• Jan 21st, 2019 7:46 pm
Sep 21, 2004
9513 posts
3186 upvotes
Calgary
bya1998 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 9:03 pm
So much hate. Get a life.
Ha, I have you beat at 26000km in the last 6 months.

Alan is always focusing on out of warranty repairs, but he probably just made a typo.

The fact is clear, Model 3 owners love their cars and don't want to sell them. A rough estimate is that Audi A4 owners are 30x more likely to sell their cars as well 40x BMW owners 3 series compared to Tesla Model 3 owners.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/01/06/te ... car-sales/
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Feb 14, 2018
304 posts
143 upvotes
Regulatory pushback in Canada may limit some new advanced self driving features, on Tesla and others. Would be interesting to understand where the Canadian government is on these issues.

From Electrek:

“Tesla has already been seeing pushback for its original Summon feature under its Autopilot system.

For example, the feature in Canada is quite limited and require owners to be just a few feet away from the car in order to work, which limits the usefulness. Tesla said that it was due to regulatory limitations.”
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5216 posts
1814 upvotes
Kingston, ON
EvMart wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:12 am
Regulatory pushback in Canada may limit some new advanced self driving features, on Tesla and others. Would be interesting to understand where the Canadian government is on these issues.

From Electrek:

“Tesla has already been seeing pushback for its original Summon feature under its Autopilot system.

For example, the feature in Canada is quite limited and require owners to be just a few feet away from the car in order to work, which limits the usefulness. Tesla said that it was due to regulatory limitations.”
Conversely, Ontario has become a bit of an autonomous-vehicle-testing hotbed, as the provincial government has been allowing testing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/driver ... -1.4298548
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/f ... -1.4047606
https://ottawasun.com/business/local-bu ... 37fdb869d9
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/ ... -1.4646188

So testing + jobs that come with it, yes. Doesn't mean Transport Canada is going to rubber stamp every Level 2/3/4 system that comes to market.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4286 posts
534 upvotes
Ottawa
EvMart wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:12 am

From Electrek:

Actually, I hadn't realized it was even available at all in Canada. I thought it was blocked because of the requirement to physically push the brakes to shift the car into gear ...
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13243 upvotes
bya1998 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 9:03 pm
So much hate. Get a life.
LOL. You are just trying to justify your purchase.

Just told you I have two friends with Model S'es and I guess anecdotally, my evidence that reliable is below average trumps your one-person experience. So you can't handle that and asked me to get a life, which you probably don't have outside your Model 3 bragging.

The other ones still loves it more than his S4 but the rattles and screen issues are some of his complaints that he didn't have to encounter on his S4. And this guy's net worth is at least $20 m CAD easily.

Update:
I'm not getting any smarter responding to you so I've put you on ignore. Not worth my time. Enjoy your M3 until your warranty ends.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Jan 10th, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4286 posts
534 upvotes
Ottawa
Mike15 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:37 am
...So testing + jobs that come with it, yes. Doesn't mean Transport Canada is going to rubber stamp every Level 2/3/4 system that comes to market.
Funny that you mention that, just yesterday I noticed an internal posting with Transport Canada (I think it was TC) looking for someone for a position related to regulations for autonomous vehicles.

And a few years ago, when I worked in Kanata, you could often see them testing autonomous vehicles in the parking lot (at QNX office) (I only worked nearby, not for them)
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13243 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:42 pm
Ha, I have you beat at 26000km in the last 6 months.

Alan is always focusing on out of warranty repairs, but he probably just made a typo.

The fact is clear, Model 3 owners love their cars and don't want to sell them. A rough estimate is that Audi A4 owners are 30x more likely to sell their cars as well 40x BMW owners 3 series compared to Tesla Model 3 owners.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/01/06/te ... car-sales/
Of course I am focused on out of warranty or post-ESA repairs, the total cost of ownership over a decade a more is more important to me than performance and gas savings in the early years. This is precisely why I want to go BEV for the next purchase but I have the liberty to wait it out since we have three Japanese cars in the household, two of which are so depreciated, no sense selling them until the right BEV comes along.

I mean, I expect BEVs to be more reliable than ICEVs and you are right, German engineering doesn't mean squat in terms of engine reliability.

I am happy for Model 3 owners who love their cars but I'm just being realistic that it's going to be expensive to fix your Tesla's once the warranty ends. Going for the ESA right before warranty ends is what a sane person would do.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3567 posts
1145 upvotes
AB
Last evening watched a few recent model 3 videos on youtube pointing out paint issues and body panels not aligning properly. People still love the driving part, but disappointed that they have to accept imperfections while paying premium car prices.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
4508 posts
901 upvotes
Toronto
TBH i regret selling our EV, great cars. Too bad the rebate is gone and ours wasnt feasible for winter.

It'd be the perfect car for somewhere thats warm all year round
Phones for sale
Signing up for Koodo / Public Mobile ? 😉
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
4508 posts
901 upvotes
Toronto
TBH i regret selling our EV, great cars. Too bad the rebate is gone and ours wasnt feasible for winter.

Phones for sale
Signing up for Koodo / Public Mobile ? 😉
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29370 posts
2227 upvotes
Winnipeg
Gotoff wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:20 pm

what car and how much?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13243 upvotes
ciuvak wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:10 pm
Last evening watched a few recent model 3 videos on youtube pointing out paint issues and body panels not aligning properly. People still love the driving part, but disappointed that they have to accept imperfections while paying premium car prices.
I don't mind the imperfections but three main factors, in the right order, that resulted in my M3 cancellation:

• investment holdings tanked middle of last year so I wasn't going to finance a $65k car for shit and giggles and put my households' finances in jeopardy just to avail of the EVIP. I wanted AWD too and I would have missed the EVIP so the LR AWD would have been what, $80k for me?
  • expensive to maintain post ESA (I had every intention of buying the ESA) and my oldest ICEV is almost 17 years now and the other is eight, which demonstrates I am willing to drive my cars into the ground. Tesla book rate was at least $200 USD (based on someone who I met at an independent shop who interned in SoCal and checked out a Service Center there) so maybe close to $300 CAD/hour here and reliability compared to Honda and Toyota will likely be subpar and much more expensive
  • $5k USD for EAP, no heated steering wheel, another $5k for comfort package and it's not going to be easy for three drivers to use with just a screen for adjusting everything (I know there is memory rear view mirror and seats but even a memory switch would have been more intuitive for three users)

My wife and daughter were not happy with my decision lol.

I'm glad I did because there will be other exciting entry level luxury BEVs that will come out in the next few years that may be priced like the M3 but could be a lot cheaper to maintain in the long-run and it's not like we're spending more than $4k in gasoline costs a year so not a biggie since depreciation and repair costs for unreliable makes will trump that amount in no time.

Update:

Also, if I have some investment theme / conviction that pans out (KAT - Katanga Mining), I may make upwards of 100% return (could lose it all but I think it's a calculated risk worth taking) on additional and existing investment money so makes perfect sense to defer the BEV purchase until I find something that meets my simple and non-demanding criteria. My investment conviction is based on the premise that there is no looking back or turning around from the EV revolution. So, I'm definitely not a Tesla or BEV hater. :)
Aug 7, 2017
219 posts
176 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:55 am
LOL. You are just trying to justify your purchase.

Just told you I have two friends with Model S'es and I guess anecdotally, my evidence that reliable is below average trumps your one-person experience. So you can't handle that and asked me to get a life, which you probably don't have outside your Model 3 bragging.

The other ones still loves it more than his S4 but the rattles and screen issues are some of his complaints that he didn't have to encounter on his S4. And this guy's net worth is at least $20 m CAD easily.
Not at all, very happy with my purchase and don't need anyone else to validate - far from bragging, I post in here to bring a realistic perspective - the majority of people get their facts from the Tesla FUD posted all over the internet - if you read that and many opinions on here, by rights I should now have gone up in flames long ago, autopilot should have a long list of kills and accidents and the wind should be whistling through my giant panel gaps. As it is, I've had none of those issues and there are many like me.

What I am responding to about hate is you "hoping I got a lemon". What a dick thing to say - you obviously have issues buddy, as much as you carefully edit and re-edit your posts. Probably you're trying to justify your Model 3 cancellation - FOMO and envy in full swing. Just because you bottled it and decided not to go ahead doesn't mean you have to bash people who decided to make a different choice. Grow up please.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
2142 posts
2092 upvotes
Canada
bya1998 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:09 pm
What I am responding to about hate is you "hoping I got a lemon". What a dick thing to say - you obviously have issues buddy, as much as you carefully edit and re-edit your posts. Probably you're trying to justify your Model 3 cancellation - FOMO and envy in full swing. Just because you bottled it and decided not to go ahead doesn't mean you have to bash people who decided to make a different choice. Grow up please.
Pretty sure he meant 'Hopefully your Tesla is not a lemon and you find no major issues with it for the next while.' Otherwise, the past part of the sentence doesn't make sense. Also, judging by alan's posts I doubt he would ever wish someone to get a lemon for no apperrent reason.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13243 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:42 pm
Pretty sure he meant 'Hopefully your Tesla is not a lemon and you find no major issues with it for the next while.' Otherwise, the past part of the sentence doesn't make sense. Also, judging by alan's posts I doubt he would ever wish someone to get a lemon for no apperrent reason.
I meant a lemon. That means I was hoping his Tesla will be way above the average Tesla reliability.

I meant for his car to be above average quality lol.

You are right, I never wish ill on people. I don't have time for that nonsense.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

Bb0231