Automotive

Everything about EVs!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2018 7:59 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46795 posts
12766 upvotes
When are getting it, two years after or sometime next year?

I doubt there will be any penalty clause for late deliveries.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3538 posts
1135 upvotes
AB
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 7:59 pm
When are getting it, two years after or sometime next year?
I doubt there will be any penalty clause for late deliveries.
Was that for me?
Dealer in Calgary says if I reserve now, the delivery will be early 2019. The final payment is due once the final price is announced and the delivery date is more exact. The deposit is refundable if I change my mind (final price is too big, other reasons, etc..)
There are two trims, I estimate the price difference will be about $5k between them, so to save some money I would go for the lower trim. I can't see anything significant that would matter for me to pay up more. Here is the comparison between the two trims:
47319751_2253775828196442_7717646254808760320_n.jpg
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46795 posts
12766 upvotes
Yeah, go with a BEV if this is your first car or if your ICEV is going to die soon though I believe you mentioned it's a Honda so not sure why it's about to die.

You probably won't get much discount with these deposit first type of orders.

Yeah, I only see the auto dimming rearview mirror and maybe parking sonar to be features I'd like to have. Stick with the base model.

In my case, my ICEVs aren't dying and EVIP is gone so it's more of a waiting game. Wife drives too much for work (200 km round trip once a week is the major constraint).
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3538 posts
1135 upvotes
AB
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 8:53 pm
Yeah, go with a BEV if this is your first car or if your ICEV is going to die soon though I believe you mentioned it's a Honda so not sure why it's about to die.
You probably won't get much discount with these deposit first type of deals.
Yeah, I only see the auto dimming rearview mirror and maybe parking sonar to be features I'd like to have. Stick with the base model.
In my case, my ICEVs aren't dying and EVIP is gone so it's more a waiting game.
I have an older Kia. It's not dying yet, but I'm tired of it and it's supposed to get some more serious servicing soon, will need to replace some parts and a gasket. Will be expensive. and I don't want to do it.
Regarding the trims, I don't want the sunroof, and don't care for leather or ventilated seats.
Agree on missing auto dimming. Also LED headlights, that sucks, but maybe I can retrofit later by myself. The extra sonar sensors are only for front, the back already has these even in the base. Only other feature is electric drivers seat vs manual, but because it doesn't include memory anyway, I'd rather go for manual will be faster to move it :)
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46795 posts
12766 upvotes
Oh, front sonars are not required especially if you back into parking spots. I'm not as good driving into a parking spot compared to backing into one.

Yeah, we opted for LED lights on our RAV4 because it would draw a smaller current. I noticed in one advertisement the a car maker was suggesting that LED light advantage thought I think the issue with LED is that the light is not as dispersed but ours are really much whiter and brighter.

If you were to switch to LED, hopefully the casing is already LED bulb compatible because I read it blinds oncoming drivers when LED bulb is installed with the existing halogen casing.

I would also go with the cheaper model unless the premium is below $2.5k.

It's amazing how efficient the Korean BEVs are compared to Jaguar or Audi BEVs.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3538 posts
1135 upvotes
AB
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 9:30 pm
Oh, front sonars are not required especially if you back into parking spots. I'm not as good driving into a parking spot compared to backing into one.
Yeah, we opted for LED lights on our RAV4 because it would draw a smaller current. I noticed in one advertisement the a car maker was suggesting that LED light advantage thought I think the issue with LED is that the light is not as dispersed but ours are really much whiter and brighter.
If you were to switch to LED, hopefully the casing is already LED bulb compatible because I read it blinds oncoming drivers when LED bulb is installed with the existing halogen casing.
I would also go with the cheaper model unless the premium is below $2.5k.
It's amazing how efficient the Korean BEVs are compared to Jaguar or Audi BEVs.
Nope, it will be about $5k more. Here are all the features of the highest trim compiled in a list.
Ultimate trim.jpg
Looks like a good number of extras, but when I take these apart individually and think of the potential price difference, it doesn't seem attractive anymore.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46795 posts
12766 upvotes
Just save the difference for future repairs, if at all.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5162 posts
1773 upvotes
Kingston, ON
bya1998 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 6:02 pm
It's not just VW either - I just found this gem - apparently Ford will have 13 electric vehicles by 2020.. If we're kind and assume Mark Fields meant "by the end of 2020", he has two years to go from one electric vehicle (Ford Focus Electric is all I see in Canada and US and it's long in the tooth) to 13 - so are they really going to produce 12 new models in 24 months - one every two months? That would be quite a miracle! More BS - without a doubt they are simply not trying, it's green-washing at it's finest.
They're counting PHEVs and even hybrids as "electrified models," so that one's actually achievable as-worded. New Aviator out next year has a PHEV model. Explorer & Police version will have Hybrid to start and eventually PHEV. Then the all-electric model now rumoured to be called Mach E, plus hybrid/PHEV Escape models (new one out next year), and hybrid Mustang and F-150.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46795 posts
12766 upvotes
I know this is old news but besides BC, are there any other province that plan to phase in sales targets for electric vehicles? I know Ontario's 2020 target is not likely going to be met with the disappearance of the EVIP.

BC to phase out sales of non-electric cars by 2040
https://www.electrive.com/2018/11/21/bc ... s-by-2040/

The government of British Columbia said they will introduce legislation next year detailing the shift in transport that will require all new light-duty cars and trucks sold in the province by 2040 to be electric or zero-emission vehicles.

The province will phase in the sales targets for electric vehicles, starting at 10 percent by 2025, rising to 30 percent by 2030 and 100 percent by 2040.
Feb 14, 2018
297 posts
143 upvotes
bya1998 wrote:
But the crazy thing is they were all making these statements when they were light-years ahead of Tesla in capability. You can only draw the conclusion that they haven't really been trying, probably mainly because it destroys their dealer relationships by reducing servicing revenue vastly.

It's not just VW either - I just found this gem - apparently Ford will have 13 electric vehicles by 2020.. If we're kind and assume Mark Fields meant "by the end of 2020", he has two years to go from one electric vehicle (Ford Focus Electric is all I see in Canada and US and it's long in the tooth) to 13 - so are they really going to produce 12 new models in 24 months - one every two months? That would be quite a miracle! More BS - without a doubt they are simply not trying, it's green-washing at it's finest.

The Ford and VW claims go together. Ford is talking with VW to manufacture VW BEVs under both brand names, at plants where they used to make ICE sedans IN North America. Oakville etc.

This would be win win if it happens. VW needs manufacturing space in North America, an Ford needs EVs to stay in the market.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3538 posts
1135 upvotes
AB
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 10:31 am
I know this is old news but besides BC, are there any other province that plan to phase in sales targets for electric vehicles? I know Ontario's 2020 target is not likely going to be met with the disappearance of the EVIP.
BC to phase out sales of non-electric cars by 2040
https://www.electrive.com/2018/11/21/bc ... s-by-2040/
The government of British Columbia said they will introduce legislation next year detailing the shift in transport that will require all new light-duty cars and trucks sold in the province by 2040 to be electric or zero-emission vehicles.
The province will phase in the sales targets for electric vehicles, starting at 10 percent by 2025, rising to 30 percent by 2030 and 100 percent by 2040.
Does BC have enough power generation capacity or do they plan to continue importing coal generated electricity from AB every time the internal demand is too high?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46795 posts
12766 upvotes
Maybe they are building their infrastructure now. :)

If only Ontario would promulgate similar targets (yet again?) so that manufacturers will be forced to sell BEVs in decent numbers.
Dec 19, 2015
462 posts
231 upvotes
Calgary, AB
bya1998 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 5:52 pm
Yeah I've learned to take a gigantic pinch of salt with VW statements - how quickly we forget things like VW says it will be the biggest electric car maker by 2018. These guys are paid to spout optimistic BS and never get called out for it.

EDIT: That was 2013. They also said "the company will sell 14 hybrid and electric models by the end of next year". So that was 5 years ago, they currently have one electric vehicle. Hilarious.
And they have PHEV versions of almost all their other models... You're confusing BEV's with plugins.

You're right about the number one point though. They're seventh (when the three chinese brands are included). That does place them as one of the leaders in electrified vehicles - Nissan/Renault, Tesla and BMW being ahead of them in the Europe and North America.
https://insideevs.com/electric-car-sale ... -oem-2018/

Whether they do produce their last ICE engine around that time will depend on the market and technology, but it's nice to have a long term plan, even if it ends up going awry.

It's also worth pointing out that was prior to the MEB platform launch. Since that was announced (2015 IIRC) their timelines have so far been accurate.
Dec 19, 2015
462 posts
231 upvotes
Calgary, AB
bya1998 wrote:
But the crazy thing is they were all making these statements when they were light-years ahead of Tesla in capability. You can only draw the conclusion that they haven't really been trying, probably mainly because it destroys their dealer relationships by reducing servicing revenue vastly.

And yet more confusion. Are you intentionally confusing things?

Presumably you were linking to this article from 2016, where he said electrified, not electric
Ford Motor plans to spend $4.5 billion to introduce 13 new electrified models by 2020, CEO Mark Fields announced today in Dearborn.

Fields said 40% of its nameplates globally will be electrified by the end of the decade, up from 13% now. They will be a mix of hybrids, plug-in hybrids and full battery-powered electric vehicles.
Ford have at least four electrified vehicles available in north America. Two Fusions, a C-Max and the FFE. Europe has a few as well. There's also the new Transit and a couple of other PHEV's they're testing, not to mention the PHEV F150 which is supposed to be available in 2020 or the BEV CUV they've announced will be on the market in around 2020 too.

That's not including any of the planned Lincoln vehicles, such as the Aviator that was announced at the LA auto show.

So no, they don't need to produce 12 new electrified vehicles in 24 months. They're over half way there already.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29216 posts
2176 upvotes
Winnipeg
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 5:27 pm
Isn't oil a lot more expensive there than hydro electricity / electricity? Is gasoline price artificially inflated by government taxes?

Here, that may not be the case even with so many tiers of taxes levied on fuel.
good chuck of our gas prices is also tax, it just means our system is not as efficient as norway.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

xrvr, DarkKnight_1