• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2019 7:46 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13243 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 10:33 am
Preheat the car while it is charging. Makes a whole lot of difference.

Also to maximize range, turn down the cabin heat and turn up seat heater. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

So far with winter weather & studded tire, my winter consumption is around 180 Wh/km compared to 145 in the summer.

I got exactly 7km/hr for my Model 3 from level 1 charging.
You think the $40k USD Y is really possible in two years' time?
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11456 posts
1866 upvotes
RFD
b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 10:33 am
Preheat the car while it is charging. Makes a whole lot of difference.

Also to maximize range, turn down the cabin heat and turn up seat heater. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

So far with winter weather & studded tire, my winter consumption is around 180 Wh/km compared to 145 in the summer.

I got exactly 7km/hr for my Model 3 from level 1 charging.
I got 15.2 kWh/100 KM (or 152 Wh/100 KM) the other day driving to work and back. Ioniq with winter tires. Seat warmers on the Ioniq at highest setting is really hot so this helps me not to use heating most of the time. Seat warmers on the new Leaf is lukewarm by comparison.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
2297 posts
818 upvotes
Pothole city
radeonboy wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 5:06 pm
I got 15.2 kWh/100 KM (or 152 Wh/100 KM) the other day driving to work and back. Ioniq with winter tires. Seat warmers on the Ioniq at highest setting is really hot so this helps me not to use heating most of the time. Seat warmers on the new Leaf is lukewarm by comparison.
The only way you can really compare range during winter, is with a weather reference. Temp and wind are the biggest factor.
My daily drive to work at same cruising speed of 95km/h...

20C = 13 kwh/100km
10C = 15 kwh/100km
0C = 17 kwh/100km
-10C = 20 kwh/100km
Sep 30, 2007
657 posts
421 upvotes
divx wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 11:51 pm
Pulling 12A consistently from a standard plug is sketchy. As far as efficiency goes, I am impressed they are rated around 200Wh/km now, it used to be higher.
LOL. Pls don't bother anymore using electric kettle/toaster/microwave/hair dryer and so on. IT'S SKETCHY too.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29370 posts
2227 upvotes
Winnipeg
xrvr wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:35 pm
LOL. Pls don't bother anymore using electric kettle/toaster/microwave/hair dryer and so on. IT'S SKETCHY too.
because you run those things for 30 hours straight.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1577 posts
424 upvotes
GTA
divx wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:42 pm
because you run those things for 30 hours straight.
If your wiring is done correctly there should be no issue pulling the rated Volts/Watts/Amps from a circuit for any length of time. I had an issue at someone house plugged into a regular outlet in the garage, but I think the garage door opener tripped the circuit breaker (didn't notice either so car did not charge for the 4 hours I thought it would), what i'll do next time is close the garage door opener before plugging in the car so as to not exceed the 15A circuit for a short burst.

It's really no different than pulling 32 Amp on 40Amp breaker for 10 hours charging as well. Just don't exceed 80% of the breaker and you should be fine.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29370 posts
2227 upvotes
Winnipeg
wackojacko wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:01 am
If your wiring is done correctly there should be no issue pulling the rated Volts/Watts/Amps from a circuit for any length of time. I had an issue at someone house plugged into a regular outlet in the garage, but I think the garage door opener tripped the circuit breaker (didn't notice either so car did not charge for the 4 hours I thought it would), what i'll do next time is close the garage door opener before plugging in the car so as to not exceed the 15A circuit for a short burst.

It's really no different than pulling 32 Amp on 40Amp breaker for 10 hours charging as well. Just don't exceed 80% of the breaker and you should be fine.
most plugs aren't on dedicated circuit, you need to know not to overload it, also older houses may have old wiring which could be an issue.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1577 posts
424 upvotes
GTA
divx wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:15 am
most plugs aren't on dedicated circuit, you need to know not to overload it, also older houses may have old wiring which could be an issue.
Yup what I saidGrinning Face. Outside plugs should be their own circuit. Garage plug like I said had the garage door opener ceiling plug on it and caused a trip. Breaker will trip, if not you should have replaced your wiring long ago.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3567 posts
1145 upvotes
AB
Sadly cancelled my Kona pre-order. Can't pay $50k for a car that drives, looks and is made like a $25k car. Will just get a used ICE or hybrid to hold me over until prices come down for EVs.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13243 upvotes
ciuvak wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 4:15 pm
Sadly cancelled my Kona pre-order. Can't pay $50k for a car that drives, looks and is made like a $25k car. Will just get a used ICE or hybrid to hold me over until prices come down for EVs.
bingo!

Those trims are both overpriced by at least $15k. Your gasoline is probably like 80 cents in AB.

Go used RAV4H!
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11456 posts
1866 upvotes
RFD
Agree get a used Hybrid instead. Don't buy at those prices.

I used to think it'll take a decade in Canada to get EVs affordable for everyone, but its probably going to take longer because Canada is so far behind the curve its depressing to realize.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2930 posts
1108 upvotes
Now that many Ontario buyers have passed 1 year of ownership, has anyone tried to sell their car out of the province?

Resale value isn't great in Ontario and Quebec, but really good in BC.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Koodo $40 for 5GB Public Mobile migration plan.

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Aug 7, 2017
219 posts
176 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 1:58 pm
the bar is set so low with the current EV offerings, including Tesla on the quality-front.

I don't think it's going to be amazing on any specific feature but at least we are certain that the leases will be more competitive than on a Tesla.
Regarding quality are you speaking based on experience or FUD you read online? Tesla Model 3s are flying off the shelves. I’ve owned mine since June and done 24,000km with no “quality” issues (or servicing for that matter). As for the bar being low, Tesla is embarrassing Audi and all the old dinosaurs with their execution over and over again. Shouldn’t the biggest car company in the world have been all over EVs by now? Shouldn’t they have crushed Tesla even coming from behind given their vast resources? If the bar is so low we’re clearly looking at an organization so stuck in the past that it can’t even attempt to scale it.

As for the Audi leases being competitive the e-Tron is $90k for the cheap trim. Whatever magic you do with the lease factors that’s a pricey car especially for what’s likely to be a not very competitive range. My bet is a fair number of people will buy them for image but at the end of the day it will be another half-hearted, “hope this disruptive EV thing goes away” effort from Audi.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13243 upvotes
bya1998 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 7:59 pm
Regarding quality are you speaking based on experience or FUD you read online? Tesla Model 3s are flying off the shelves. I’ve owned mine since June and done 24,000km with no “quality” issues (or servicing for that matter). As for the bar being low, Tesla is embarrassing Audi and all the old dinosaurs with their execution over and over again. Shouldn’t the biggest car company in the world have been all over EVs by now? Shouldn’t they have crushed Tesla even coming from behind given their vast resources? If the bar is so low we’re clearly looking at an organization so stuck in the past that it can’t even attempt to scale it.

As for the Audi leases being competitive the e-Tron is $90k for the cheap trim. Whatever magic you do with the lease factors that’s a pricey car especially for what’s likely to be a not very competitive range. My bet is a fair number of people will buy them for image but at the end of the day it will be another half-hearted, “hope this disruptive EV thing goes away” effort from Audi.
TMC. Initial knock down by Munro.

Okay. Will ask you for an update post warranty or post ESA.

No clue how Tesla is embarrassing others when the $35k unicorn isn't available yet.

A friend has the S. His highly recommended became just neutral over the course of ownership. Even another coming from a S4 has his own fair share of nuisances like screen going blank.

Hopefully your Tesla is a lemon and you find no major issues with it for the next while.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

Bb0231