• Jun 15th, 2018 10:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2006
1229 posts
482 upvotes
Thunder Bay

Excellent Article on Curiosity

Though curiosity tends to decline with age, keeping novel-seeking behavior and a sense of wonder throughout life helps people to stay young.
Erin Wildermuth

Curiosity keeps you young

Though curiosity tends to decline with age, keeping novelty-seeking behavior and a sense of wonder throughout life helps people to stay young. A 1996 longitudinal study followed 1,118 aging individuals while tracking their curiosity levels. Those who exhibited high levels of curiosity were more likely to be alive five years later, even after accounting for other risk factors.

How does it work? As in most complex systems, we can’t be 100 percent sure, but research points to neurotransmitters. Curiosity activates the brain’s reward centers, which are regulated by dopamine. This particular neurotransmitter is less prevalent in aging brains and has been linked to cognitive decline. There is almost certainly more going on, but understanding the dopamine response is an important piece of the puzzle.
Cultivating curiosity

Curiosity can decline with age, or it can become an intrinsically woven part of your adult life. Here are 3 ways to keep your curiosity alive and well.

1. Find wonder

You don’t need to go trekking the Himalayas or scuba diving in a blue hole to find wonder. It is more of a mindset than an experience. Choose to notice the world around you. Take a moment to stop and revel in a sunset. Spend an afternoon with the sole mission of following bees back to their hive. Buy a camera. Nothing fancy. Framing beauty is a great way to learn to appreciate it.

2. Break the routine

Routine can be a blessing. It helps us focus on what we’re doing and allows us to build consistent, healthy habits. Routine is a great productivity hack, but not every day needs to be a productive one. Take time to break the routine. Try something new. Better yet, try something that makes you just a little apprehensive.

Routine is a great productivity hack, but not every day needs to be a productive one.
Erin Wildermuth

3. Learn something new

Most people learn new things every day, but these things are often in one particular area of interest. Learn something entirely new. If you’re a book person, learn something physical. If you’re always on the move, learn the benefits of stillness. It isn’t what you learn that is important, but that you are stretching new muscles, whether mental or physical.
Full Article Link Here
I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity. -Al
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4464 posts
1787 upvotes
Toronto
Curiosity made me click on this thread... I feel younger already
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1111 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
I'm not curious at all. I could not even get through what was quoted.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3159 posts
760 upvotes
Parry Sound
So we're just going to post articles now? At least present an argument or something from your own mouth and mind for us to discuss and/or debate...

Low effort, low content.

Thread closed. Your mayor has spoken.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1747 posts
543 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I was expecting to read about cats.
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6188 posts
1343 upvotes
poleman wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 9:29 pm
I was expecting to read about cats.
Does looking at pictures/videos of cats, and other animals...count as curiosity?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1685 posts
494 upvotes
Winnipeg
peanutz wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 9:49 pm
Does looking at pictures/videos of cats, and other animals...count as curiosity?
Yes, but then it kills them...
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1685 posts
494 upvotes
Winnipeg
Yeah, I am always like curious and all...yeah like wateva and all...
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29673 posts
1151 upvotes
Fernando Po
Not even curious enough to read it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2006
1229 posts
482 upvotes
Thunder Bay
amitdi wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 11:09 am
Yes, but then it kills them...
Subtle references and humor are are way too obscure for most of this millennial crowd Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity. -Al
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1685 posts
494 upvotes
Winnipeg
GROSS wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 11:57 am
Subtle references and humor are are way too obscure for most of this millennial crowd Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
saying such things about millennials....you are GROSS...Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3159 posts
760 upvotes
Parry Sound
GROSS wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 11:57 am
amitdi wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 12:23 pm
saying such things about millennials....you are GROSS...Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
ITT: Old people who think they're clever and funny
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2006
1229 posts
482 upvotes
Thunder Bay
amitdi wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 12:23 pm

You can call me 12 squared.....Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2091 posts
268 upvotes
In another world
roblombardi wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 4:07 pm
Curiosity made me click on this thread... I feel younger already
Same as me!!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7572 posts
1974 upvotes
Toronto
when someone says something i find curious i like to give them the ole spock eyebrow. fascinating i know
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.