2737 posts
297 upvotes
Ottawa
lecale wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:09 pm
DRAIN THE SWAMP!!!

The other huge scandal Mueller brought to light this week
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 52e7bf0bd8
The president appoints over 3500 positions in the federal government, and they're not all for top-level jobs. Should we be surprised that some of the lower level jobs are filled by people who didn't have impressive jobs beforehand?

Also, you can't always judge someone's skills and talent by the last job they held.
Last edited by ConsoleWatcher on Nov 8th, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9555 posts
1241 upvotes
Toronto
Alot of people here still eating humble pie yet still trying to make mince meat out of the whole thing Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13394 posts
1223 upvotes
I try to explain to people that the tragedy of Trump isn't really about the orange guy in the suit. It's about the fact that we desperately need at least a partial technocratic government to thrive in this age, and instead we have the most powerful country in the world fetishizing the past. People who think that anecdotal evidence is just as valid as scientific data, that the flag, patriotism and military support are all the same thing, that common sense regulation is out the question if it steps on centuries old dogma written on vellum parchment, and that work/jobs for their own sake are more important than analyzing the usefulness of the work being done. It's a culture kicking and screaming at the clock, as time marches us inevitably forward.

All of this teary-eyed Glen Beck bullshit, is just a generation unwilling to let go of the past. This idea of America being a country of winners is a desperate attempt to recapture the glory of post-WWII prosperity. It's time to let go. Embrace the present. Get rid of your cable. Buy an electric vehicle. Start working 2 days from home. Figure it out America. You're embarrassing yourselves.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1190 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
lecale wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:09 pm
DRAIN THE SWAMP!!!

The other huge scandal Mueller brought to light this week
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 52e7bf0bd8
Yeah.. this is like watching a blindfolded kid swing at a pinata and hope something hits.

Whatever happened to the Jeff Sessions->Russia conspiracies? I'm sad that with this conspiracy topic still going 1.5 years later they've laid off the Sessions conspiracy, of course, following Claire McCaskill's entertaining tweets, playing on the everyone-who-knows-or-talks-to-a-Russian-is-linked-to-Putin McCarthyism paranoia on crack, while I guess forgetting all her non SOP (friendly) meetings with high ranking Russians. Of course, unlike the hilariously thoughtless drones repeating it, I'm not under the naive impression that anyone who talks to a Russian or anyone in the Russian government is inherently linked to Putin and/or is trying to interfere in US elections.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15801 posts
469 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Syne wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 7:28 pm
I try to explain to people that the tragedy of Trump isn't really about the orange guy in the suit. It's about the fact that we desperately need at least a partial technocratic government to thrive in this age, and instead we have the most powerful country in the world fetishizing the past. People who think that anecdotal evidence is just as valid as scientific data, that the flag, patriotism and military support are all the same thing, that common sense regulation is out the question if it steps on centuries old dogma written on vellum parchment, and that work/jobs for their own sake are more important than analyzing the usefulness of the work being done. It's a culture kicking and screaming at the clock, as time marches us inevitably forward.

All of this teary-eyed Glen Beck bullshit, is just a generation unwilling to let go of the past. This idea of America being a country of winners is a desperate attempt to recapture the glory of post-WWII prosperity. It's time to let go. Embrace the present. Get rid of your cable. Buy an electric vehicle. Start working 2 days from home. Figure it out America. You're embarrassing yourselves.
You make too much sense for this thread. ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1256 upvotes
Syne wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 7:28 pm

But the American kleptocrats now in power made their money in coal and chemicals, not solar or tech...they are protecting their dying industries. Their plot just happens to jive with American nostalgia. Trump got the senior vote out to support the kleptocracy.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2730 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
lecale wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:37 am
But the American kleptocrats now in power made their money in coal and chemicals, not solar or tech...they are protecting their dying industries. Their plot just happens to jive with American nostalgia. Trump got the senior vote out to support the kleptocracy.
it's not Russians anymore?
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1190 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
eldeejay wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:45 pm
it's not Russians anymore?
Just people flailing wildly, and making Trump look better at the same time.

Can you imagine how badly this guy would look if not for the fit throwing lefties? People would be asking what the hell is he doing in the White House..
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:44 pm
Alot of people here still eating humble pie yet still trying to make mince meat out of the whole thing Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
What are you even talking about?

Trump is at a 34% approval rating - he is a war mongering moron and anyone who likes him shows what they are made of. Enough said.
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1190 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
springdays wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:59 pm
What are you even talking about?

Trump is at a 34% approval rating - he is a war mongering moron and anyone who likes him shows what they are made of. Enough said.
Explain to me the relevance of approval rating.

Does it make Trump not President anymore? Does it make a difference on the 2020 election? Does it mean he's being impeached?

Or is it just a meaningless statistic to make NeverTrumpers feel like they're getting their way?
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
You amuse me so much, AndySixx, I kind of feel sorry for you :)
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1190 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
springdays wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:12 pm
You amuse me so much, AndySixx, I kind of feel sorry for you :)
In the end, your response and clear avoidance of debating the issue, opting for the ad hominem, makes me feel that much better about myself and where I stand. It also is a prototypical example of why Trump will look better every time if this is the type of logic he's up against.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
hehehehe Oh thank you AndySixx - made my day :D :D laughing so hard Brilliant
Feb 13, 2017
100 posts
10 upvotes
"'Isis is finished': Syria declares end of terror group's 'project' as last town held by jihadis falls to army.
Isis fighters scatter out into desert in Iraq and Syria, and can no longer claim any major territorial control"
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 45466.html

Amazing what happens when you stop sending money/arms and training to "moderate rebels"

For those who forget, the US has been spending billions on "moderate rebels" to try and overthrow Syria.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/26/politics/ ... index.html

July 2017: President Trump has decided to end the CIA’s covert program to arm and train moderate Syrian rebels battling the government of Bashar al-Assad, a move long sought by Russia, according to U.S. officials.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 7a37bc7b8b
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1190 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
teamocil wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:25 pm
"'Isis is finished': Syria declares end of terror group's 'project' as last town held by jihadis falls to army.
Isis fighters scatter out into desert in Iraq and Syria, and can no longer claim any major territorial control"
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 45466.html

Amazing what happens when you stop sending money/arms and training to "moderate rebels"

For those who forget, the US has been spending billions on "moderate rebels" to try and overthrow Syria.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/26/politics/ ... index.html

July 2017: President Trump has decided to end the CIA’s covert program to arm and train moderate Syrian rebels battling the government of Bashar al-Assad, a move long sought by Russia, according to U.S. officials.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 7a37bc7b8b
We'll see if Trump then turns around and does what the US has been doing for decades (as pointed out in the articles).. arming some other group that turns around and uses those funds to attack US interests, domestically and abroad.

I swear this has to be one of the dumbest foreign policies ever. And the fact that the US has sustained it for this long.. :facepalm:

Anyways, I hope against the odds Trump does the right thing. My expectations are rock bottom though.

There is no doubt that some ambiguous amount of successful terrorist attacks and countless attempted/foiled ones are largely in part due to blowback from reckless policies globally.