Page 1 of 2

exchange your coins(Canadian or US at PAR) for paper currency - no fees

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 2:38 am
by popbottle
some safeway supermarkets have coin changers too, but you have to pay 10% to use them. the BMO ones are free.

http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/bankin ... in-counter
BMO Bank of Montreal Coin Counters are a fast, convenient and free way to count and deposit loose change right into your BMO account or trade it in for cash.

Features:

Free – This service is completely free to both BMO and non-BMO customers
Fast – Our Coin Counter is one of the fastest machines available
Accepts USD coins – No need to sort out U.S currency, just include them with your Canadian coins and they’ll be accepted at par.

Re: exchange your coins(Canadian or US at PAR) for paper currency - no fees

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 2:44 am
by ccyk
thanks for info :idea:

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 2:50 am
by Tornado F2
Where's the "Hot Deal"? :confused:

Do they accept Mexican Pesos at par too perhaps? :razz:

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 2:52 am
by popbottle
well the only other easy way to get rid of coins, including pennies, is to go to the automated cashiers at real canadian superstore- but then the coin slots are VERTICAL so you have to feed the coins in one by one-

but the ones at safeway and bmo have hoppers so you just dump it in and away you go

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 3:00 am
by canadianstephen
Thanks Op, but there is only one in Calgary and it is too far from my house. On a side note, some safeways self checkouts coin intake system allows you to dump the coins in.

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 7:08 am
by Travellled
canadianstephen wrote: Thanks Op, but there is only one in Calgary and it is too far from my house. On a side note, some safeways self checkouts coin intake system allows you to dump the coins in.

i can't see which Calgary location has the coin counter. I'd drive across the entire city to dump my coins into one of these.

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 11:38 am
by Laserheart
Tornado F2 wrote: Where's the "Hot Deal"? :confused:

Do they accept Mexican Pesos at par too perhaps? :razz:

This is a Freebie forum, not a Hot Deal forum, and this is definitely a freebie.

most exellent

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 11:44 am
by bobbycat
most excellent :D
now I can get rid of all them pennies
YES! :lol:

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 12:47 pm
by nippleholic
if you live in Ontario, TD has this too: http://www.moneyville.ca/blog/post/8745 ... n-counters

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 2:21 pm
by pathfinder35
That link to BMO website has a link to find branches with coin counters. But the search returns all branches in my city.
All of the branches can't have these machines, can they? Do I have to call to find out if there are any in Regina?

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 2:30 pm
by Shazam
bobbycat wrote: most excellent :D
now I can get rid of all them pennies
YES! :lol:

if they are the older copper pennies (I think 1970's and prior), u should hang on to them as they are worth 2x face value and climbing...

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 2:33 pm
by Shazam
so does the machine only accept round numbers of value where bills can be issued (e.g. $ 5, 10, 20,...) or does it print out a receipt that u take to the teller?

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 2:34 pm
by thelefteyeguy
bmo is so late to the party....as a customer i hate them being so late to the party.

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 2:48 pm
by pathfinder35
After waiting on hold for 15 minutes, the agent then puts me on hold to go and find out if Regina has any.
Another 5 minutes and the answer is no...but I could try Metro food stores . I informed her we don't have Metro in the west...
I wouldn't be doing any banking at BMO...(yes, I'm annoyed at being on hold for so long...)

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 2:59 pm
by Bulwark
pathfinder35 wrote: That link to BMO website has a link to find branches with coin counters. But the search returns all branches in my city.
All of the branches can't have these machines, can they? Do I have to call to find out if there are any in Regina?

Once the search window loads, there's an option for "Advanced Search". When you click that, a few more options appear, one of which is a checkbox for "coin counter".

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 3:09 pm
by pathfinder35
Bulwark wrote: Once the search window loads, there's an option for "Advanced Search". When you click that, a few more options appear, one of which is a checkbox for "coin counter".

So there's one in Saskatoon...

Thank you - that would have been alot easier than calling! But even the agent didn't know about the advanced search or it wouldn't have taken her 5 minutes to tell me...

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 4:07 pm
by thelefteyeguy
if anyone lives around Markham and Bur Oak....that BMo has had one for a while.

Posted: Jan 5th, 2012 4:16 pm
by canadianstephen
Travellled wrote: i can't see which Calgary location has the coin counter. I'd drive across the entire city to dump my coins into one of these.

Most Safeway and RCSS stores have coin counters but they charge a fee (about 10%). But at the Beddington Safeway, you can dump a handful of coins in at a time at the self-checkouts as payment.

Posted: Jan 6th, 2012 4:55 am
by RFDdietpepsi
i see none in winnipeg. blah

Posted: Jan 6th, 2012 11:25 am
by 514AlexG
Anyone use these machines before? I've heard coin counters can be inaccurate and they tend to short change you more often then not. I could always count the change before hand but can you even dispute it of it's wrong?