked on top of each other, it’s more energy dense by volume and weight.
Could be interesting, especially the weight part which is the biggest hurdle IMO. They have the benefit of having more vertical space than Tesla and appear to be wanting to use it for their advantage.
Rivian’s largest battery pack holds a staggering 180kWh of energy and delivers 400+ miles of range. Additionally, Rivian will offer 105kWh and 135kWh configurations, with a starting price just over $60K. The top of the line battery pack will start just under $90K and will deliver close to 800hp.
Information that has been mentioned before, but with more specifics now. Hopefully they can halve that $90k in the next 5 years so they become more affordable to mainstream buyers. The Tacoma starts at $25k US and tops out at $45k for the TRD Pro, which is probably the closest direct competitor unless the Ranger Raptor gets to the US. It may compete against the F150 Raptor in some ways, but the mules looked like shorter vehicles and the video makes it look more midsize than full size.
Mar 21, 2013
913 posts
622 upvotes
EDMONTON
EvMart wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 8:17 pm
Personally I will hang on to the gas powered snowblower for a bit longer, don’t see anything electric in that segment that can do the job. Though the lawn mower will probably go next year (EGO); the weed eater went a few years ago (RYOBI).
I know something even better for the environment that can do the job. Your arms.
Sep 30, 2007
625 posts
391 upvotes
First Jaguar i-Pace spotted in the wild. Nederlands, AFAIK.

Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1471 posts
700 upvotes
Toronto
xrvr wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 9:57 pm
They've been delivering them since late September in Europe, October in North America.
Article from October 16: https://insideevs.com/jaguar-delivers-first-i-pace-usa/

Yorkdale Mall had an I-Pace pop up in centre court two weeks ago (Oct 29 to Nov 7). It's since been replaced by a Cadillac XT4.

Home automation, NOVO (HiFi) Magazine, Google Trusted Photographer, electric vehicles.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20263 posts
2220 upvotes
Montreal
What the frack?

3rd week in november and I've been running ERDTT every day this week.
Sep 30, 2007
625 posts
391 upvotes
Finally succumbed to the peer pressure, and did some shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Boxing day or whatever the hell its called nowadays.
Openevse.com has 20% off on everything in the store.
Got myself proper L2 40A "charger*" kit, U$400, or C$530 delivered to Canada.
* It is not a "charger". It's an interface for the actual charger in your car to communicate with the AC outlet.

Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20263 posts
2220 upvotes
Montreal
xrvr wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 12:22 am
Finally succumbed to the peer pressure, and did some shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Boxing day or whatever the hell its called nowadays.
Openevse.com has 20% off on everything in the store.
Got myself proper L2 40A "charger*" kit, U$400, or C$530 delivered to Canada.
* It is not a "charger". It's an interface for the actual charger in your car to communicate with the AC outlet.

How hard is it to set that up?
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3115 posts
979 upvotes
Toronto
xrvr wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 9:57 pm

Beautiful car - too bad the energy consumption is just unacceptable. I've seen several people on forums claim they decided against it for that very reason.
4 years of pain for Ontario...
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3537 posts
1135 upvotes
AB
Does anyone have updates on Niro EV availability in Canada?
Dec 19, 2015
460 posts
231 upvotes
Calgary, AB
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theverg ... -show-2018

So $69k for the base model 200 mile version and $90-100k for the 400 mile version.

Extremely tempting if I could justify $100k on a car. They’re doing the Tesla thing of announcing two years prior to launch however, with the $1,000 refundable deposit.

For what it is it’s relatively cheap, for what it competes against (the TDR Pro and the Ranger) it’s a big uplift in cost.

Hopefully the big guys release some things like this in the future at a more reasonable price.