12684 upvotes
raskal wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 12:11 am
no more gas vehicles, but no one said anything about diesel vehicles
Oh even the end of diesel seems to be confirmed

Volkswagen Starts Final Countdown To Phase Out Of Gas, Diesel
https://insideevs.com/volkswagen-starts ... as-diesel/

but from a comment that seems rationale:

First of all he speaks about the launch of a platform. Secondly he speaks about a pure combustion engine, so combustion-electric hybrids are still in the mix
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46639 posts
12684 upvotes
divx wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 5:18 pm
EU have a mandate to ban all fossil small passenger vehicles by certain date.
EV is going to a reality in the EU.

I wonder how it will work for Canada where we have an abundant supply of oil and fracking resources. Jobs and economic well-being probably still more important than pristine air quality.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29180 posts
2165 upvotes
Winnipeg
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 5:21 pm
EV is going to a reality in the EU.

I wonder how it will work for Canada where we have an abundant supply of oil and fracking resources. Jobs and economic well-being probably still more important than pristine air quality.
oil is not a factor, norway have a lot oil too, that is not stopping their EV.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46639 posts
12684 upvotes
divx wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 5:25 pm
oil is not a factor, norway have a lot oil too, that is not stopping their EV.
Isn't oil a lot more expensive there than hydro electricity / electricity? Is gasoline price artificially inflated by government taxes?

Here, that may not be the case even with so many tiers of taxes levied on fuel.
Aug 7, 2017
179 posts
151 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 11:59 pm
Truth or dare?

Volkswagen to stop developing gas-powered cars after 2026: report
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/volks ... 2018-12-04
Yeah I've learned to take a gigantic pinch of salt with VW statements - how quickly we forget things like VW says it will be the biggest electric car maker by 2018. These guys are paid to spout optimistic BS and never get called out for it.

EDIT: That was 2013. They also said "the company will sell 14 hybrid and electric models by the end of next year". So that was 5 years ago, they currently have one electric vehicle. Hilarious.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46639 posts
12684 upvotes
bya1998 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 5:52 pm
Yeah I've learned to take a gigantic pinch of salt with VW statements - how quickly we forget things like VW says it will be the biggest electric car maker by 2018. These guys are paid to spout optimistic BS and never get called out for it.
Maybe it just wants the multiples Tesla gets from the market. :)

Or maybe slyly just wants Tesla's multiples to come to more reasonable levels.
Mar 21, 2013
904 posts
617 upvotes
EDMONTON
bya1998 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 5:52 pm

EDIT: That was 2013. They also said "the company will sell 14 hybrid and electric models by the end of next year". So that was 5 years ago, they currently have one electric vehicle. Hilarious.
They are putting out false press releases all the time to discourage people from buying Teslas and encourage them to wait. It's a technique to slow down EV adoption.
Aug 7, 2017
179 posts
151 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 5:54 pm
Maybe it just wants the multiples Tesla gets from the market. :)

Or maybe slyly just wants Tesla's multiples to come to more reasonable levels.
But the crazy thing is they were all making these statements when they were light-years ahead of Tesla in capability. You can only draw the conclusion that they haven't really been trying, probably mainly because it destroys their dealer relationships by reducing servicing revenue vastly.

It's not just VW either - I just found this gem - apparently Ford will have 13 electric vehicles by 2020.. If we're kind and assume Mark Fields meant "by the end of 2020", he has two years to go from one electric vehicle (Ford Focus Electric is all I see in Canada and US and it's long in the tooth) to 13 - so are they really going to produce 12 new models in 24 months - one every two months? That would be quite a miracle! More BS - without a doubt they are simply not trying, it's green-washing at it's finest.
Aug 7, 2017
179 posts
151 upvotes
Blubbs wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 5:57 pm
They are putting out false press releases all the time to discourage people from buying Teslas and encourage them to wait. It's a technique to slow down EV adoption.
Agreed. Imagine if Tesla had made that kind of statement five years ago and fallen so far short?

Such cynical strategies from all the major car makers. Hopefully one day they'll all be shown up for what they've done. It's part of the reason I back Tesla - just to stick it to the lying, polluting companies who've pulled the wool over the eyes of so many people and helped us all down a pretty dismal path, just for the sake of a few $$$.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46639 posts
12684 upvotes
True. I believe they can be profitable with higher-end BEVS but those cheaper mass market 100-150 mile BEVs may not be coming so soon.

Impossible for anyone to want to bleed just to get their BEV numbers up.

I think in EU, by 2021 many ICEVs will be banned from some major cities so the European car makers have that to consider.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
1895 posts
963 upvotes
A lot of governments have 2040 emission goal. Given a typical engine/platform have a life of 10-15 years, 2026 being the last year of a ICE debut just common business sense that sounds like forward thinking.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3518 posts
1123 upvotes
AB
Thinking about reserving a Kona electric in Preferred trim. Any comments against it? Even without rebates here in AB, I think it's still worth it :)