Shopping Discussion

Locked: Exchanging a free iPad for an iPad 2

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2011 7:06 pm
[OP]
Jan 29, 2008
6 posts

Exchanging a free iPad for an iPad 2

Hey folks, I bought a new car (a Cruze) and it came with a free iPad (1st gen). I haven't opened the box yet, and was considering taking it to an Apple Store and seeing if I could exchange it for an iPad 2. I don't mind paying the difference and even a restocking fee if I can make the exchange. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Am I better off trying to make the exchange at a Best Buy or something?
Share:
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7688 posts
777 upvotes
North York
I don't think any store will let you can do an exchange without a receipt.

Most people sell the item the don't want and use the proceeds to purchase the item they do want.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21286 posts
2113 upvotes
Gryffin wrote:
May 19th, 2011 2:22 am
Hey folks, I bought a new car (a Cruze) and it came with a free iPad (1st gen). I haven't opened the box yet, and was considering taking it to an Apple Store and seeing if I could exchange it for an iPad 2. I don't mind paying the difference and even a restocking fee if I can make the exchange. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Am I better off trying to make the exchange at a Best Buy or something?

There is no trade-up program.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20264 posts
4211 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Just sell the ipad.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Dec 23, 2006
693 posts
125 upvotes
Montreal
There is only one way to find out, go to the apple store. Worse case scenario, they say no and you sell on ebay/kijiji/craig's list or here.

Good luck.

What model is it? I'm assuming Wifi 16 GB?
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
Gryffin wrote:
May 19th, 2011 2:22 am
You posted this as a joke, right?

What retailer do you know of that takes back merchandise THEY DIDN'T SELL IN THE FIRST PLACE?????
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3893 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
Wingding wrote:
May 19th, 2011 8:47 am

What retailer do you know of that takes back merchandise THEY DIDN'T SELL IN THE FIRST PLACE?????
From my own experiences The Bay and WalMart. :cheesygri

I'm sure other RFDrs can share their experiences too.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4100 upvotes
Ottawa
I'll give you $50 and a can of shaving gel?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
mjl_toronto wrote:
May 19th, 2011 9:02 am
From my own experiences The Bay and WalMart. :cheesygri

I'm sure other RFDrs can share their experiences too.
You obviously don't get out too often. Both of those retailers stopped doing exchanges/refunds without receipts some time ago.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1970 posts
84 upvotes
Wingding wrote:
May 19th, 2011 10:06 am
You obviously don't get out too often. Both of those retailers stopped doing exchanges/refunds without receipts some time ago.

IIRC Staples still does in-store credit for returns without receipts
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3893 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
Wingding wrote:
May 19th, 2011 10:06 am

Nope, haven't done it in a while. But you didn't ask for current retailers. I'm just saying there are several examples of retailers refunding/exchanging merchandise they didn't sell. Probably a lot harder to find these days, but I'm sure it still happens.
[OP]
Jan 29, 2008
6 posts
Ohlias wrote:
May 19th, 2011 8:16 am
There is only one way to find out, go to the apple store. Worse case scenario, they say no and you sell on ebay/kijiji/craig's list or here.

Good luck.

What model is it? I'm assuming Wifi 16 GB?
Thanks. It's a Wifi 16gb. I did some calling around and generally Apple stores in the area don't have them in stock anyway (unsurprisingly), so I'll likely just keep it. I just figured if I could get a reduction on an upgrade, that I should go for it.
Apr 13, 2009
871 posts
109 upvotes
Wingding wrote:
May 19th, 2011 8:47 am

It's not a totally wacky question when you consider how tightly Apple runs their distribution.

I doubt they would take it in, but like I say the question isn't that bizarre.

To the OP, your best bet is to leave it sealed and just sell it privately.

The minimum configuration ipad1's are a very hot seller because it's the cheapest way to get an ipad. Depending on things, if you keep it sealed and confirm the service dates on Apple's web site, you'll probably get $350-400 for it which you can put towards an iPad 2.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1234 posts
366 upvotes
I had a friend that did that, but he had an ipod that he won at some company event and wanted an ipod touch. He argued with them and said he was an apple fan and emailed apple's head office and he actually able to do it.

I think you need to be very persistent to do this.
Apr 13, 2009
871 posts
109 upvotes
You might find the basic model is good enough. iPad 2 adds cameras and a processing upgrade, plus an interim option for feeding out to a display.

If you don't care about those features, most programs do fine on the basic ipad 1 cpu/gpu. A few apps won't work if they need the specific extras that are on iPad2.

But you're getting the same screen, the same touch control, the same OS, the same networking, the same battery life, the same weight, the same size* and so on. (*iPad 2 is a little thinner)

For half the money you get about 95% of the features.

As for capacity, cloud storage options mean the 16 GB storage is not as much a limitation as it was previously deemed to be.